Modding Help Non-binary farmer? is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by 414a4c, Mar 16, 2016.

1. RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

If you're a girl Elliott orders you a wine, if you're a boy he orders you an ale. What does he order for a non-binary farmer?

• 414a4c

414a4c Space Spelunker

hey! thank you so much for this! I started up a new game to test it out
      [​IMG]
      heres what the character creation menu looks like. (ignore the fact I spelled my own name wrong... lol) even though theres no icons for male and female, I can still click those blank spaces to change between the "male and female" bodies. I think there should be some icons there still, that say something like "body type 1 and 2" which I can easily make I just need the original cursors.xnb because I never backed up mine... whoops
      [​IMG]
      grandpa calls you grandchild! yay!

as for other villagers, I couldnt remember who used gendered language in the beginning... except for alex. I talked to him, he still calls you "new guy/girl". I cant test marriage stuff because in my other game im not married yet...

HOWEVER theres a huge bug in this: I cant click the bulletin board or enter any buildings, including your own house, so yeah. I just right click them and nothing happens? right clicking on people to talk and rummaging through trash still works.

• ThatNorthernMonkey

ThatNorthernMonkey Aquatic Astronaut

Welp, this is definitely WIP :) let me give it a look.

Edit: Can confirm, this is a bug with the re-compiled version and not just the gender neutral one. Hmmm.

Hmmm so it's getting the GameLocations incorrect, i.e., when you're in the farm it thinks your in the tent.. when you're in town it thinks you're in the seedshop.. not sure tbh.

Here's the fix :)

The hard-coded dialogue is a tiny fraction of the dialogue required to make this possible. This is why I included all of the events, quests, dialogue, mail etc .yaml files in with the modified executable :) Its a mundane, simple task that you's who want to make this mod a thing have the ability to sort out between you :) I've sorted out the more technical side of it for you :p

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
          CedarGlade, Alkanthe and 414a4c like this.
        • 414a4c

414a4c Space Spelunker

Thanks! going into buildings works now haha

• Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

If you haven't already changed it, how about Cowhand and Farmhand?

• thatz

thatz Void-Bound Voyager

I am so glad to see that there is actually some work being done rather than just people insulting folks for wanting a nonbinary character! It's not bizarre at all to refer to someone using 'they.'

• daikiraikimi

daikiraikimi Astral Cartographer

So glad to see progress being made here! If someone can get me the image files for the male/female buttons, I can do spritework to change them to body 1/2 vs tall/short or something similar. I just need the original image files so I can make them the same size and whatnot.

RoastedCoconutz and Alkanthe like this.
                • confusedpotato

confusedpotato Void-Bound Voyager

How can you mod something into a game if said thing you want to add doesn't exist?

• (User was warned for this post. Reason: Ignoring moderator instructions.)
                • keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

ThatNorthernMonkey, nice job on recompiling Stardew Valley. Maybe you could share your findings with people who makes translations so that they could translate hardcoded things? That will really help them.

But adding things that don't necessary exist is the whole point of gaming industry. Things like ghosts, super powers.

• ThatNorthernMonkey

ThatNorthernMonkey Aquatic Astronaut

Sure thing, i mean this was done by a bunch of people who held my hand so taking no credit here :p but I can provide the full source that compiles in VS to the translators if they want to translate the hard-coded things - show me where :)

• endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It is amazing how this mod is coming along. Watching it come to life is exciting!! :giggle:

• VGN.CWRD

VGN.CWRD Poptop Tamer

It would be helpful to make all hairstyles/apparel options accessible to gender neutral characters! :)

Alkanthe likes this.
                        • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

They already should be, since they aren't gender restricted to male or female- at least, not that I've seen.. The only thing I can think of is that the chest region would depend on the body type chosen.

CedarGlade, Alkanthe and VGN.CWRD like this.
                          • 414a4c

414a4c Space Spelunker

I think the only restricted clothing is the bathing suits?
                            which makes me think, something neutral like a wetsuit would be nice. even if it doesnt make sense in a bathhouse lol

Alkanthe likes this.
                            • SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

I think this would do the job just fine.
                              [​IMG]

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I imagine you'd only need to go that far if you're taking the bathysphere to Rapture. Shirt and boardshorts should be fine.

spiritslive99 and Alkanthe like this.
                                • cuttle

cuttle Tentacle Wrangler

Can I just wear this all the time? Casual Friday?

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

My only problem with that suit for it being cool is... What the heck is with the hands? You're gonna go underwater with your bloody hands out, and the sleeves open? What even.

But yeah shorts and a shirt/tank top might be best.

Jonesy, cuttle and Alkanthe like this.
                                    • AngryCat

AngryCat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been digging around in the dialogue and changing some lines to remove "guy"/"girl" and some of the gendered responses/comments/etc. for my own purposes; I could donate the files as I finish them if desired?

Still a big WIP, but this is my start to Alex's dialogue, for example:

upload_2016-4-10_5-19-15.png

cuttle likes this.
                                      • Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

"Hey, it's farmer." seems a bit strange. What about "Hey, it's you." or "Hey, it's them." (depending on who they're initially talking to)?