Boss Opticeps

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by FaceDavid, Mar 8, 2013.

1. FaceDavid

FaceDavid 2.7182818284590...

[​IMG]

Approx. scale: it's thumb is almost the size of a player
    Not pictured:
    No, his shoulders aren't space heaters. They're lasers. He also fires lasers from his eye, too.
    Possible missile type for shoulder lasers.
    Drill Punch; Fist spins around really fast while punching. He can also drill punch the ground, digging up blocks.
    Grab; grabs the SHIT out of players, nearly crushing them
    Bug Squash; Tries to crush players under his palm like a pest. He hovers above them with his hand raised before hitting.

Pictured but not descriptive enough:
    Handgun; fires lasers from his fingertips. LASERS. NOT BULLETS DAMN IT.
    Chop; Goes through blocks. Sometimes. If it doesn't, he'll get an ouchie.
    supre dooper popeye punch thing; If you get hit by this not only will the player take metric buttloads of damage but he'll also be sent flying.

General Tactics:
    He can hover around quite swiftly in the air, but (assuming there's speed upgrades) if the player is fast enough, it's possible that he can be outrun. His attacks do deal a lot of damage most of the time, but they're telegraphed pretty easily to the player. However, the lower his health is, the more of a spazz he can be. Meaning at very low health, he'll be swinging punches and firing lasers pretty damn rapidly.

I also (kinda) made 4 references with his design. Can you find them all?
    (im hoping you can at least find 1)

Zeklo, Coolstuff206, TheBoon and 12 others like this.
  2. navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice! Reminds me of Master Hand somehow.

3. Aces

Aces Aquatic Astronaut

geodude! geodude!

4. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

question how big is he to be exact size. Cuz if we look the graphic on the normal human's size they are fair size and looking at the picture he is about like 6-9 X human size...

5. SaintDeath21

SaintDeath21 Intergalactic Tourist

This would definitely be good for a boss. especially since you stated that he attacks more frequently the lower his health gets. make him a lot bigger than the player and i think i would have a good time fighting this boss. only thing i dont like is that he can destroy tiles. makes an arena kinda annoying to have to repair after each fight

Krikitt likes this.
  6. FaceDavid

boop one reference down
    uh
    i have no idea what that's supposed to say but did you not see the caption under the picture?

7. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

very good idea in general but i just want to clear something up.
    sure, these ideas are fine. (along with most others)
    No. I don't want another terraria knock-off. i want original starbound bosses.

READ : being a cyber-baddass is one thing, but constantly shooting lasers while punching the shit out of you is another.
    He's going to be punching you and moving around so fast, that lasers aren't needed. just stick with good ol' punching. hand lasers are cool though, he'll move away just to do that attack and it breaks up his pattern a bit.

8. ChaoticGamer

you don't look the size of that thing? Here is da graph

[​IMG] which I got this from dragonith this one for example which I hope he doesn't be bother if I use it for the moment.

Form that machine, how huge is it really?

9. Affero

Affero Contributor

I like it!

10. FaceDavid

Again, the answer is in the caption.
    Of course he won't be firing lasers while he's swinging punches. And when he does fire lasers from his shoulders/eye, it'll be telegraped to the player by him charging the laser up.
    Also, shooting lasers from it's eye wasn't meant to be a reference, but The Twins are referenced in it's name.
    Retinazer = Retina + Lazer
    Spazmatism = Spaz + Stigmatism
    Opticeps = Optic + Biceps

11. SaintDeath21

SaintDeath21 Intergalactic Tourist

i think i spotted another reference. in the picture to the bottom left, is it a reference to Captain Falcon charging his falcon punch?

12. FaceDavid

No, it's a reference to Popeye.
    That's actually not one of the 4 references in his design but it's there

13. yoppyx

yoppyx Existential Complex

Reminds me of portal.

Great art!

14. ChaoticGamer

from my measuring, his arm length is about 8 x human's size and double on center control. So...yea I guess that is good size, (off the topic) I don't know why they didn't take in one other people's arts so much *sigh* Why does every dreams dies so hard.

15. FaceDavid

Thanks!
    Yeah, it's expected that he's quite large.

16. Meldieboy

Meldieboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is his retina meant to look slightly like an inverted capital omega?

17. ChaoticGamer

yup he is about size this guy here

click link: http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc148/macorncan/10-15-201261311PM-1.jpg

accept that he is about complete 8 human's size and quite the hunter. I did use this b4 but turns out my zen'rk went missing on NPC boss forum which I believed it been deleted and I been trying to finish up my paper works of art but turns out my scanner turned into paranoid moment.

I see your is really fine idea for boss, mine also as well. I might re-make the forum as I get the scanner working or may not. Well, lets hope our boss meet up in the future soon or we both never make it.

18. FaceDavid

No, I originally wanted to use Metal Sonic's eyes, but they were too basic, so I just added some things to it.

19. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

Love the art you made, they look really cool.

20. FaceDavid

Thank you!