Race Novakids, why no glow?

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Ward, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Ward

Ward Void-Bound Voyager

Playing the Nightly build I happened to notice at night and underground, that the Novakid race disappears into shadow. Which... struck me as extremely odd for a race made up of glowing gas! I'm not saying give them enough to even see by, but wouldn't it be possible to give them a glow effect so that they themselves stay lit up, if not the terrain around them? Shadow covered bags of supposedly glowing gas just seem... odd.

2. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's no glow because that would make them unique. Chucklefish doesn't want the races to be unique. So they don't glow for the same reason you wont glow if you wear a Novakid mask. All the races are just "masks". Pretend Starbound is a big Halloween party. With murder.

3. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

This. Chucklefish is doing what they can to make sure all the raises are the same. Just like how instead of crafting swords, you get to craft guns as a novakid.

4. RarityIsBoss

RarityIsBoss Void-Bound Voyager

ehh? whats wrong with diversity? Is this a communist game?

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Based on my understanding, comrade, it's to avoid any one race from being overpowered, or resulting in the majority of people picking one single race over the other just because of their gameplay bonus. Having racial bonuses tied to armor means that you can enjoy the racial stuff you do get (like the ship and plot), but then get the armor of another race if you prefer that particular bonus.

Darklight and STCW262 like this.
  6. RarityIsBoss

RarityIsBoss Void-Bound Voyager

Gotchya, but glowing isn't really OP, but whatever. It's not like im a game dev or anything like that. :p

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

That's the thing. If another race was OP, would fewer people play as Novakid?

8. guisampaio2008

guisampaio2008 Void-Bound Voyager

It would be nice if it had Each race a bonus , that would create several possibilities and experiences that would change completely the gameplay , and increase the chance to replay, for example, there is already a race that should logically breathe under the water, one that should shine one that I would not eat and one that could not fly at least jump higher and planar ...[DOUBLEPOST=1433311756][/DOUBLEPOST]no teria hum Race Bonus Very powerful , For Example novakids NOT need to shine much , not much Maximum As the lamp on a stick

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  9. Borvis

Borvis Subatomic Cosmonaut

I thought they had plans to make it so each racial armour gave the individual wearing it the racial bonuses (like underwater breathing when wearing a hylotl set).

10. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

1) Who cares if more people choose one race than another?

2) There already ARE basically different tiers of race popularity, so it wouldn't change anything.

3) No race will ever be OP in multiplayer since almost every server is either furry roleplay, serious roleplay, or deserted. Most PvP servers follow
    the time-honored Minecraft tradition of everyone running off and hiding from PvP scenarios anyway. Starbound isn't exactly a competitive game.

4) It doesn't matter if a race is OP in singleplayer; if people want a serious game of Starbound, let them have it. Alternatively, if they want to
    start up a game with a totally OP character and go on a short monster-stomping spree, why not give them the option to do that, too? Ridiculous
    power gets boring fast, true, but it can still be fun in short bursts.

11. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

1. Chucklefish does, as well as some players.

2. It would make people choose their character's race by abilities instead of what they want to be.

3. I disagree, I've been to smaller servers that actually do dueling, as well as servers where people do the storyline together.

4. Not sure how to answer this one other than that Chucklefish made this decision, and if you don't like it then there's mods.