NPC NPC families!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Niclau, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Niclau

Niclau Void-Bound Voyager

NPC Families! - Suggestion.
    Apex familie.png
    - Just an example of what a NPC family would look like.

Here the other day, i came up with something that would be really cool. What if your character could start a family, with an NPC of the same race? (All fable like and shit). The player could choose which planet his family would live on, and which house they would live in. If the player should choose to have kids, the baby would start as a ... well, a baby. Then through out the hours the player puts into the game, the baby would grow older, and eventually become companions for the player (a good old father son adventure, yes?).

After some feedback from user "Henry Wotton" (Thanks dude), i'm adding some additional ideas for the NPC families.

First of all, i'm thinking that in order to start a family, you will need to find a proper home for the family (The player will need to build a home with certain criteria, and the home needs to be build on a (as an example) -50 threat level planet. Like terraria NPCs, you will need to assign rooms for your family (a room for each of the kids, and one for your wife - No, the kitchen doesn't count!).

You can assign your family to take care of things while you are gone. If you have a home garden, you can ask your kids to harvest for you. If you have a mine, you can ask your wife to do some mining for you ext.

Your family will have an opinion about you, so you need to be sure to visit them once in awhile. Perhaps bring them a present: A new toy for your son, a special moon stone for your daughter and a rare jewel found in an ancient and forgotten Avian tomb.
    If you make sure your family loves you, you will receive gifts from them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  2. xalar

xalar Big Damn Hero

or to build your family by falling in love with npc and swoop them off to an adventure through the cosmos.

O suggestion bot, suggestion bot, where for art thou suggestion bot?

onerb2 likes this.
  3. Niclau

Yeah, taking them for an epic trip in your spaceship. That would be pretty damn cool.

4. Henry Wotton

Henry Wotton Starship Captain

This is a nice idea, i think you should work on some details to make it more appealing. Will the family just follow the character and stay in the house when asked? There will be any optional stuff that can be done, like harvesting, shops or whatever that can be done by them? Will the character earn any bonuses by spending time with the family? Will there be dedicated sub quests?
    You opened a whole world of opportunities! :iswydt:

Niclau and onerb2 like this.
  5. Niclau

Haha, i'm glad you like my idea! I'l add some details soon, and take inspiration from your comment! :rainbow:

6. Niclau

Just edited the page. Thanks for the feedback ;)

7. Henry Wotton

Henry Wotton Starship Captain

I'm glad i could help, keep it up, i like it more and more.
    By the way...
    :rofl:
    Aww you can't have her work in a mine, she'll be too tired to..."watch TV" when you come back home.:whistle:

Niclau likes this.
  8. Niclau

Haha! Yeah, you'll have to take that into consideration i guess ;D

9. Dictionary

Dictionary Void-Bound Voyager

I love this idea. Reminds me of the Sims to be honest BUT it's a lot more fun than that. It would also be neat if you build houses for other npc families so your family won't be all alone. Plus I'm interested in seeing the npc's talk with each other.
    NPC 1: How's the weather
    NPC 2: Great
    NPC 1:How's this forum
    NPC 3: AWESOME!!
    NPC 8: Where are we going?
    NPC's: We don't know BUT, WE'RE ALL Starbound!

Niclau likes this.
  10. Niclau

Indeed, I've been starbound for the past 6-7 months now ;D

11. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

This would have won my upvote even if I hadn't already wanted this in.
    Anyhoo, yeah. Would enhance Starbound's Roleplayability that much more. +1.

Niclau likes this.
  12. Niclau

I'm glad you think so :badpokerface:

13. Good idea, I don't see why it has to be of the same race, but good idea.

14. Niclau

I found the idea of an Apex and a Floran having a baby, just a bit weird. Their genes are widely different :geek:

wolfboyft likes this.
  15. Plant-lets of the Apes!

16. jackdc071

jackdc071 Orbital Explorer

I think this would be a very nice idea, but why just limit it to the player? Instead of having all the npc homes just have one person in them, they can sometimes have a spouse, or even a full family! And if you defend one of them, they will thank you and even give you gifts! That would be a great extension of this idea, so again, great idea. :)

17. BL00DIEDHELL

BL00DIEDHELL Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps make it so it's possible to marry any NPC regardless of gender/race, but only a different sex couple of the same race are able to reproduce? Bit more freedom for spouse choosing that way, without any weird hybrids.

18. Niclau

That's true, i guess that would work just fine! :badpokerface:

19. Adam05PL

Adam05PL Pangalactic Porcupine

+1 support.

Niclau likes this.
  20. Niclau

Thanks! :iswydt:

Adam05PL likes this.