1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Named cat Robin. Now game crashes while saving after completing a quest for Robin. [Switch]

Discussion in 'Support' started by rabernat, Feb 19, 2018.

1. rabernat

rabernat Space Hobo

Summary
    I named my cat Robin, and now the game crashes while sleeping if I turned in a quest to Robin (the carpenter) that day.

Environment
    I started playing Stardew Valley on Switch a few weeks ago. I have version 1.2.36 and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been updated during the time I've been playing.

Incidents

Early on, I experienced multiple crashes while trying to finish the "Lost Axe" untimed quest for Robin. Each time the game would crash while saving and I had to replay the same day again. At the time, I didn't know the source of the problem. I eventually was able to complete the quest and continued with the game, but I don't remember the details now.

Later, I accepted a timed bulletin-board quest from Robin to gather wood. After gathering enough wood, I noticed something weird about the quest screen. Where it should have said "Talk to Robin", it said "Talk to StardewValley.Characters.Cat"! (See screenshot below.) This is why I believe that my cat's name is connected to the crashes.

I was able to turn the quest in to Robin (the carpenter) successfully, but the game crashed when saving that night, forcing me to replay that day. That time I skipped turning in the quest and all was fine.

Workaround

I've been ignoring or canceling all Robin quests, and haven't experienced any more crashes.

Fix?
    If you can't fix the underlying issue, it should be pretty easy to add a warning to the pet name prompt that prevents them from naming the cat the same as any existing character. I can only imagine that there might be similar issues with the horse and maybe even farm animals.

Let me know if I can give any more information that might help.

stardew-valley.jpg