Ocean now is the best fishing spot for the Spring?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WilliamZ, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Arqane

Arqane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do usually reset for lots of onions (15+, unless I get other energy sources in trash cans). And the chopping is part of a bigger strategy, since I want the foraging xp anyway. Plus, there's really not a whole lot more useful to use energy on for day 1. Overplanting isn't a good idea then, even if you had tons of mixed seeds and bought max parsnips. You could go the mining route, but there's a lot less benefit early on with that. And as long as you hit your main milestones, there's not much advantage to having extra gold before day 4. The tide pool forage is usually enough to get me to the milestones (and it's a little faster than those ocean fish usually), and it also nets some foraging xp. Foraging 3 early is nice to start those tappers, either for speed-gro or early bee hives (not a huge return on cash early, but almost completely passive income).

• Arqane

Arqane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just an update on the Linus tactic. I got his friendship to 4 hearts on the 18th... that's including 1 Wanted quest and 2 Coconut gifts (got lucky with 5 coconuts at the traveling cart for 400 each around the 2nd week). I had already caught Legend on day 12 and had another rainy day on the 16th, so it's only a partially useful way to rush. If you get unlucky and only get your rainy days in the 20s, it would at least be quite useful in making up for lost time.

• ThorfinnS

ThorfinnS Orbital Explorer

Holy cow! How do you do that without a fantastic day 1 to kickstart you to 1500g or so? I can't consistently get much more than 1,000g. If I'm lucky, I can get 350 more for Gunther and gifting (I try to hold back a single daffodil, just in case it's possible). Sure, I've been able to get the XP by noon, but NEVER the cash.

---EDIT---
        I take that back. From time to time I've had the cash from a couple lucky artifacts or geodes. But that slacker blacksmith makes it tough, timing-wise. Unless maybe the in-town fishing spot is somewhere close?

I'll stop if I see bubbles, but barring that, I've had poor luck in town, even catching every nibble. Where are you fishing? I've done several tries in the old reliable south of Jodi's and got close to enough (but not enough) money only once, fishing right up to 5pm, often with no missed catches.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
        • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

You basically throw everything you find on day 1 into the selling bin. And you don't buy anything at all. You're not planting or buying on day 1, everything you do today is gearing towards day 2 fishing tomorrow. Whether it's sap, stone, clay, geodes, coal, fiber, forage, the free parsnips seeds from Lewis, all of it gets sold on day 1. The only things not sold are wood (for chests, much cheaper than a backpack), spring onions (worth so little it's better to eat them and break more rocks) and an artifact if you find one (donate to Gunther as long as it's worth less than the 250g reward).

Parsnip seeds are 150g, you can easily get over 200 fiber, which is another 200+g, 13 treetops for your chests gets 65 sap, which is 130g, between 75 and 100 stones is 150-200g. That's 630-700g and you haven't even got started on foraged items. On top of that, 500g is often a lowball for forage, and there's often another 250g for an artifact, and suddenly you're looking at shipping somewhere around 1400g or more. And each geode you liberate while breaking stones on the farm is another 50g, and every piece of coal is 15g; it adds up quite quickly. Added to the initial 500g, that's already enough for the rod and a few bait, and you haven't yet caught any fish. And that's not from a fantastic day 1, just an about average day 1. Assuming everything else is normal, the only things that are really making or breaking it are getting enough spring onions, and the artifact, because that's not guaranteed. If you're lucky enough to get two artifacts, donate the cheap one and sell the more valuable one, you don't get a double benefit for donating twice. The rest of the money is basically always there, which covers the rod, but after that, every 5g is another piece of bait.

And there's absolutely no need to hold on to a daffodil, because who the hell are you planning on gifting in the first few days? Sell it, it's 30g, it's another 6 bait

The river is for the afternoon and evening on day 2, after the fiberglass rod is bought. The morning of day 2 is right outside the fish shop. And once we've left the beach, we're only fishing for XP, to level up as quickly as possible and make catfish easier on day 3. Once the rod is bought, the money from day 2 fishing is largely irrelevant. But smallmouth bass and bream in the river should be almost all perfect catches for the 2.4x bonus on XP, you're unlikely to get that from the lake, because chub are very tricky to get perfect at lower fishing skill

• ThorfinnS

Hmmm. Eat up all the onions and sell the stones and hopefully geodes and coal. Rather than saving the energy for the mine run. Wondered about that from time to time but never tried it. Each onion was only going to get me 6.5 stones, and I usually get around 8 or so onions, which is only an additional 50 stones or so. Plus some possible bonus drops. Foregoing planting ANYTHING would free up 80 energy, so another 40 stones plus bonus drops. Plus the parsnip seeds. Yeah, I guess you could be pretty close. The 3-day planting delay doesn't mess up things; you'll still get in just a 4-day and a 5-day crop before strawberry festival. Though the day 1 parsnips plus the half-dozen or so parsnips from mixed seeds got in a full 3 plantings before being replaced by strawberries. Hmmm.

