1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue openSUSE 64-bit Failure to launch game

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by thetraindoctor, Jun 14, 2017.

1. thetraindoctor

thetraindoctor Orbital Explorer

Information in summary for the devs;
    • What: Crash on attempting to load character (Fixed issue due to incorrect issue name)
    • How/Activity: Attempting to launch from executable, steam or ./run-client.sh script
    • Repetition: 100% reproduction rate out of 50 attempted launches
    • OS: Linux 64-bit, specifically openSUSE Leap 42.2 within the Plasma 5 desktop
      • (This error does not seem to occur on Windows but I have not been able to properly test it on Windows)
    • Mods?: I have tested with and without mods. 25 of my 50 attempted launches were done without mods
    • Error Logs: Included below, one for ./run-client.sh or executable/Steam
    EDIT: Removed custom launch commands and the game starts from Steam properly but crashes once I select a character to load. Error type has changed.
    EDIT 2: I have resolved the issue on my own. Some unknown change to my game caused my characters to become corrupted. I will be testing mods individually in case one of them was the cause of this issue.

On the openSUSE distribution, recent updates to steam have forced users to launch steam through the terminal with this command;
    Code:
    STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0 steam
    For a couple days of applying this to my launches and running all of my Linux supported games fine via steam, 1-2 days ago I encountered an error. Here is that error,
    Code:
    [Error] Fatal Error: Segfault Encountered!
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star10fatalErrorEPKcb+0x43) [0xaa9933]
    /lib64/libc.so.6(+0x34950) [0x7f83036d3950]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star9MainMixer4readEPsm+0) [0x1531260]
    /usr/lib64/libSDL2-2.0.so.0(+0x1632b) [0x7f830550532b]
    /usr/lib64/libSDL2-2.0.so.0(+0x7527d) [0x7f830556427d]
    /usr/lib64/libSDL2-2.0.so.0(+0xbccc9) [0x7f83055abcc9]
    /lib64/libpthread.so.0(+0x8744) [0x7f830415f744]
    /lib64/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d) [0x7f8303788d3d]
    /home/traindoctor/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/linux/run-client.sh: line 5:  5206 Aborted  (core dumped) LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:./" ./starbound "$@"
    If any other logs are needed I will be happy to provide them. This was done through attempting to launch the game by launching through steam itself or clicking on the executable.

Using ./runclient.sh with or without sudo, clicking on the executable or launching from steam brings me to the menu and it seems to work perfectly well but upon attempting to load a character, brand new or old, vanilla or modded, the game will crash upon trying to load a character. I've attempted to make new characters, reinstall the entire game, nothing is working.

I have re-validated my files multiple times and attempted with all of my mods installed and uninstalled. The error remains the same no matter what. I have also attempted to launch the game without STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0 but the error does not change.

Thanks in advance for any and all aid,

TheTrainDoctor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please avoid using black font color. Some forum users (like me) are still using the old dark theme and it is mostly impossible to read without selecting the whole text. I edited your post for you.

The logs for starbound are located in the storage folder of your starbound install.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

3. thetraindoctor

thetraindoctor Orbital Explorer

Appreciate the help. I've edited out all the colored text. The reason for not having logs currently is because their are multiple different issues that all either arise on their own depending upon their method of launching. I will be including them as soon as I can

4. Batmon

Batmon Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if this has already been figured out but I had this same problem and I was able to install all needed libraries through YaST. First it needed the libSDL, then it needed libGLU, and I found both of these libraries in YaST and the game runs now.