Navigation UI Desperately needs some tweaks.

Discussion in 'Other' started by Xylia, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

While I love the new Navigation System, the UI man... the UI.

It's a pain in the butt to actually use, because of some issues I will outline in this thread:

#1 Top Grievance: HOW DO YOU CLOSE INFO POPUPS!? I hate this. When I click on a system or a planet, it pops up a little window. YOU CAN'T CLOSE IT AND IT TAKES UP SO MUCH STINKING ROOM IN THE UI! Sorry about the all-caps but this is frustrating as all crap. If you hit Escape, you close THE ENTIRE NAV UI instead of just the popup. Try to click elsewhere and nothing happens, or worse, if you're in a system and viewing a planet, clicking elsewhere will probably zoom you back out to the systems view. The only way around this, if you're in systems view, is to drag the whole universe around to try and move the window off to the side, click another system just to move the window away from what you want to click, and then click the system you're trying to get to.

Suggestions:

1). Escape = Close Popup, THEN close Nav UI if no popups exist. 'nough said.
    2). Get rid of the "Click on the outskirts to zoom out" and make it so that if you left-click empty space, it closes any popups that are there. Add a "Zoom Out" button in the top-left of the UI, instead. More on this later.
    3). Put a "Close" Button on the popup windows themselves.

#2 Game-breaking Bug: If you have a particularly large system, planets on the outskirts are 100% inaccessible, because the game wants to zoom out to Systems view if you're trying to click on a planet whose orbit is too close to the edge of the UI.

Suggestions: #2 above.

#3: Ship Travel Annoyances: Why is it, when I right-click a planet, and I go to this planet, I'm not actually orbiting the planet, but I'm in dead space, in my own orbit? Then I gotta navigate again to actually get TO the planet. Also, it'd be nice if I could see what the bodies that are orbiting a planet actually are, kind alike systems. You mouse-over a system, you get a list of all the planet types in that system. Why can't we do the same for a planet? Instead of "2 orbiting bodies" it could say that there's a moon and a forest instead. Also, why can't I see what kind of planet it is without having to actually fly there? Why can't it just tell me what a planet is, and what its orbiting bodies are, without me having to physically fly there?

#4: Closing and Re-opening the Nav UI is annoying: Situation: I navigate to a planet. There are two other objects orbiting this planet. For whatever reason I close the Nav UI. When I re-open it, I'm in the entire system view. When I click on the planet I want to view... it flies my ship to deadspace orbit around this planet... nice, now I gotta fly back in to the planet, another navigation and another 5-10 seconds. And yes, I know there's a "View" button, but sometimes I forget it's there, and you really shouldn't have to click that. If you're orbiting a planet that you want to view you should automatically view it instead of flying to deadspace orbit if you click on it, lol. That doesn't really make any sense to be honest.

2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

And you should add 5: Too Zoomed In. The navigation UI needs to be able to zoom out in the star map. Right now, it's so zoomed in that it's difficult to see more than a few stars (Admittedly, this is only really an issue with FU, but still).
    As for 3, it should always be possible to see and bookmark what is in planet systems, even if the specific system is unexplored, considering that, right now, finding a specific planet type is more annoying than it used to.

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You can click on a star and it will list all the planet types in that system.

But this is a mixed bag of worms in itself -- with FU, you will sometimes get planet lists so large (8+) that the popup window goes out of bounds in the UI and gets truncated, lol.

4. Efrim

Efrim Pangalactic Porcupine

I'll add one - Nav window size. It should fill the screen. That at least would make the galaxy map feel less claustrophobic. Claustrophobic is the last thing I should feel when choosing which star to fly to.

STCW262 likes this.
  5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So apparently there've been some ninja edits or something, unless Frackin'Universe somehow fixed it... but now, Left-Clicking on empty space closes popups. Not sure when this happened, but this was a hugely needed change.

6. Zaflis

Zaflis Pangalactic Porcupine

Current Navigation Console is very unintuitive, even though i appreciate the new additions.

1. UI like this should disable other controls of character. You are sitting on a chair, you don't need to use mousewheel to select a different weapon when you can't even see the player, use it to zoom in/out instead.
    2. More zoom levels.
    3. In solar system view everything is too tiny. Scale planets and ship icons up a little. I know it's unrealistic, but if we really were realistic the planets would be so tiny you wouldn't see them at all.
    4. Right click starts traveling to location instantly, without confirmation... What i expected when first started was like from other games; left-click to focus in, and right click to zoom out. This was completely different... What i would do perhaps is type down there "Press space to warp". I mean spacebar would not cause character to jump if you implement 1), instead if would make ship move towards target location. With left click you would choose where to go to, even a point in empty space.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. Salahir

Salahir Seal Broken

Bah, this zoom stuff while you cannot reach planets on the outer rims is a pain in the butt. Is there a solution around it already or is it still annoying "test fly" clicking to outer planets?

8. PeacefulGangsta

PeacefulGangsta Aquatic Astronaut

I hope in another update they bring back the navigation system from precious versions cause this one is simple yet confusing cause I'm more use to the other versions