Several variations to try there.

In broad strokes you are right. I should be doing whatever it takes to make the 2000g available at the same moment I hit L2. And it's probably doable. Looks as if the expected value of every forageable (except maybe horseradish) is greater than the gold value, even if you only get stones. Which I had not realized, and was just selling them for cash.

---

So where exactly in the river do you fish, barring bubbles in sight?

---EDIT---

Boy, I can't duplicate that. Certainly not as a rule. Maybe as an exception.

Out of five runs, I've only had one where I might have had a noon fiberglass. I've never had more than 1107 in the bin, and that's eating everything but the horseradish. One I thought was promising: 11 onions, two of them silver, one gold, plus two silver dandelions and a normal leek. Unfortunately, no geodes, only 2 coal. 202 stone, 289 fiber, yadda, yadda, 1107g total. That WAS the one with the Gunther bonus, and if I can catch Marnie walking through to exercise, and finish introductions, I can give someone a piece of trash for the 100g, and have fiberglass by noon. Still have to fish off the pier for bait. Granted, getting a geode in those hundred or so rocks I broke would have made a difference, but self evidently, one can't count on that.

On average, selling my parsnip seeds looks to gain me no more than an hour, though. Not really surprising. That's about a sardine every 12 minutes, which is about what the game gives. Probably not worth selling them, unless you have a really poor start. Plant them, or save them for day 4 planting.

• One More Day

I don't think it's worth wasting time on day 1 meeting everyone, the 100g reward isn't worth all the hours it takes. The likes of Elliott and Sebastian are particularly awkward because they're in far corners of the map and spend almost the whole day behind a locked door, and by the time they're available, I want to be back on the farm clearing weeds and stones.

Also, I don't eat the forage, except onions; it reads like you're eating it, but I think you're likely to make more money selling them than using them for energy. The most efficient forage food you'll find on day 1 is the leek, and even that is only 40E for 60g; that 40E is 20 swings of your pickaxe, which will earn 40g worth of stones, plus a tiny chance of coal and geode drops. If it's a maximum luck day then it might be worth it to eat a gold leek and use it just to break stones, but otherwise, the more consistent route is simply to sell it. I definitely don't eat dandelions, they're far too valuable. If you got 202 stone then that's probably too many, unless you got like 30 onions or something. If you are lucky enough to get several full sets of forage, then it's worth it to save them until the morning, craft sets of seeds, and then run up to sell to Pierre as soon as you get Fishing 2, because it's faster money for the bait than just fishing in the ocean.

If day 1 only spawns a few onions, or not at all, I don't bother continuing, because I've literally only lost about three minutes by the time I get down there. I just ditch that farm and start a new one.

The energy for mining will come from all the fishing. And most of the energy for fishing will come from eating green algae, chubs and smallmouth. You're also going to eat chubs and smallmouth in the mine, you'll end up with a stack of iridium and gold ones by the end of day 4, and for cash, you'll also have catfish, bream, largemouth, bullhead and carp worth thousands, plus probably a few gems and other stuff from treasure chests. Don't forget, once you're in the mine, you'll also likely acquire a few cave carrots, which will help too.

No, that's 150g, that's 30 bait basically for free, and that means it saves wasting a chunk of time at the ocean on day 2. Sell them. You can always buy more on day 4, when you buy the backpack, because you will have fish worth thousands, but on day 1 it's all about finding stuff that can be turned into cash. There is no point saving them, they aren't doing any work for you sitting in a chest. Day 2 is all about getting away from the fish shop as soon as possible, to get to a better location where you can rack up XP from perfect catches.

I stand directly south of Jodi's door, but only after I get the fiberglass rod, and I put a chest right next to me to store stuff from treasure chests. Before I get the rod, I stay right outside Willy's and use the new Training Rod until I reach Fishing 2, and dash in to sell when inventory gets full.

there's something wrong here

2 coal - 30g
              202 stone - 404g
              289 fiber - 289 g
              Gunther - 250g
              15 parsnips - 150g
              65 sap - 130g

that's 1253g without forage, how did you only ship 1107g?

• ThorfinnS

Yeah, I misunderstood about the dandelions. Just as well. After dark I can't see jack, and my mis-clicks get even worse so I can't really do anything well other than swing a scythe. (How's that make the neighbors feel? The new farmer walking around in the middle of the night slashing more less at random with a big, nasty, sharp, pointed implement.)

