Napalm Ring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pangaearocks, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Pangaearocks

Pangaearocks Big Damn Hero

Have you used it? What is your experience with it?

I have used it a couple of times, and think it could be quite useful, especially in Skull Cavern. With some luck you kill enemies and reveal a stair or hole at the same time.

The difficult aspect is to choose what other ring to use. So far I've used Iridium Band + Burglar's Ring. If I swap out Iridium Band (which I did in that Skull run), you deal less damage, and waste time as items won't get "sucked" into your pockets. Hard to drop Burglar's Ring as you would half drop chances (iirc?).

Other than that tricky choice, it was fun to use it. Also helps against mummies. If you are fortunate with timing and get a napalm ring explosion while mummies are down, they will get killed by the blast.

Wish we had three ring spots, though, that would have been awesome.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I was thinking about this ring, combining it with Lava Katana and Desperado Skill, but I find hard to sacrifice the Iridium Band to have Napalm Ring + Aquamarine Ring.
      Other good combinations are the Warrior Ring for those that went to the Brute route, the Savage Ring is nice but we always walk with speed buff inside the Skull Cavern anyways.

• Pangaearocks

Pangaearocks Big Damn Hero

Spent a day fishing because I'm not sure what to do any more, and got rather lucky: out of a pirate chest pops Glaive + Iridium Band. So now I have two. I need four hands! :D

Think I will try out using two Iridium Bands, since I have them anyway. But I do love the vastly increased drops from Burglar's Ring, and the explosions from the Napalm Ring have actually been quite useful. So difficult to choose what to wear. I don't particularly like your suggestions of Savage, Warrior or Aquamarine ring though. They seem pretty underwhelming compared to some of the others. If the speed buff for Savage ring was longer than 2 seconds I could see the use, but two seconds is so short. And due to the very low crit chances, the aquamarine ring doesn't really do much. Had it been +10% flat chance it would be something else, but not the way the math apparently works, as described on the wiki page.

The Napalm Ring is pretty cool though. It's probably only a 2 tile radius explosion, but it can still be really helpful if you position yourself nearby many rocks.

Would be nice (but vastly overpowered) if we could put a ring on each finger.

Oh, and duel wield Galaxy Swords :D

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, Savage Ring is fun but it's not worth taking up one of your two ring slots IMO. Would be really cool if there were some way to increase your max number of rings.

I'd say the most useful rings are iridium band, magnet ring, glow ring, burglar ring, and maybe the napalm ring (haven't tried it yet). Slime charmer can be useful if you're being slowed a lot, and it's basically a necessity if you're raising slimes.
          I guess the really min-max-y strategy would be to wear double iridium bands, switch to burglar ring + napalm ring every time you kill an enemy, and then immediately switch back? But that sounds way too fiddly and annoying for me to actually do. I'm probably going to stick with iridium+magnet, although I might try out iridium + napalm.

• Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Haven't tried it yet but I don't see napalm ring being that useful. It could be used to kill mummies like was mentioned but it's better to group them up and explode several at a time. Positioning yourself to blow up rocks is definitely more time consuming and tedious than just using bombs or slingshot + explosive ammo (even with the nerf). I normally use dual iridium bands but have recently switched to iridium + burglar because I wanted more drops (which I don't even need).

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe crafting/convert rings into earrings and necklaces with the same effects.