Modding Help Need someone to look at custom planet

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by theogre, May 2, 2017.

1. theogre

theogre Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm trying to change the starting planet from a garden to a custom world I created. The new world is a copied version of garden just with a different name and such.

I've edited the celestial.config, terrestrial_worlds.config, universe_server.config, and cockpit.config. I'm assuming that's everything I need to patch, but when I create a new character, the ship never stops moving and thus never gets to orbit the planet (assuming I've done everything correctly and the planet is valid)

I wont put in here my starbound log because it's showing no errors related to my mod or the planet. I've checked everything to make sure the JSON is valid and the patches were created via http://chbrown.github.io/rfc6902/ so it's unlikely that there's any errors there either.

my celestial.config.patch

{
    "op": "add",
    "path": "/terrestrialHorizonGraphics/StarterWorld",
    "value": {
    "baseImages" : "/celestial/system/terrestrial/horizon/textures/garden_<selector>.png",
    "maskTextures" : "/celestial/system/terrestrial/horizon/masks/temperate/<mask>_<selector>.png",
    "maskRange" : [1, 25],
    "maskPerPlanetRange" : [3, 3]
    }
    },
    {
    "path": "/terrestrialGraphics/StarterWorld",
    "baseImages": "/celestial/system/terrestrial/biomes/forest/maskie<num>.png",
    "dynamicsImages": "/celestial/system/terrestrial/dynamics/temperate/<num>.png",
    "dynamicsRange": [
    ]
    }
    },
    {
    "op":"add",
    "path":"/planetaryTypes/Tier2/baseParameters/terrestrialType/-",
    "value":"StarterWorld"
    }

My terrestrial patch

{
    "path": "/planetTypes/StarterWorld",
    "threatRange": [
    ],
    "layers": {
    "surface": {
    "primaryRegion": [
    "StarterWorld"
    ],
    "secondaryRegions": [
    "garden",
    "jungle"
    ],
    "dungeons": []
    },
    "underground1" : {
    "secondaryRegion" : [ "tarunderground", "mushroomunderground", "wildernessunderground", "minivillageunderground" ]
    },
    "underground2" : {
    "secondaryRegion" : [ "tarunderground", "mushroomunderground", "wildernessunderground", "minivillageunderground" ]
    },
    "underground3" : {
    },
    "underground4" : {
    },
    "underground5" : {
    },
    "underground6" : {
    }
    }
    }
    },
    {
    "path": "/regionTypes/StarterWorld",
    "caveLiquid" : [ "water" ],
    "blockSelector" : [ "remixedMildSurface" ],
    "fgCaveSelector" : [ "surfaceCaves" ],
    "bgCaveSelector" : [ "empty" ],
    "biome" : [
    [0, [ "StarterWorld" ]]
    ],
    "subRegion" : [ ]
    }
    }

my universe_server.config.patch

{
    "op": "replace",
    "path": "/findStarterWorldParameters/starterWorld/terrestrialBiome",
    "value": "StarterWorld"
    }

and my cockpit

[
    {
    "path": "/planetTypeToDescription/StarterWorld",
    "value": [
    "Densely colonized by trees and other flora, this ^#15ce02;forest ^white;landing site is a hospitable location that supports a diversity of life - potentially including your own.",
    "Leafy trees abound in this ^#15ce02;forest ^white;location. The area is hospitable to life, my database indicates that you may encounter woodland creatures.",
    "Your beam site for this planet is located in a ^#15ce02;forest^white;. Readings indicate that this wooded area is relatively tranquil."
    ]
    }
    ]

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I'm currently on mobile so can't really look at things well. However before making this type the starter world, did you verify they are generating normally first?

3. theogre

No. My goal is not to have this world spawn throughout the universe but soley as a replacement to the starting world (if possible). I've never had to make a custom planet before so this isn't my area of expertise lol.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

That's a problem. You DO need to generate the planet, or it can't be found. Try finding a needle in a haystack when... Oh we forgot to make the needle.

Starbound will look for a suitable planet that meets the parameters specified, but that planet has to exist at least. Doesn't have to be super common.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You never assign the planet to a star. And given your goal is to not have it generate with the rest, patching the celestial.config is pointless. If the planet doesn't exist in the regular universe generation, how would you even navigate away from it?

I believe the only way to do this kind of thing would be to hijack the beginning much like the vanilla game does for the protectorate instance. You could direct players to a custom dungeon "world" like the Ruin world, but once you leave, you can't really get back. And being an instance, it would reset just like the rest of the dungeons.

6. theogre

Alright, thank you all for the information. In that case I guess ill just go all the way and at it to the whole universe. In what config file should I look for reference? Does everything else ive done look valid?

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You need to add your planet to a star. The rest looks correct except you defines StarterWorld as the primary region, but did you define a biome for that?