1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Online co-op

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Veav, May 6, 2013.

1. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The one thing that's kept me from buying in: networked multiplayer. My co-op buddy lives about 1500 miles away.

I realize this might not fit into the development schedule (or be intended at all) but it's the feature that would open my wallet. :catface2:

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There will be co-op by enternet I think. You can find video of co-op pgameplay in media section of this site.

• Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Everything I've seen so far indicates that's local co-op - I'd love to find out I'm wrong about that though.

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

I wonder if you can use tunngle/hamachi to do local co-op..

• gangwarily

gangwarily Astral Cartographer

Currently, local co-op (multiple gamepads on one PC) is the only method of multiplayer. If you look in the FAQ page on the official website, it says that the devs are talking with someone possibly adding online multiplayer :)

• navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can. Hamachi emulates a LAN network over the Internet, so you can play LAN games online.

• Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, but the big question - is the game LAN-enabled? Right now all signs point to hotseat multiplayer, one computer with multiple input methods.

• Ah, yeah that'll be a big thing for me too. I will support them though, I can see myself playing this solo but id really enjoy having the option to play with my best friend who lives a state away, its about the only way we get to hang every once in a while.

• Is there a roadmap for Risk of Rain? I only know of the one for Starbound.

• Hehe its all good.

• Jone991

Jone991 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There should be at least be Splitscreen co-op what i watched that local co-op video with only one screen it looked "horrible" :D

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Agreed. It looked rather disorienting for them to be so far offscreen and try to figure out how to follow.

• Pastuleio

Pastuleio Risk of Rain Developer

As gangwarily kindly mentioned, we are currently working with a partner who thinks online multiplayer will be possible.
                            Not a 100% promise, but we are working on it and things are looking good so far. :)

• QuaziPance

QuaziPance Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not saying you should do this, might not be necessary, might even scare people off. However, if the financial burden of online multiplayer ends up being too great, you could always do a pledge drive via your website (or through humble store like starbound did, might even be able to get them to help out with setting it up). I'm sure that there are plenty who would be willing to pledge a little extra for the goal of online multiplayer. Especially if it had a nice server-finder interface and allowed for easy pick-up games and what-not. Steam integration would be another great goal.

Anyways. I'm not sure I care much if there is online multiplayer or not, I'm more of a single player type of gamer, but I know that a lot of people really do prefer to play their games online with others. Also there are so many other games that are in this "genre" that people constantly request online multiplayer for (BoI, spelunky, etc.) So having online multiplayer could really carve a place in the market for your game.

Pastuleio likes this.
                              • Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now THAT'S more like it!

Leth and Pastuleio like this.
                                • gangwarily

gangwarily Astral Cartographer

I bet you're super stoked :]