My Quest for Perfect White Slimes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brandiganBTW, Apr 20, 2020.

1. brandiganBTW

brandiganBTW Void-Bound Voyager

This one was a doozy... According to the wiki, white slimes exist and can potentially drop diamonds 100% of the time. I wanted to test this out and chronicled my journey here:

The internet tells me that slime hutches are a waste of time, you can’t profit off of them, and I never found evidence that white slimes exist. But if white slimes do exist and they can theoretically drop diamonds 100% of the time... well... the sky's the limit.

I went through several seasons worth of breeding and a failed first experiment but I can now say that white slimes do in fact exist! The next step is guaranteeing diamond drops and that's why i'm posting here. Do you think there is an easier method than the 1 in 2,024 chance of a white slime with even Red, Green, and Blue values? I hope so but i'm pretty committed to making this a reality at this point!

[​IMG]

Shepherd_0 and WilliamZ like this.
    • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No ideas on making it easier to find "perfect" white slimes, sorry. But have some miscellaneous comments!

I assume "perfect" white slimes are unlikely to look much different from other white slimes. Maybe a mod to point out any perfect white slimes would at least help make it faster to realize when you've succeeded? A mod to spawn slimes with specific values would also be nice to double-check the wiki. Yes, I realize that proposing mods without having any ability to actually make them reality is not necessarily super helpful.

I don't think you need the binomial coefficient for this? Whatever the red number is, the probability that blue will match it is 1/24, and the probability that green will match it is also 1/24. So the total probability of a slime with equal red, blue, and green values is 1/(24^2) = 1/576. Better than your value, but still pretty awful in terms of finding one in a realistic amount of time.
      Or, if you're not convinced by that argument, consider: I assume you know enough probability to know that Pr(Event A AND event :cool: = Pr(event A) * Pr (event :cool:, and Pr(event A OR event :cool: = Pr(event A) + Pr(event :cool: - Pr(event A AND event :cool: (where Pr(x) stands for "the probability of x happening"). The probability that all three colour values are 231 is (1/24)^3 = 1/(24^3). Similarly, Pr(all 232) = 1/(24^3), and so on. So Pr(all 231 or all 232 or ... or all 250) = 1/(24^3)+ ... + 1/(24^3) = 24 * (1/(24^3)) = 1/(24^2) = 1/576.

That's assuming from your video that the condition you need to hit is "all three colour values are the same". The wiki says "100% if all red, green, and blue values are even numbers" which I would initially have assumed to mean "all three numbers are divisible by 2", but that's a (1/2)^3) = 1/8 chance (well, slightly lower because the range 231-255 contains one more odd number than even number, but 1/8 is close enough). But that doesn't make sense, since it looks like you killed ~50 white slimes, so the probability of your not hitting a 1/8 chance after 50 tries is only (7/8)^50 = 0.1%.
      Anyone out there who knows how to look into the code and is willing to check what the actual condition is for diamond drops?
      Also, just to double-check, you didn't get any stone from killing all those whites, right? i.e. you're sure there were no grays hiding in the mix?

BTW, the forum thread https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/slime-breeding.111300/ says there's an AMA from CA somewhere that states that you can theoretically breed purple slimes to always do 1 damage and drop iridium. No clue how you'd breed for the drop, but I guess you could breed for low damage purple slimes and see what happens? OTOH that requires deliberately letting them hit you, which seems annoying to pull off without dying.

• brandiganBTW

I really appreciate the feedback! I think you're right about the probability and I need to check it again... my thought process was that I still need to calculate event probability for A, B, and C with 24 possible outcomes for each. Either way, the odds are not ideal and I did get some stone in the mix so the more i breed, the more variation / gray slimes will appear.

Thanks for linking that thread; i'll check it out! Guaranteeing iridium ore may be a much more efficient slime experiment and that's definitely something I want to explore!

• brandiganBTW

I have some follow-up on this project! After more breeding in an attempt to get white slimes with the same RGB values for a 100% diamond drop rate, I wasn't making any progress. I spoke with a few people who were very helpful and kept this idea alive.

The game changer was when i was told about the data mining feature on the Farm Type Manager mod. This lets me see what the RGB values are for each slime. The final piece to this puzzle was the revelation that the RGB values don't need to be the same; rather, just even numbers. I created several generations of 255-255-255 and 249-249-249 slimes but the numbers must be even, not the same. So finally, i was able to achieve a farm full of white slimes that drop diamonds when slain with the RGB color values 252-252-252.

100+ hours and i'm ready to put this project to rest!