RELEASED Out of Season Bonuses

Discussion in 'Mods' started by azureglasses, Aug 31, 2017.

1. azureglasses

azureglasses Void-Bound Voyager

So a couple days ago I saw someone offhandedly mention that it might be nice for NPCs to recognize the value of an item that was out of season, so I figured I might as well use it as an excuse to dip my feet into modding. Sorry if something like this already exists! I couldn't find anything myself, but I might've missed it.

The mod does two things - increases the sell price and friendship bonus when given as a gift for out-of-season items (including crops, forage, and fish). The bonus is 10% one season after, 15% two seasons after, and 20% three seasons after.

It should work out of the box when installed like any other SMAPI mod - however, I have only tested it on my machine (Windows) so I would appreciate it if someone could tell me whether it works on other OSes too!

You may notice that there's discrepancies between chest item prices and inventory item prices if you use a UI mod and install this mod on an existing save. To fix this, you can either a) wait until the 1st of the next season, b) manually put the item in your inventory then back into the chest, or c) put a stone in your fridge then wait until the next day. This should update all chest items to have the correct bonus.

I haven't released it on NexusMods or anything yet, but I've attached the mod zip and you can view the source code here.

It's a minor mod, but I hope people might like it for the immersion :)

Attached Files:

karcea, ninsect, xangria and 4 others like this.
    • DarkOmegaMK2

DarkOmegaMK2 Pangalactic Porcupine

You mention this works on crops, forage and fish. Does this also work with wines and jars? considering they also utilize a potential out of season component.

EDIT:
      Are flowers also considered?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
        xangria likes this.
      • azureglasses

Flowers are included, yes. Also Fruit Tree fruits.

Processed items like jars/wines are not included. It wouldn't be very hard to add them I don't think, so I can if you want me to.

I'm not sure if it would make sense to though, since processing foods makes them last longer and would theoretically take away the 'novelty' of the item. The ideal 'final form' of this mod would be something that included some kind of freshness system like in Harvest Moon, but I'm not sure whether people would be interested in that. Maybe a basic one that just removed the bonus if the item wasn't stored in the fridge or some kind of new 'freezer' chest? But since none of that is implemented I guess it doesn't really matter rn.

• DarkOmegaMK2

If you think its inconvenient or not in tune with the idea for the mod then i don't mind if you don't do it.

Also what would be neat, although, considerably more tricky is to affect the friendship bonus variable for dishes that use out-of-season ingredients, but i realize the amount of work would be titanic as it would be editing each individual dish.

• azureglasses

I like that idea! I'll look into it - if I can find the recipe ingredients stored somewhere accessible then it won't be as much manual work since I've already done all the work for the food items. If not, it shouldn't be that hard code-wise, just tedious.

• DarkOmegaMK2

Whatever you find more convenient is fine :D

Either way the idea for the mod and the functionality it has right now makes it a pretty neat feature.

azureglasses likes this.
              • karcea

karcea Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh this is such a lovely idea, thank you for sharing!

• Cue57

Cue57 Intergalactic Tourist

Hello azureglasses. I love the mod. It is a great idea. I just wanted to let you know that this mod has made all of my jelly, pickle, and wine prices the same no matter what crop I use to make them. I tested to see if it was this mod by deleting the mod and creating different jellies, pickles and wines from various crops. After the mod was uninstalled the newly created items were priced correctly, but the old items still had the wrong price and if I tried to stack the new items with the old incorrectly priced ones the old price was kept for all items in the stack. Unfortunately to fix this I had to uninstall your mod and get rid of all jelly, pickles, and wine I had stored so that it did not corrupt the prices of new artisan items. I'm hoping you can fix this because I really like your mod and would like to be able to reinstall it.