Modding Help Need help unpacking xnb files

Discussion in 'Mods' started by mrsbond, Feb 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mrsbond

mrsbond Void-Bound Voyager

Hello,

I am trying to unpack some map xnb files so I can edit a map. I've tried every tool I can find and none of them seem to unpack the files properly. I just get a tbin and a yaml file for each map, and it sounds like there should be some other files there (pngs ?).

Is there something I'm missing here? I am using Linux but I have access to Windows in a virtualbox. I have tried:
    • xnbcli on Linux and Windows
    • XNB-Convert on linux
    • xnb_node with two different gui's on Windows (Easy XNB and XNB kit)
    All of them do the same thing - tbin and yaml files but nothing else (it would be nice of some of the instructions for using these tools show what should be in the extracted folder). I have tried core maps and some from Ace's Expanded Farms. What am I missing? I really just want to add a pond to an existing map.

TIA!

• jenf

jenf Space Spelunker

First you need to open your tbin editing program (most people use Tiled or tIDE). It should tell you what files you're missing. Usually it's paths.xnb and spring_outdoorsTileSheet.xnb. Go to Content/Maps, find those files, and unpack them too.

Edit: Also you may want to look at this: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Maps It's incredibly useful for beginners.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
      • mrsbond

mrsbond Void-Bound Voyager

Oooooohhhh! I knew I was missing those other tilsheets but I didn't know where they were supposed to come from. Thanks a lot!