Modding Help Need Help on Reference for Weapon Balancing

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by zilgaant, Jan 10, 2017.

1. zilgaant

zilgaant Subatomic Cosmonaut

Let's make it simple,

Does anyone know any "mod with balanced weapons from tier1 to tier6" or anything to be used as reference to balance out weapons? or maybe point out any vanilla weapons that have unrandom tiers?
    Pretty Please :nurunaughty:

2. zilgaant

or maybe i'll change the question, which mod do you think have the balanced weapon stats (tier1 - tier6) in the forum?

3. Vinderex

Vinderex Pangalactic Porcupine

Your best bet would be just extracting and looking at the vanilla assets. Weapons are located in items/active/weapons. From there you can look in the Protectorate folder for most of the standard non-random melee weapons, and the Novakid folder for guns. The tier of the weapon you're referencing shouldn't matter since all weapons of the same type will have the same base stats, and their actual strength in-game is calculated from its level as well. So if you've got a good tier 1 weapon, then you can turn it any other tier weapon just by changing its level value and leaving everything else untouched, and you can count on it still being just as balanced.

4. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

One method I've used in the past is using Weapon Stats.

I test and log the DPS of a weapon, also noting combo steps, and general reach.
    From there, I've adjusted my own weapons accordingly. (Believe me, it's easier than simply guessing base damage values and testing them.)

5. zilgaant

thanks a lot guysss!!

6. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Aquatic Astronaut

What are these "balanced weapons" you speak of? I've never heard of such a thing.

7. zilgaant

balanced just like vanilla i mean, because i make tiered weapons and i don't want them to be like OP or something like that.

8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

That was a joke.

Anyway, a simple way to figure out what the appropriate damage for a weapon should be is to look at the vanilla damage for similar weapons. Looking at the Asuterosaberu DX, for example, we see that a tier 6 sword has around 40 DPS, and since every tier adds +.5x the damage, the base DPS for a sword (without taking tier modifiers into account) should be around 40/(1+5*.5)=40/3.5=11.4. So, if you are making a sword, for example, 11.4 damage is a reasonable amount of damage to give it, not taking into account the weapon's tier. It's also worth noting that if a weapon does something special, you should usually lower the DPS slightly in response. For example, the adaptable crossbow can attack using any element, which even before elemental damage resistances and weaknesses resulted in it getting a lower DPS than other ranged weapons to compensate for its versatility. The Alien Worm Gun also has low DPS, since each "projectile" can attack more than once and its can be made to attack indefinitely due to the way its tentacles remain for a while even when not using energy.

9. zilgaant

Haha, my bad,

so using the Weapon Stats MOD mentioned above, calculate the DPS based on vanilla tiered weapons "with no tier modifier". and the DPS bonus per tier is like 50% the DPS from the tier before? or the base damage?

and experiment if i have unique weapons like alien worm gun?
    is that about it?

Thanks dude,

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, the base damage is 1x. Then each tier adds 0.5x to that. A tier 2 weapon does 1.5x what a tier 1 does. A tier 3 does 2x what a tier 1 does. As for weird weapons, yeah, pretty much just testing it out. Although subtracting a small number of points to put it at the lower end of the sort of damage that is normal for that tier is a good starting point. From there you can see whether you have to improve the special functionality to make use of the weapon worthwhile or you have to reduce the raw damage output of the weapon to stop it from being the only worthwhile weapon in the game.

11. zilgaant

ahhh, thanks draik,
    so if i were to make a ranged weapon tier 1-6, like @Vinderex i need to look at raw damage from ranged weapons on novakids and make similar adjustment. from there i make tier 1, and then for the next tier, just add 0.5x to the raw damage yeah?

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yup. Although, I'm not entirely sure whether the game automatically turns the base DPS (the DPS as it would be for a tier 1 weapon) into the tier-adjusted DPS. Might want to check that. You can also spawn in a few randomly-generated weapons and use those as a reference, or look at the wiki pages for the legendary ranged weapons:
    http://starbounder.org/Tesla's_Wrath
    http://starbounder.org/Cartilage_Gun (has bouncing bullets for increased hits, inflicts poisoned)
    http://starbounder.org/Doomcannon (kinda overpowered, has both a massively damaging status effect and a high DPS if you take into account the changes for multiple bullets to hit a single target (at point blank range, you can get a DPS of 122.5 without taking into account armor or the Doomed status effect))
    http://starbounder.org/Ex_Machina

13. zilgaant

yes, that one i need to check, because when i tweak with the base stats of the weapon and then change the tier, the DPS will automatically balanced by the tier modifier, but, if i were to but ridiculous amount on base damage, the tier modifier will try to balanced with the same equation.

so it's either balance it with tier modifier or just put it on tier 1 and calculate the tier modifier and add it into base damage yeah?

but the idea of tier up is +0.5x damage and stats based on vanillas would be the solution, yes?

14. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yup, you've got it exactly. Of course, you should also choose whether to put the DPS damage into raw damage per hit or raw speed or to balance the two, depending on the sort of strategies you want your weapon to be used for (the ability to one-hit KO some enemies versus the ability to keep damaging enemies even when you needing to dodge means having to miss some shots). Knockback and maximum range also plays a role. Some weapons sacrifice DPS in exchange for higher knockback, which makes them useful for those who prefer to keep their enemies away. High range is very situational, since using it requires something relatively rare in Starbound, and that's a lack of hills between you and your target.

15. zilgaant

Yeah! yeah! situational weapon sound good, i'll try make it but not too much because i know it's too much hassle to always switch when you only have 6/12 slot

do you want to try the weapons i made? just asking.

btw lemme tweak'n'test them a bit to know it's "balanced" or not

PS: it's the very reason i late to update my mod... you'll be trying the unreleased version of it

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  16. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Sure, it'd be interesting to help someone test their mod. Just send me the mod and the spawn codes for the items.

zilgaant likes this.
  17. zilgaant

Sent

sorry if i wrote to much, Dx
    and thank you very much Draik

edit : Daaaaamn i'm so excited