Race Per-race shoulder node and scale settings

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by RyuujinZERO, Dec 19, 2013.

1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It'd be very useful for custom player races if we could define the shoulder node offset for our sprites on a per-race basis, instead of all player races using the same position. Likewise it'd be handy if we could set a "scale" for races so we can create races bigger or smaller than normal

This'd allow us to make race that do not fit the normal humanoid template, such as very tall or short races, or races with extremely alien anatomy (I'm thinking tentacles!)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I think this idea deserves a bump and a second look. Allowing us to define our own shoulder pivot offset, on a per-race basis would allow us to make far more exotic custom races! Surely you guys don't all want to be stuck with every race being "humanoids with different nose ridges and funny ears" right? - Speak up and let it be heard if you want this minor change for infinitely more racial variety

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  3. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would be for being able to change the scaling/offset for the custom races. I would think it would allow for a larger range of custom races. For example penguins, taller humanoid or non humanoid creatures, short yet wide creatures like spiders, worms, etc.

Sefercil and PabloElPuas like this.
  4. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

it would be interesting, i have been thinging of bringing up my idea for a "rock' people, but i want them to be kinda bigger then a human and broader, but i wonder if i will be restrained because the the limited size of the sprites.

5. MyLittleBurger

I would think so, that and I'm not sure if the hit box of the character is that easily changeable (like having a tall character but them still having the hitbox of a normal character and still being able to go through 4 block high places.).

6. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

Hm, also you have to take into consideration of the size of the doors in the game. They wont want to have to change the size of the doors as that would be a huge overhaul.

Mehridian likes this.
  7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I don't think changing hitbox sizes would be an "issue" for a few reasons:

1) Players can't "cheat" with it because the server would also require the mod installed for it to work anyway. So presumably the server admin is aware of this.

2) When you install a mod privately, you basically accept that you may have some issues arising from that, so if you find you can't fit through a door, that's kind've your own problem to deal with, not for the devs to say "no" nor their problem to fix

3) GIANT ROCK MAN SMUSH PUNY DOOR!

8. MyLittleBurger

Actually, if some sort of crouch walking mechanic was added, you could likely have it so the character could fit through smaller spaces (though that would also require more sprites/likely another mod or mechanic to implement that).
    I would think number 3 would fit in well... If you can't fit through it, then just destroy/mine through it. The only thing this may not work with is maybe dungeons (once they get the dungeon heart added) but that would only be if you race is extremely tall.

9. Witiko88

Witiko88 Seal Broken

with mods this is totally possible, but i was considering this to be input into the actual game by the devs, that's why i brought them up.

10. Katsum3562

Katsum3562 Void-Bound Voyager

I would Like to see this in the game!
    This would be basically making your own species which would be awesome! (I could make a hobbit! First thing that came into my mind after watching Lord of the rings Recently)
    Some things like if your short in the game you could fit into small holes to get away from monsters More easily
    If you were tall then... Um i dont have any ideas for tall maybe you could jump higher than usual?
    Middle would just be human unless you add tentacles or something
    with short people they could have normal doors Tall people could just have some giant hole in there roof or crouch through or something like that (or just use the Big doors from the Glicth)

11. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

I am in complete agreement with the original post. I have been working on a mod that would make humans ..approx 7'5" in relation to the 5'9" current size ... however I would need to define my own frames and size... if anyone knows how to mod that please lemme know.

12. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Well there are doors that are larger than most. The Glitch Castle door for 1 I think is 7-9 blocks tall and it works fine. Redoing that kind of door to be metal would be a quick paint job and a crafting schematic for the mod. Smaller ones would be troublesome in the manner aforementioned by Witiko88.

13. Inaire777

Inaire777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

RyuujinZERO i like this idea. I wonder though why have u not tried suggesting ur awesome avali as an actual race?

14. ChaosThe13

ChaosThe13 Void-Bound Voyager

I think Chucklefish should add features meant more for modding, because not all modders are able to add new features specifically for their mods without breaking stuff in the game.

15. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

An (as of yet unwritten) idea of mine includes a larger than human species, so I totally agree with this idea

16. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

The problem with this is interchangeability.

If you allow races significantly larger or smaller than the human norm, or those with very different shapes, how do their armors fit on humans and existing races, and how would they use the armor of existing races?

From a realistic and from a game mechanic standpoint, races allowed to be significantly larger or smaller or differently shaped than humans would not be able to properly use armor meant for other species. Right now, that's not much of a problem since race is largely cosmetic, and all race armors have the same functions and stats at the same tier, but early news on the game discussed the use of armor mods that would be racial in origin. I've heard no news that the armor mod idea has been cancelled.

Therefore, races unable to use other races' armor would be significantly disadvantaged in versatility early on, as they could only wear their own gear and nothing else.

In addition, most furniture and scenery objects, as well as existing construction for dungeons and towns, assumes that the player fits within a 4-block tall, 2-block-wide space. Playable characters significantly larger or smaller than that might have difficulties or exploitable advantages navigating these structures, especially if they're block-protected.

17. ChaosThe13

ChaosThe13 Void-Bound Voyager

The main problem would be armor not fitting the larger/smaller races, and the only way for this to work is for most armor to be incompatible with these races, or through armor texture overrides, as I explain in my thread here.

18. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

How about being able to replicate the same armor with a resizing crafting station, with larger races it cost more and with smaller ones it cost less than the original

19. YuutaroHiroshio

YuutaroHiroshio Big Damn Hero

Customising race sizes would be cool to have access to, though I imagine it would need a lot of reworking in order to add in functionality with the other races.

20. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

It would be very cool