1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue My Game Stutters When I Walk

Discussion in 'Support' started by CaptainHuckle, Mar 7, 2019.

1. CaptainHuckle

CaptainHuckle Intergalactic Tourist

Hey,

I use to play Stardew Valley a while back and I never had any issues with the game.
    Recently I've been playing it again but I've been getting some issues. I notice a stutter issue when walking around (or maybe an fps drop issue) and it can get kind of bad. Hurts my eyes to play.
    I've updated my drivers, the game, repaired the xna file (even uninstalled it and reinstalled) uninstalled, and reinstalled the game, and I've verified integrity cache or whatever that thing is called. I'm not sure what else I can do to fix this.

I use to play perfectly fine in windowed/borderless window until now and I have tried fullscreen mode to see if it fixes the issue and it doesn't fix the issue.

I've been messing around with a bunch of fixes and I've even tried downloading that fix somebody uploaded for the xna framework thingy and that didn't help either. It's gotten to the point where I don't even have the "_CommonRedist" folder anymore and I can't seem to get the folder back even through reinstalling the game.

I'll upload my specs in case that's required:
    CPU: Intel i7-7700k
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060
    RAM: 8GB
    I play it on Steam.

I've already tried contacting the developers through the provided email on the website and so far I've gotten no response. Does anybody know what else I could try?
    Thank you.

• RowlBrandywine

RowlBrandywine Void-Bound Voyager

I have been having the same problem. If I play after rebooting my computer everything is fine. If I exit the game, and come back to it later this problem starts up. The screen seems to freeze for a moment, the sound pauses, then I move again. If i move the mouse on the start screen I can see it pause as well when this is going to happen. I have to assume process is running from the previous start that conflicts but have not been able to figure this out. Tried running full screen, or borderless window, both have the problem. Vsync on/off doesn't help (usually keep off as I have AMD system with freesync card/monitor). Problem has existed for at least a year now. I "think" it started with the 1.3 release but I can't be positive.

-Rowl

• thmtrxhsu

thmtrxhsu Void-Bound Voyager

Note: Windows 10 builds beyond version 1607 introduce middle man diagnostic layer between directx and video card; I will bet you both have newer versions of Windows 10. This is notorious for causing frame drops in all games created without it in mind which is a lot. I had a similar issue on the android version, but it was on a cheap TV box whose video card and cpu is very under-powered compared to any galaxy S8. To prove it is a Windows issue, try dual booting Linux and install Stardew valley for Linux; the problem with probably vanish like thin air. Windows and Mac OSX have become very complicated operating systems that are so big and have so many variable they are bound to cause lots of unexpected behavior. Ubuntu by comparison is about 10X leaner than both Windows 10 and OSX. Note: Newer Nvidia drivers could also be the issue. But as you see all issues point to Windows related or low hardware related...beyond that it could only be mod related.