I'm only getting 5 sap out of a tree crown, times 4 trees per chest, so only 40, maybe 45 sap in the bin. I've been leaving the stumps, focusing on the wood. Maybe stumps are a better source of sap? Have to try it. But like I said, that's what was in the bin. I'd pick up the Gunther reward in the morning, had I not already deleted that run. Instead of doing three-day runs, I've switched over to one-day runs for the nonce. The only run I have left on my machine has a chest containing tools, a chest, 5 wood, cookies, a soggy newspaper and broken glasses. Not much more to sell.

• One More Day

No, day 1 is only the tops of trees. The stumps are very wasteful of energy, only 5 wood and 1 sap. I usually chop 13 tree tops for enough wood for 3 chests, which is how I get 65 sap

I'd also sell the cookies, unless you have a mountain of forage, even though it's fairly efficient food, because more bait means more fish caught, and you won't need food until you have already caught lots of fish. Probably the only food worth keeping if you find it in a trash can is anything with a fishing buff

• ThorfinnS

Thanks! That might do the trick. Five different Monday runs, all ending up with over 1500g (1000g in the bin), though none with artifacts. I even reloaded each while running Foxyfficiency just to see what I'd missed, and the answer is nothing other than a few stones and one dandelion I somehow walked right past. Might have even had to walk around it. Gonna have to start paying more attention. Once I got an omni geode in the trash that I did not remember until too late has no value. Didn't realize it would be physically painful to sell bread, though.

Two runs will be no problem for a noon fiberglass plus bait. The rest will be close unless there's some forageables or an artifact or two on the way.

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel like I can meet everyone (except Willy, obviously) and also use up my energy bar + onions in the same day, but admittedly I don't think I've tested it. How much of the map do you usually walk around for forage? Will test and get back to you with the results.
                      You normally get 13 tree tops, 200+ fiber, and 75-100 stone, right? Is that stones gotten or stones hit? I guess it doesn't really matter as you basically just want to use the rest of your energy bar + onions on stone.

• One More Day

I cover the whole map apart from the tidal pools, and I do it by splitting the world into two loops. After chopping my first chest and dropping off unnecessary items like watering can and axeI leave by the north exit and forage the backwoods and mountain area, so I've already missed everyone at the Carpenter's as they aren't up yet, and I'm not coming back. Anyway, I then drop down into the northern half of town and do the area around the CC, including grabbing fiber from the weeds to the left of it, then I forage the bus stop and dump everything I found back at the farm chest, completing my first loop.

I then leave the farm again by the south exit, and head the long way round the edge of Cindersap, going past the space where the cart stops, past the Wizard's house, check the southern edge of the lake, then down past the Hat Shop, across the bridge onto the arrowhead island, then towards the spring onions and back across the bridge near Leah's house. I check the big open area outside Marnie's, before heading into town and checking the southern half, including the bins, and I finish off by checking the beach. This means I can cover the entire map before going near the museum, which means I don't need to go there twice if I find an artifact to donate. After that, second loop done as I head back to the farm for the rest of the day. Having not spoken to a soul.

Stones hit and stones got is basically the same, getting more than one is pretty rare at Mining 0. Yes, you're about right on those numbers, but that means I reset if I don't get at least a dozen onions as a bare minimum, otherwise it simply doesn't work. It gets Mining 1 out of the way, so that I can start with access to cherry bombs

• ThorfinnS

That's working out quite well. Thanks. Still trying to get out of the habit of talking to everyone I haven't met yet.

Finally got around to reading the wiki on fishing, and if I'm reading it right, placing fish in the bin Wednesday night should get me the Fisher bonus. (Got both L5 and L6 Wednesday.) And yet the game is giving the base price. Thought that was the case a years ago back when I first got the game, and since then I've always just passed out with the rod in my hand and the best of whatever I could carry and taken the haul to Willie in the morning. All I can think of that I might be doing wrong is I haven't made it to bed in time after filling the bin. Once I was a few pixels from getting to click on go to sleep, another I didn't quite make it to the porch, a few others I was using up the dregs of my energy getting stones. Do I actually have to sleep in bed in order to get credit for the increase in profession?

Whatever I toss in the bin on Thursday gets the bonus, whether I make it to bed or not, so it must just be something I'm not doing properly on the day I get the level. I don't use much in the way of mods that should make a difference. The non-cheaty parts of UI Info Suite, Experience Bars, Mod Update Menu, Numerical Health, Darker Wet Soil, and on my laptop, Zoom Level Keybind so I can see more or less the same amount of the map as I do on my desktop. But I've tried running just Numerical Health and Experience Bars, same result.

