NPC Outpost NPC - The Hacker

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Bonabopn, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Hi! c:
    I am here today to share with you my idea: a Starbound NPC for the Outpost that could be useful. As you might've guessed, (s)he's called "The Hacker."
    The Hacker offers upgrades and changes for your Ship's AI/Planet Scanner. If you supply them with core fragment ores and pixels, they will give you little 'patch' items which you upload to your ship.
    Examples of what they might offer:
    • Change your Ship's AI to a different race's.
    • Change your Ship's AI's speech pattern/appearance.
    • Change what your Ship's AI refers to you as.
    • Enable your Planet Scanner to access the Planet Registry; ie if a planet is occupied/owned (except secret bases) it will tell you what sort of occupants/dungeons there are.
    • Enable your Planet Scanner to detect ores (only if chucklefish makes the tier 5-6 ores come on seperate planets)
    They could also give AI/Scanner upgrades for things that are currently standard, so you wouldn't be able to see secondary biomes or weather and such until you upgrade.
    Plus, there's also the possibility they upgrade other parts of your ship, like your teleporter, tech station and 3d printer.
    (They *could* upgrade your storage, but there's not much to upgrade except space, which doesn't make much sense)

What do you guys think? Do you have any other suggestions for things they could do? c:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

I lieks O: Three millys support

Bonabopn likes this.
  3. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Hmm I like the
    i like how they can be used and I like the idea (really, I do)

But I have to say one thing, if the hacker can change your races thinking e.i a avian to apex... Wouldn't that make the hacker a neurosurgeon?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  4. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Tech upgrades for high costs based on the planet tier the hacker is on, secret/specialty starmaps, coordinates to unique/rare locations, matter manipulator upgrades, UI upgrades / reskins.

Would be great. Though with the UI upgrades it'd be nice to have a decent UI in the first place rather than user interface that is merely "passable". (Such as proper scrolling in menus with the slider, a simple delete button for the character menu, recipe sorting, ect).

5. Bonabopn

They're not changing your character's thinking, these are changes to your ship's AI and stuff c:
    I kinda figured they'd fit better on the Outpost, rather than on random planets. Gives more reason to visit it.
    And i didn't mean UI upgrades, i meant AI appearance and AI/Scanner abilities. c:

6. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

I must have read that wrong then...whoops

7. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's right, that location past the Gate is the "Outpost", isn't it? I was thinking of a one of the random lil locations on worlds that was called an outpost.

And I meant UI. UI is/can be represented as an in-character object as well in the form of some sort of communications device, and as such be modified in an in-character manner.

8. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

This sounds like a great idea!
    Considering I like to play as an Avian and their AI is just weird changing it would be cool also I really want my AI to call me "fabulous" because that'll be hilarious.

But what I find weird are the planet scanner ideas, while they're a good idea I don't think it makes sense for a hacker to do so, maybe an engineer.
    Because planet scanner features would most likely be hardware upgrades such as improved scanners, a hacker can only affect software, so that wouldn't make much sense :unsure:

But apart from that, I approve! This is one of the better suggestions out there! :up:

Bonabopn likes this.
  9. DrVoodoo

DrVoodoo Cosmic Narwhal

Great idea.

Bonabopn likes this.
  10. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

I like it.

Bonabopn likes this.
  11. Jahhirr

Jahhirr Void-Bound Voyager

This hacker hacked you life. :eek:

12. Bonabopn

Again, no, they give changes to your Ship's AI and Scanner, not your character. Edited OP to clarify.

13. Bonabopn

Beep. Time for a bump.

Relten likes this.
  14. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Indeed, a bump is needed...no sense letting a good idea to to waste.

Bonabopn likes this.
  15. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

A use for core fragments? I'm in.

Relten and Bonabopn like this.
  16. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

You know, this might become a thing now that ship crews are coming in an update soon. Definitely would be a helpful member to have around.

Jareix Cryvix and Bonabopn like this.
  17. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Dat supreme necro tho.

DrVoodoo likes this.
  18. Bonabopn

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
    *wink*

19. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

How many yes can this idea have?