Opinion : Reinforcement is too expensive

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TheSpacePope!, Feb 17, 2019.

1. TheSpacePope!

TheSpacePope! Space Hobo

I think that reinforcement is too "expensive" in the game.

Right now, to reinforce a Unit you need Gold and to sacrifice a city HP. The problem is that the amount of gold needed is barely less than the cost of a brand new unit, and since reinforcement also mean you have to make your cities very vulnerable and that they only get 1HP back per turn, it does feel when I play the game that reinforcement is more "expensive" than a new unit (if I consider the price I pay in Gold + the price I pay in city HP). That create a weird situation where saving a unit before it dies doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. It's simpler to let the enemy kill your Trebuchet and buy a new one than spending barely less gold and dropping the HP of one of my city.

I think the game could be balanced differently and that it would make actually finishing enemy units more significant (and saving yours too). I feel that the game should make you want to save your units if you can instead of simply buying fresh new one.

For example : right now it cost 464 Gold to heal a Balista by 6 HP. Assuming the cost is linear (I admit, I didn't check if it is), it mean that in reinforcement, 9 Balista HP is worth 696 Gold + 9 HP from one of your city. Considering that a brand new one is 104 Gold more expensive, it raise the question if those 9 city HP are really worth saving 104 Gold ? (technically it's even less than 104 Gold since a new unit give you 10 unit HP, in reality you are saving like 50 Gold max.)

It seems to me to be a weird ressource choice. The only advantage is keeping your units near the front, but at the same time, the cities near the front are those you don't want to remove HP from.

The way I see it, the game would offer more interesting strategic dilemmas to players if this was tweaked in a way that make saving your units or finishing enemy units more impactful.

This could be achieved in different ways :

1. Simply make reinforcement less expensive in term of gold. If I'm gonna sacrifice a huge chunk of a city HP, I should be incentivized to do so by saving more Gold. 9 city HP to save 100 Gold is really not worth it.

2. Make City HP less expensive. For example, having cities spend 1 city HP to fill 2 Unit HP. Another way could be to make cities regenerate more than 1 HP per turn.

3. Make barracks able to reinforce without spending their own HP. It's weird that a barrack can spawn a brand new 10HP Unit but can't reinforce a new one without spending all its HP ressources. This could at least create an incentive to retreat units back to heal them.

Personally I think that option 1 & 3 are the best. Option 2 could work in a way, but I fear it could unbalance the game. Right now the clear advantage of having limited city HP when doing reinforcement is that it prevent the game from stalling because all players are constantly healing their units. It's good to have a limit on that. However, I do feel that if you do reinforcement, you should save a bigger amount of Gold than you are actually are, for it to be worth it. Also, option 3, having barracks act as a special reinforcement building would make logical sense and would also reward a player for taking time to retreat his units.

Alphius likes this.
    • Miinow

Miinow Void-Bound Voyager

Reinforcing a unit is not nearly as bad as it sounds on paper (sacrifice city hp, same cost, have to use units turn). Allow me to explain why :D

The thing is that most wargroove maps have very limited ground production capabilities - only 1 or 2 barrackses. Also, cheap units, especially pikemen, tend to be more cost effective than the more expensive ones. So one would want to typically build 2 cheap units from a barracks rather than 1 expensive one, but of course can't do this. Thus, he has to sometimes also build expensive units to avoid floating cash. What my point with this is, that you always want to build something from your barracks because quantity is power. Now we come to the concept of reinforcing. The only other thing in addition to always building something you can do to maximize the number of units you have, is to keep as many of them alive as possible = reinforce your injured units. Even if it sometimes feels weakening, expensive or unjustified, it's surprisingly often the right thing to do. If you have let's say 7 units worth of 2000 gold and your enemy has 4 units worth of 2500 gold in the heat of the battle, you will most likely win that engagement.