Modding Help Move the Greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Wakaitsu, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Wakaitsu

Wakaitsu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not a fan of huge open spaces, and so from the first day playing SDV I was literaly dreaming of moving that greenhouse closer to my farmhouse. And making the entire map SMALLER in general.
    I searched for tutorials on how to do so, but all I found was the instructions of how to unpack the archieves. No words on actual case.

What I want to ask is - if it even possible to move the greenhouse? Or is this structure too heavily coded to be changed at all?

• TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ento is probably gonna correct me on some of this
      The greenhouse structure is actually not placed via the map but by the .exe so the location is hardcoded, i.e. it always will be the square between 25,10, 25, 15, 31,10 and 31,15 on the map
      Even the big farm mods don't change that.
      The actual space of the greenhouse is a big block of background layer tiles in the building layer probably because the structure itself has no collision attached to it.
      The 'door' is actually placed on the map though, so if you can find a way to change the coordinates the .exe uses to place the greenhouse structure, you could change the location but good luck with that

TL;DR Most likely you can't.

• Wakaitsu

Aaaaaaaaw, such a waste =( I'm an absolute noob in coding, the're no way for me to get this to work.
        What about the map size then? I saw people making the map bigger, but no mods for the map made smaller for some reason. Is the map hardcoded too to have sum minimal size?

• TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Most people want MORE space to plant stuff and place actual buildings, not less, so nobody makes small farm mods
          theoretically you could eliminate almost the entire farm. You could make it so tiny that it's just your house and even have the greenhouse outside map boundaries but what the hell for?
          You'll have to learn map editing to make your own tiny, check the map editing pinned thread for info.

• Wakaitsu

But it IS possible to make map tiny, right? 'cause this is what I want to know. Would be a huge waste of time to learn all the process just to find out that the map itself has its minimal size hardcoded.
            As for "most people argument" - well, there're still that less people who want their map small :)

• rodrigovaz

rodrigovaz Lucky Number 13

Could you elaborate on that? I haven't played enough to build the greenhouse in game but I assume it takes the place of some of these destroyed buildings that are to the left of my house. Are you saying that the collision is ON the map rather than on the building sprite?

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

From my experience the map size isn't hard coded as people have been making it bigger, but the problem with making it smaller is that certain objects on the map are hardcoded like granpa's shrine, greenhouse, the teleports to adjacent maps/cave, the deliverybox and the map must start at tile 1,1.

Inspiration just hit me. You could edit the map smaller by visually decreasing the available farming space but have trails leading off to the various locations. Thus making a large map look small. This might be a fun project, how small were you looking to make the farm. My idea is to make the farm space about the size from the house to the greenhouse wide and about 5 tiles below the house long. It'll be a edit of my farm map mod.

Edit: Something likes this, quick preview
                minifarm.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
                • Wakaitsu

Damn, I just knew something like this would ruin the whole idea! =( Meh...
                  Should give an idea to developers, maybe. This could be a good chalenge to try and live of small piece of land, eh?

Hmm, that edit you did... it could work for me. Just needs to add a little more chaos to it, to look more "natural". Do you need any help with it where I can be of use?

• rodrigovaz

Are you sure the grandpa's shrine is hardcoded? I couldn't find any reference to it in the code, I did find of the greenhouse but I'm almost sure I can get a workaround to place the greenhouse anywhere I want.

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

Well, I'm not the most knowledable when it come to code, there are other people who work with it more than I. I would assume the game uses code when deciding the amount of candles to lite and that would be location specific as their is nothing in the map file itself to dictate that. Correction to my earlier post, warp locations to adjacent maps are not hardcoded, those can be change in the map file as they are a tile property. Anyone who knows more is free to paint me red and correct me.

All I need is feedback and suggestions to make it more "chaotic/natural". The actually editing of the map is easy.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The location of your grandfathers grave, the greenhouse, the spouse area and your own house are all hardcoded in the exe, and the only way to change any of them would require some black magic I am uncertain is safe to even try.

Despite that, there is nothing stopping you from removing essentially the whole bottom half or more of the farm, you would just need to adjust the Forest warps to match the new size.
                        Or, you can, as has been suggested, decrease the available space without changing the size at all, simply by adding more visual stuff to prevent you from using the space.

• rodrigovaz

Is the greenhouse built on top of that "destroyed" building to the left of the farmhouse?
                          If so, I can imagine two ways to actually move the greenhouse from its place, one needs little use of SMAPI but is a little too weird and would take a few tries or either good preparation to work.

Unfortunately I can't find the grandpa's shrine/grave anywhere in the code, this is awkward.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The destroyed building *is* the greenhouse, both versions of it are handled by the code.

The grave itself is tiles, but the note from your grandfather and the blue flames representing how many conditions you managed on the last evaluation is handled by the code.

• rodrigovaz

Oh, I did find the note and the candles.

I don't see how complex it would be to change both of their positions sincerely. If anyone is interested in trying this, all we'd need is a smaller map to test it on.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

And you can do it without replacing the Farm class with one of your own?

• rodrigovaz

I do not see why not. I'm not going to lie saying that it is optimal and a perfect solution but it's not like there's much choice in that.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Because if you replace the Farm the serializer crashes unless you augment that, and that means either A: Depending on EntoFramework, or B: Being incompatible with EntoFramework and other raw-serializer-editing mods.

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

Well seeing as I have not heard anything, I assume that the map I made is suitable. Here is the link to download. http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/822/?

• Wakaitsu

Ahh, I just thought that you'd like to continue that discussion in PM, so not to flood the thread! So sorry about that = =* And still ty for the edit