1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue My character has disappeared from game

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by XBGT, Jul 25, 2016.

1. XBGT

XBGT Void-Bound Voyager

I was playing Starbound, like always everyday, and surprise in the middle of the game - blackout. So I wait until power come back, I ran game and...

...and as the title... my character just dissapeared from "Select Character" list.

I'am a little bit frustrated becouse I was playing a lot and all my progress just gone!
    I was trying to use backup files from griaffe storage folder but that didn't helpt. Meybe I was doing something wrong, or there is annother solution?

Please for any feedback!

zelvokocka likes this.
  2. Nott Emportant

Nott Emportant Space Hobo

Best Answer
    1. Find the directory where your saves are. If you're on steam it's gonna be C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\starbound\storage\player
    If you're using GoG, C:\GOG games\starbound\storage\player

2. You're going to see a hand full of files with extremely long names, ending with ".player", ".shipworld", and ".bak1" "back2." and ".bac3".

3. To be safe in case you mess up, copy all the files in the folder into another folder as backups.

3. Delete the file ending with ".player", then edit the name of the file that was right under it. In the name, delete ".bak1" at the end and press enter. A box will come up warning you that changing the extension may make the file unuseable, click yes on the box. This file should now be a PLAYER file type.

4. Delete the file ending with ".shipworld", then edit the name of the file that was right under it. In the name, delete ".bak1" at the end and press enter. A box will come up warning you that changing the extension may make the file unuseable, click yes on the box. This file should now be a SHIPWORLD file type.

Now launch starbound, and you should have everything you had at the last time you saved & quit. :party:
    Any progress you had after that is lost though.

A_Sassy_Potatoe and XBGT like this.
  3. SeroRamai

SeroRamai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I had the same thing this morning. Only heard maybe 2 claps of thunder, so I teleported into my ship and started dispersing my goods into chests... Power flicker.

Character is not even in the "Select Character" either; Only reference is in the starbound folders.
    Steam post: http://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/3/352788917761081561/

4. Nott Emportant

Nott Emportant Space Hobo

Best Answer
    1. Find the directory where your saves are. If you're on steam it's gonna be C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\starbound\storage\player
    If you're using GoG, C:\GOG games\starbound\storage\player

2. You're going to see a hand full of files with extremely long names, ending with ".player", ".shipworld", and ".bak1" "back2." and ".bac3".

3. To be safe in case you mess up, copy all the files in the folder into another folder as backups.

3. Delete the file ending with ".player", then edit the name of the file that was right under it. In the name, delete ".bak1" at the end and press enter. A box will come up warning you that changing the extension may make the file unuseable, click yes on the box. This file should now be a PLAYER file type.

4. Delete the file ending with ".shipworld", then edit the name of the file that was right under it. In the name, delete ".bak1" at the end and press enter. A box will come up warning you that changing the extension may make the file unuseable, click yes on the box. This file should now be a SHIPWORLD file type.

Now launch starbound, and you should have everything you had at the last time you saved & quit. :party:
    Any progress you had after that is lost though.

A_Sassy_Potatoe and XBGT like this.
  5. XBGT

XBGT Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks You very much, it workt! :megusta:

6. SeroRamai

SeroRamai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This brought me back to where I was before playing this morning. I can definitely use this!! Thanks! :D

7. Hale

Hale Space Hobo

I did this, and it got my character back, but many times it says "Exception caught in client main-loop (IOException) write error 112" And my character disappears again. I can still get it back with the process, but it keeps happening more and more.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  8. zabadu4

zabadu4 Space Hobo

I don't have another file ending with .bak1 under the .shipworld file.
    Is there a way I can solve this?