New Trailer and Pre-Order for Treasure Adventure World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobitStudios, Sep 11, 2013.

1. RobitStudios

RobitStudios TAW Developer Developer

Hey everyone. The whole team is excited to show you our newest game-play trailer and announce our kickstarter-style Pre-Order campaign. By pre-ordering you can help support development of the game while getting rewards and unlocking stretch-goals. We also re-hauled our website. You can see the trailer and get more info about the pre-order there: http://treasureadventureworld.com/

If anyone has questions and comments about the trailer/pre-order use this thread and I'll try to answer you in a timely manner.

Thank you all for your support.

Evangelion, Active Link and beta_red like this.
    • Philou

Philou Master Chief

Another beautiful adventure to live... I'm in ! =)

beta_red likes this.
      • Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Really awesome, definitely gonna pre-order once I get access to an actual computer (rather than a tablet).

beta_red likes this.
        • Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

I seriously cant wait for this game! Get ALL the loot! And gotta give props to mah gurl Fetalstar on the art style, I cant believe this is your first game, your animation skills already look like your an old pro to me.

beta_red likes this.
          • Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

Watched the trailer, and i don't think the game is the type for me. It doesn't look bad by any stretch, in fact a few of the pieces actually look pretty interesting. I can tell it can and likely will be good for those who are interested in that type.

I do however hope everything isn't hinging on the preorders to come out. Whether or not being published by CF is a good move i'd never really be able to say. I can say it's likely a factor leading to possibly less preorders than you may have gotten. It's a shame that other games/developers will suffer because of CF's poor choices and part of the community's hurt feelings on things. In the end i am curious to see how they make out as a publisher. Call me spiteful (or an asshole) but i hope starbound does well and the developers are rewarded justly, but as a publisher i hope it tanks hard.

I do wish you guys all the best regarding this game. As i said, for those interested in this type of game it can possibly be awesome or at least the trailer leads me to believe so. If it were more my type i might consider buying it on/after release. However, and i can only speak for myself though there may be others like minded, I will not be pre-purchasing anything with the CF tag ever again. Especially seeing that the decisions about how starbound's beta is handled is not an isolated situation (see stardew valley).

• beta_red

beta_red Guest

Hi Lusid,

Thanks so much for your comment, and taking the time to tell us how you feel. I really appreciate your honesty, and I'm sorry to hear about the hurt feelings in relation to Chucklefish. I know it can be really hard to put trust, and especially hard-earned cash into something after feeling like you've had bad experiences with it in the past.

I'm one of the three developers for TAW (I'm doing the music and occasional beeping sounds :) ), and unfortunately, I can't really speak to any mistakes that may have been made in relation to Star Bound or any CF published game other than TAW. This is because, like those games, we're really our own entity. We don't share developers or resources, and we aren't beholden to each other's release methods or business strategies. This is one of the great things about being published under Chucklefish. They allow us all to maintain our independence, keeping our own development teams, schedules, and being personally responsible for how our games are developed and released. The fact that they really don't want to interfere with our process, and how we like to operate, is one of the many things that we love about them.

We know that having a pre-order requires a lot of faith from the gaming community. And faith is hard to muster if you feel like you've gotten burned in the past. I hope that, as a sign of faith on our part, gamers will remember the game upon which TAW is based, Treasure Adventure Game (TAG). For those who may not know much about the original, TAG had a 2-3 year development cycle (that's starting from when Stephen first drew a sketch of a boy and a parrot), and we were both working full-time jobs during the entire development. It was really difficult at times. When we finished, we put it out for free. It still is free, and it always will be. The game was a love letter to all our favorite games growing up, to the kinds of stories we love, and to the community of people making and playing these kinds of games.

It's not easy to spend so much time working on something, and then to just give it away. But, as young developers, we wanted to give people a reason to believe in us. We've dreamed of making this our full-time jobs, and with the help of Chucklefish, we've been given an opportunity to do just that. TAG was our sign of faith in the gaming community, and from many of the wonderful comments I've seen, there are those out there who remember that, and have supported us from day one, and we can't express how much we appreciate that.

