Multiple, separate, selectable installations

Discussion in 'Other' started by Nate McCloud, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

This idea is inspired by Minecraft's ability to create multiple selectable "versions" with optional separate installation directories. This is so players can pick from a number of different installations at whatever game version they like, and they can install a set of mods with one installation while still having other mods/no mods on a different installation.

As a Starbound example of this, with this idea, I'd be able to have one installation that's vanilla and is updated as new updates are released; I could have one installation that goes all the way back to the very first beta (because I miss regular battle themes!)...and one is updated regularly, but has a megamod like FrackinUniverse installed. This would allow people to use mods with major changes like the FU mod, but would still allow them to use a separate set of characters and separate universe file to play with their friends who don't have that mod installed without having to remove the mod and delete/move their universe/character files.

Even if you don't include the ability to play earlier versions of the game, it would still be nice to have multiple selectable installations of the game so we can swap between playing with different mod sets.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You can just copy the game folder to anywhere on your computer and run it directly from there. Same effect.

3. Nate McCloud

I suppose so...but would those installations automatically update to the latest version?

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

No, however updates are infrequent now so copying over the new files would take a few minutes tops. Hell, a simple batch script could automate it for you during a bathroom break, but really the time is a non-issue. A single copy/pasta of the game folder isn't much work.

5. Nate McCloud

All right. Thanks.