1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Origins of Species 1.0.2

Unique origin missions for each species

1. rl.starbound

rl.starbound Phantasmal Quasar

rl.starbound submitted a new mod:

Origins of Species - Unique origin missions for each species

Read more about this mod...

2. rl.starbound

3. rl.starbound

4. Morden

Morden Void-Bound Voyager

I like the two origin missions I've played so far, but I had a strange experience after playing the Apex prologue: the place where I ended up in orbit didn't have a mine. Everything else was normal -- size 4 lush world, minimal threat rating, all that stuff. But there was no artificial entrance to the underground, no camper hanging around just outside, no handy containers with miscellaneous supplies, no big beastie to kill to get all 20 core fragments in one go, none of that stuff. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and none of the other mods I'm using do anything with the starter missions, so I hope this is something you can track down and fix in your mod.

P.S. No problems at all with the Avian mission. Haven't tried any others yet.

5. rl.starbound

Sorry to hear about that. My mod doesn't alter anything involving the selection of the starter planet. Starter planet selection and intro mission are unrelated, code-wise.

Furthermore, in vanilla, every lush world (known internally as a garden world) should always generate with an ancient gateway (known internally as a gardengate dungeon) and a mine (known internally as a naturalcave dungeon), and my code doesn't alter lush world generation in any way. What other mods do you have? I'm betting that you have a mod that adds a new dungeon type to the universe, and that mod is mistakenly adding its dungeon type to all world types, including lush worlds. This is a big mistake, as doing so will (with some statistical probability) result in exactly what you've experienced.

Read on if you want to learn more about the code involved:

World types that can spawn into the universe are defined in Starbound in the celestial.config file. The actual definitions of the worlds are in terrestrial_worlds.config. If you look in the planetTypes section within that file, you'll find the garden definition:

Code:
    "garden" : {
      "threatRange" : [1, 1],
      "layers" : {
        "surface" : {
          "primaryRegion" : ["garden"],
          "secondaryRegions" : ["forest"],
          "dungeonCountRange" : [2, 2],
          "dungeons" : [[1.0, "naturalcave"], [1.0, "gardengate"]]
        }
      }
    }
    "threatRange" : [1, 1] means all garden worlds will have a minimum threat level of 1 and a maximum threat level of 1, or in other words, a threat level of exactly 1. Surface layer with a primaryRegion biome of garden and a secondaryRegion biome of forest means the surface of all garden worlds will consist of garden and forest biomes. Now comes the part that's most important for your situation. "dungeonCountRange" : [2,2] means that every garden world will spawn with exactly 2 different dungeons. The next key, dungeons, defines exactly 2 dungeon types that may spawn on a garden world, which means that both of these dungeon types are guaranteed to appear on every garden world.

Now, I bet you've got a mod that mistakenly adds one or more other dungeons to the dungeons key for garden worlds. Doing this would mean that, instead of a gardengate and a naturalcave being guaranteed to appear on every garden planet, each will only appear on any new garden planet with some probability.

If you're so inclined, you can unpack each mod and have and look for any that change the terrestrial_worlds.config file, specifically to patch in some new dungeon type into garden worlds. You'll find that mod is the likely culprit.

6. Morden

Morden Void-Bound Voyager

I appreciate the info, thank you. And yes, I do have a couple of mods loaded up that add new dungeons. Oddly enough, though, none of them were present, either. The only thing on the surface of the planet was the ancient gateway (and the other dungeon mods aren't geared towards undergound adventures). Well, if it happens again, I guess I'll either have to burrow down to the vicinity of the core again, or maybe just spawn in some core fragments for myself. At least now I have an idea of what's probably going on, so thanks again.

7. rl.starbound

Another thing you can try is to check your starbound.log file immediately after visiting a new lush world for the first time. You should see some log entries for placing a naturalcave dungeon. It's possible that something is causing this to fail, so you can check for error messages that might point to a culprit.