Regarding development hinging on pre-orders, I'm happy to assure you that in the case of TAW, development does not hinge on the pre-orders. Robit Studios has a great track record of finishing games, regardless of financial support, but we also have a dream of, someday, being able to develop games full-time, and that's why we're doing the pre-order. It's going to help us pay our bills while we finish the game, so we don't have to go out looking for additional work.

I hope this addresses some of your concerns, and I hope you know how much we truly appreciate you taking the time to tell them to us, especially considering TAW isn't really your type of game. It's not an easy thing to say, and you took the time to say it clearly, honestly, and respectfully, and that means a lot to us. We always appreciate respectful feedback from gamers because we're gamers too.

Thanks for your time!

--Robert Ellis

• Lusid

It's awesome that you took the time to answer, at length, my small comment. The line about not sharing resources brings an interesting point. If i may ask, if CF has almost nothing to do with the development or funding process, what exactly does being published by CF do? It's possible i'm misunderstanding.

I also did not know about how TAG was developed and handed out for free. That garners a lot of respect from me, and likely others. In fact depending on the answer to this, i may be preordering a copy or two and giving them away. It means a lot to me for developers to use their skill and hand the copies out.

• RobitStudios

Lusid,

Being involved with Chuckefish benefits us in a number of ways. They have a huge fan-base - Many of whom have been incredibly supportive of TAW (or like yourself, have gotten in touch with their honest, well-thought critiques and comments, which are helpful and appreciated). Being attached to them gives us credibility with the media (this weekend we got on PC Gamer, Polygon, RPS, Eurogamer and more). We have access to a team of smart and creative people to bounce ideas off, help with testing, get advice on promotions and edit our trailers.

Chucklefish is a young company - things are just starting out - but, the future looks bright. I love their vision of making awesome games like Starbound, and supporting other amazing games like Risk of Rain, Wanderlust etc - I want to be a part of that, and see where we can go with it.

• Lusid

I appreciate you guys being super polite with me and all. And if it's none of my business then please say so. But if CF wants to use the title "Publisher", that has certain implications. Namely that they help fund you guys, and in turn they get a portion of the money made from the game. Is this not the case?

• RobitStudios

That's not the case. The deal we made with Chucklefish was agreed upon on by both parties and as part of that agreement Chucklefish is considered the "Publisher" and Robit Studios, the "Developer". It's as simple as that. I explained the benefits we get from the situation.

• Lusid

Gotcha. See this is something some people should know. One of the moderators in the forums even said that they asked around other media outlets and found that they've heard more than they thought they would that people don't want to preorder because they don't want money going to Tiy. Whatever arrangement you have with them is obviously between you guys, and obviously however you'd both benefit from it is what it is. But when the word Publisher is used, that is what comes into peoples minds, because that's what a publisher is.

Thanks for answering my questions though. It clears up a lot.

• Isi_x

Isi_x Big Damn Hero

On the Robit Studios Bandcamp page where the TAG soundtrack is available, it says the full album includes some extra stuff like sketches and an interactive map. I was wondering if the TAG soundtrack obtained through a tier 2 pre-order of TAW would include those things as well.

• RobitStudios

Yes, it does! - I should probably mention that on the pre-order page.

• RobitStudios

Just wanted to let you all know - if you already pre-ordered Tier-2 or higher you can now get access to a private blog where we are posting streaming versions of music from the game. You can get the link and password from your Humble Bundle account.

beta_red likes this.
                              • Klaimen

Klaimen Orbital Explorer

I'm wishing you good luck with the Pre-Ordering, TAW Devs! It feels good support this project! And especially in this case, because I know the TAG already, and can see the benefits of the HD upgrade you're putting in. I'm really looking forward to the Demo to see how the new game plays and feels - and I see myself already craving for more after finishing the demo. I guess the upcoming blog updates will shortens the waiting time until the final release! <3

beta_red and fetalstar like this.