1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed Nightly Build

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by denafox, Mar 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denafox

denafox Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey! Why you delete directx version on nightly build!!!!!! My pc dont run starbound on opengl version!!! RETURN DIRECTX

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Moved to Nightly build forum.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Ever considered trying to figure out why the OpenGL version doesn't work for you?

Having only OpenGL means they no longer need to support 2 versions. Linux and Mac can only use OpenGL as DirectX is Microsoft proprietary, and there may have been some licensing costs for DirectX they wanted to cut out.

Blue_Narye likes this.
  4. denafox

Because i have intel 945g chipset. This card does support opengl 2.0. So i can play Starbound with directx version.

5. lazarus78

Then you need to look into upgrading. It is unreasonable to expect developers to support such old hardware.

6. denafox

No. Developers can return directx version. So, i ask for directx version for nighlty build. And why they removed directx version

7. lazarus78

Don't count on it. As I said, they likely wanted to focus on one version rather than support two, which makes perfect sense. Having two versions means they need to bug test both and deal with performance issues on both, now they can put that saved time towards one version. Plus, considering the DirectX version wan generally worse in performance, it didn't make sense to keep it around when OpenGL is nearly universally supported. Your chipset is over 10 years old, which is prehistoric by computer standard, so you can't really hold it against them. Plus, it would probably benefit you in other areas than just here to upgrade your computer to something more modern.

8. denafox

I do not care. The game works , so they need to return , as it was. And they themselves said that the game will run on such old computers , and all will be well . So they have to return the version DirectX .

9. lazarus78

No, they don't. If it conflicts with what they are doing. The game is still in development so compatibility can and will change.

And I'd love to see where they said it will run on 10 year old hardware.

10. denafox

Блять, не беси меня. Ohh.. Okay-okay. Mister i know everything. Give me some money, and i buy new computer. But now i ask about where directx version

11. Alaine

Alaine Guest

heh, another russian ass with crappy pc

12. denafox

Help, please

13. and234

and234 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is no help for People like you! I know that many of you Russians can't afford the latest stuff of Hardware but, please, get over it.
    I know becouse my cousin is living over there in Ни́жний Но́вгород

14. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would kindly request you three to shut up. :/

The game runs on SDL2. SDL2 supports DirectX as well, if not better, than it does OpenGL. The only reason why the game only runs in OpenGL now, is because it's quicker for developers on the nightly to only work with one version. If the game does not run in DirectX mode come next Stable update, I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of angry-worded feedback - a lot of hardware that Starbound runs well on, runs it much better in DirectX than in OpenGL - that includes all integrated GPU chipsets that share power with the CPU.

So, to the OP - I'd say there won't be DirectX support for the nightly because it allows to work on updates faster. There's no reason why the game won't support DirectX and OpenGL both on actual release though, so you'll have to wait and see how that develops.

Boshed likes this.
  15. lazarus78

Um... no.

Yes, lets keep supporting people with ancient hardware. Cus that doesn't hold things back at all. Cater to the lowest common denominator. If they are only cutting it temporarily, why did they wait so long to do it? Why wait till they were nearing the final release to cut it out if they planned on returning it before the end? It was available for years before hand.

It doesn't matter if SDL2 can run directX, the guy has a 10+ year old graphics chip.He would have a bad experience all around regardless.

Blue_Narye and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  16. Sean Mirrsen

The game is designed to scale to different machines. Literally. At 3x visual scale, you can play fullscreen on 1980x1080 with an effective resolution of 660x360, which is low enough that even integrated graphics can run the game comfortably. If he has an Intel 945g he probably doesn't use a 1080p monitor, and if his CPU is up to par (mine is an 1.7GHz HT dualcore doubling as an Intel HD GPU - yes, running at 1080p at 3x scale) the game can and will run quite well. Demonstrably, even - because the guy's been playing it before, and obviously didn't consider his experience a "bad" one.

And just for the record... the game originated in OpenGL. DirectX support was specifically added afterwards. And with the game announced to be eventually coming to XBOX, I do believe any talk of DirectX support being dropped is at best misguided. ;)

17. lazarus78

You are basing that entirely on the visual aspect and ignoring the parts you don't see. The game has become more demanding over the years which zero change in graphics.

Solzucht likes this.
  18. Sean Mirrsen

I've been playing both the latest Stable (which had DX support), and the current Nightly, on the same machine. The current Nightly has better performance than the latest Stable, and that's in OpenGL mode which was always the slowest for me.

19. lazarus78

Soo... OpenGL is performing better. Which is what I said before. Plus they have done some optimization passes, initially with both the DX and OpenGL versions, but then they dropped the DX version.

What is your point?

20. Sean Mirrsen

The Stable version is performing worse in OpenGL than in DX on my machine. I'm getting better performance in OpenGL now than I got in DirectX then. That is my point. By extrapolation, an optimization pass for the DirectX version will have even better performance for my GPU.

And like I said, DX was not dropped. It was added, specifically for systems that do not support OpenGL (i.e. all XBox systems, or exceptionally old computers). The game began development in OpenGL. It makes sense that OpenGL will receive the optimization pass first. It makes no sense to keep updating the DirectX renderer during the Nightly because the devs don't need it to work, and it can be done when every other part of the update is already done. And since whichever part of the OpenGL optimization probably broke the DirectX renderer (it tends to work that way), the DX build was removed to prevent people from posting pointless bugreports and to reduce build times.

That, and, y'know, no mention of "hey we're removing DirectX support in the next update". Point clear enough yet? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.