1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakid Pancake

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MirageTheShadow, Nov 16, 2021.

1. MirageTheShadow

MirageTheShadow Orbital Explorer

Let me explain. Novakids are described as "gasbags", and I was wondering if they can style their "hair". Because I really wanted that to be true. So I thought, if you could style their hair, you could theoretically flatten them out and turn them into a Novakid Pancake. But then they wouldn't be able to hold any kind of weight. I came up with the solution: gas pressure. There is more gas pressure around their main form and less in their "hair" so it can be styled.

I guess the closest thing would be octopuses. They do a similar thing to squish in small spaces, just with water pressure.

(Why does my brain do this???)

Jellybean168 likes this.
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Well that gave me a chuckle. I've read around a few times that people seem to think there is some kind of membrane or similar surrounding the novakid's body, thus keeping the gas in. So I guess that could hold the weight of whatever you put on the pancake.

3. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

given the novakid scan line for the ancient light platform it seems like canonically Novakid are solid energy beings, rather than membranes holding in gases.

Ofc it's possible that they just have hardlight membranes, so perhaps they can still style their hair as you say here

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Well, I've never played novakid. Actually I did play once for about 20 minutes so not long enough to see that. I don't really ascribe to the membrane theory, was just mentioning it as a possible thing. But I guess solid energy makes more sense.