Need help catching a squid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurora Paradox, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Aurora Paradox

Aurora Paradox Astral Cartographer

I'm going through my first winter and received the quest to catch a squid.

Unfortunately, I haven't been having any luck. I tried multiple spots and so far I have yet to catch one squid. I'm using standard bait and a dressed spinner when I remember to buy one. I don't have sheep so I can't craft one.

Should I be using wild bait or fishing in a specific spot?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Fish anywhere by the beach area after 6pm. You just have to keep at it until one bites. They only show up in the evening so don't bother fishing until at least 6. Bait/Spinner will only make fish bites more likely, not any one specific fish bite more likely but it's still worth using them to avoid pulling junk.

• Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

I've fished the squid up multiple times during either Fall or WInter (I forget which one exactly) at night and at the pier in the ocean. The pier at the tidepool area across the bridge, not the one in front if Willy's house. Could work anywhere though, but that was just my usual spot.

• Gorgon

Gorgon Space Spelunker

I donĀ“t know if this is a spoiler, but i use the wiki for this:
          http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Fish
          (Thanks to the makers)

For getting the harder fish (and squid are the ones), i use bait, put some "trap bobber" on, eat some "Dish O' The Sea" (gives +3 fishing) and even the hardest one are not so difficult any more. Without this, they just jump away in an instant.
          But even with this, i often only are able to fish at most two of them per evening.

• Aurora Paradox

I'll try using trap bobber. I probably should have mentioned that I'm level 10 in fishing. Do I still get the +3 boost if your level 10?

• Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Yes you do. Bonus buffs are applied after your overall level.

• Aurora Paradox

Thanks for the tips everyone. I was able to catch three squid. The trap bobber helped a lot. I caught them fishing off the bridge by the tide pools. The end of the bridge on the left side to precise.