New sprites, sprite customization, clothes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hollow, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hollow

Hollow Phantasmal Quasar

http://stardewvalley.net/mini-dev-update-1/

[​IMG]

ConcernedApe says he's drawing 100+ types of shirts. Which seems like an insane amount of customization, to be honest.

My hope is that there aren't 'male/female' sprites (breasts, etc) so he can just design clothing without locking either gender out of some clothing options. Gender could be indicated by hair style and face, rather than whether or not they have a distinctly male/female body to spend extra time on designing animations and armors for. :p

Aer_, darkshaed, MrXIX and 2 others like this.
    • djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

Terraria did something similar.

Also, the new sprites look really great, CA. Wow! I'm really looking forward to this :)

peace

• Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

He said that he was going to be drawing hundreds of shirts.... CAN WE HELP??? If he could give us some sprites (like front, back, sides, etc), then perhaps we could help out.

but.... but.... D:

• Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

wat about dresses and other fancy clothes then

• Javiolanti

Javiolanti Void-Bound Voyager

I think there should still be a distinct look from male/female sprites, for obvious reasons. I'm not saying make the female sprites a pair of breasts on a stick, that'd be ludicrous, but rather at least have the distinction. I mean, if I'm talking to an NPC or see one walking around, I don't want to judge by hair-length to determine if it's a chick or not before interacting with it. If he does end up letting us help with sprite designs, then there'd be even less issue with making a male/female system.

Also, it'd be cool if there was a barber/tailor in case you wanted to change your look at a later point, but that's just a suggestion.

Blackleaf likes this.
            • darethen

darethen Big Damn Hero

[​IMG]NUFF SAID!!!

• MrXIX

MrXIX Void-Bound Voyager

The previous ones kind of seemed out of place in my opinion, maybe it was the body/head size difference... so the upgrade is really cool :)

• Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

I personally find that I dont like the new models. I liked the charm of the older ones. I dunno why, maybe the pseudo mod-FF style sprites are what puts me off :/

• Hollow

Hollow Phantasmal Quasar

It's odd that you would call the newer sprites FF-style sprites, considering that FF1-6 had sprites that looked like the Old version.

Plus, the newer ones will allow for more customization and showing what your character has equipped, so I'm all for it.

• djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

Plus I like the guy's new shoes.

peace

Zellman likes this.
                      • Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

I really like the new version! I prefer it much more over the old version.

• Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

This! The first thing I noticed was his awesome leather boots.

• Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

The new sprites definitely look much better, they've done a great job on improving.

• Mopy

Mopy Cosmic Narwhal

Wow, I like the new sprite much better than the old one, but I wouldn't drive yourself crazy creating so many shirts Ape!

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

Thanks! Also, it's really not that hard to make more shirts... it literally takes less than 30 seconds per shirt, as long as I have an idea for what it should look like. It's fun to have a lot of options :)

Zellman and Mopy like this.
                                • mollygos

mollygos Former Staff

Ahhhh, the new sprite looks awesome. :D Excited.

Finn Learson likes this.
                                  • Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

im hoping hats and dresses are on your list too

if you can could you add sunglasses, so i could be "that person" who walks around with sunglasses on inside and at night

• Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

a LSD? (Light Sensitive Douche its Jargon from some proffesion cant remember which)

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

were i come from lsd has a diffrent meaning

• Lazure

Lazure Void-Bound Voyager

I hope tank tops or even strapless tops will be an option (especially for the female characters), they are what I usually look for when dressing a female character in games.

Swimwear would be cool, though. Maybe a summer-related achievement could unlock them. This is assuming they even have the ability to have a different look between male and female, since it'd be impossible to have one piece of swimwear that both genders wear without it being weird, or without it defeating the purpose of swimwear. Of course, they could just have 2 tops and 2 bottoms for this: a tank-style swim top and swim trunks that males would generally select, and a bikini top and bikini bottoms that females would select. The neat thing with this is, females could select the tank tops and bikini bottoms to simulate a one piece. Males wouldn't get to shirtless though. Not sure how they'd handle that.