Modding Help My patching attempts have failed...

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Turnovus, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Turnovus

Turnovus Void-Bound Voyager

I know absolutely nothing about modding, apart from what I gathered from some source code and learned from old forum posts. I have been attempting to, as my first mod, add a craft-able stylophone to the game. I searched the forums looking for answers as to how I can make the item's recipe always available, but it causes the game to crash either after the Chucklefish logo, or right before the title screen. The item can be crafted at the wire station and shares recipes with the sliding door. For the most part, it's a re-skin of some other instruments. Here's what I have so far:

The .recipe file:

{
    "input" : [
    { "item" : "durasteelbar", "count" : 2 },
    { "item" : "siliconboard", "count" : 1 },
    { "item" : "wire", "count" : 5 },
    { "item" : "smallbattery", "count" : 1 }
    ],
    "output" : {
    "item" : "stylophone",
    "count" : 1
    },
    "groups" : [ "craftingwiring", "mechanics", "all" ]
    }​

The player.config.patch file:

]
    [ {"op":"add","path":"/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value":"{"item":"stylophone"}," } ]
    ]​

My ultimate question: What is wrong? I am fairly certain that the issue lies within the .config.patch file, as the mod worked fine without it, but it would be nice to craft the item without admin privileges enabled. Additionally, will the effects of the patch permanently affect the player.config file, and will it be safe to remove the mod from my mod folder after the patch?

And, if it helps, I got most of my information from this thread: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/basic-patching-now-with-path-guide-v1-9.84496/

2. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

The problem looks like it is the item inputs, they are incorrectly written out { "item" : "item_name", "count" : number } is the correct way. Inputs 1, 2 and 4 are incorrectly written but three is fine, the output is also correctly written.
    It also looks like you misplaced a few of your quotation marks in the player.config.patch. This is the correct way { "op": "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value": { "item" : "item_name" } }.

Honestly you did better than my first try at patching, you simply misplaced a few things.

Turnovus likes this.
  3. Turnovus

Turnovus Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for your help, the mod now works just fine. Upon close inspection, I discovered my largest issue lied within line 1 in the .config.patch file, which was actually pretty hilarious when I realized it. However, this advice will likely help me with future mods. Again, thank you.
    upload_2017-6-5_8-35-49.png