Kind of at a loss. Thinking of going back to selling in person on Thursday morning rather than take the 25% hit. This last run the bonus would be more than the price of the backpack.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
                          • Elenna101

Okay, I've realized that you get a lot more fiber than my D1 starts.

I had to redo my route to get to the museum later (smart idea), which did add a second trip to the mountains. Other than that it was basically the same as what you outlined above - create a chest, loop up through backwoods/mountains/upper town/bus stop (I talked to Linus here), back to farm. Then loop through the forest (I did your forest route basically backwards in order to pass Jas at the cart area), talk to Marnie and Haley in the forest, then I stayed in town basically from 2 pm to 6 pm to talk to most people and forage the beach. Then run up to the mountain, talk to Demetrius/Seb and get back to the farm around 7:30 to chop trees, etc. I ended up with 13 trees chopped, 87 stone, 2 coal, and 117 fiber. Adding in the 100g from the introductions quest, it's basically the same result money-wise.

So you have more time to run around cutting fiber, which makes perfect sense, but I didn't realize the difference was that big. At some point I must go back and try to make my route better, but not talking to people is definitely easier.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

If you earn fishing 5 on Wednesday and select the 25% bonus profession wednesday night you absolutly will earn the extra 25% bonus on those fish placed in the bin at any time on wednesday in the base game no matter if you pass out or go to bed. As you are not, there is something getting in the way. A mod or something else like a bug.

• One More Day

True, it's about the same moneywise, but the more weeds you clear the more space there is for acorns to drop, and I see no other benefit to talking to NPCs

************************************************

Unless this has been patched in 1.4 (and the release notes don't suggest that it has) you do not actually get the bonus if you sell the night you choose the perk. The end of day summary screen does show the amount with perk, but the next morning you still only get the basic amount.

In any case, you're better off staying at the water and fishing until 2am instead of losing an hour to go home and ship. You're going to need to go via Willy's to get more bait for day 4 anyway, so you don't save any time.

• UnexpectedParole

Sorry mate. Got to sleep in the bed, so I'm already home (lvl 5 fishing doesn't give refreshed energy). So I Might as well ship. Also, I have inventory issues with adding in the new iridium slots. After I've dropped fish at home from day 3, I don't always have enough inventory slots to carry it all to Willy's in the morning.
                                  Also, I am looking at Thursday sales not Wednesday. I bought my Wednesday and Thursday bait on Wednesday) I don't need bait for day 5. Bugs in the mine and all that. Moot point.

I'll start a new file or check my newest file if I have not hit fishing 5 yet and double check, But I'm pretty certain I've been getting the +25%. If not, then that would make the numbers I have been seeing compared to what others' have been professing make more sense.

But to be clear, you are saying that the night report shows X dollars being earned (1.25 value), but the next morning only Y dollars (1.0 value) are added to your treasury?

I'll post back.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
                                  • Elenna101

For what it's worth, that's also what I've heard (although I haven't gotten around to checking it)

• UnexpectedParole

I checked today.

I gained fishing 5 during spring 4 and had all of my spring 3 fish in the box. I got paid 100% price for my fish that night. Not 125%.
                                      The day 4 fish taken to Willy's shop on the morning of spring 5, got 125%.

I was certain I used to get the 25%. So it is possible that 1.4 removed this, as it could have concievably considered a bug.
                                      While not plan breaking, this will have to be accounted for going forward. Back to the drawing board to find time to go to Willy's. :)

Has anyone tried selling crops in the bin the night they get farmer 5?

• One More Day

As of 1.4, reaching level 5 or 10 in a skill will now guarantee a full energy bar in the morning.

This is why it's a good idea put a chest next to the fishing spot, to store what you can't carry. You don't need most of it the next day anyway. If you catch a decent amount of high value fish, whether catfish and shad from the river, or largemouth and bullhead from the lake, then you should only need a few slots to carry enough fish to afford a day 4 backpack and whatever seeds. You don't want to sell all of your fish immediately anyway, otherwise you're left with a bunch of surplus cash, which is a liability whenever you pass out at 2am.

This was certainly the case in 1.3, the release notes make no mention of this being fixed, and you seem to have confirmed that indeed, it hasn't been fixed

You only ever saw the perk value on the nightly summary, but you never actually received it in your pocket the following morning. It wasn't something removed in 1.4, it was always that way

Farming 5 (Tiller) definitely suffers from the same problem. Although I don't go in for selling wood, I rather suspect that Foraging 5 (Forester) would also not get the perk, and also the various Level 10 perks on various skills that offer improved sale values.