1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Perfectly Generic Items Are From Homestuck

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by PWNn00bsdaily, May 11, 2016.

1. PWNn00bsdaily

PWNn00bsdaily Astral Cartographer

If you don't already know, a perfectly Generic Item in Starbound is a perfectly generic green cube given to you when you've tried spawning in items with an invalid code.

Now, recently, I was directed to the web comic called Homestuck by a friend, which was started by Andrew Hussie around 2009. I began reading it, enjoying it, and as I delved farther down the path, I noticed that one of the main characters, Rose, created 3 green cubes atop a platform, which were aptly named Perfectly Generic Objects.

Is the items from Starbound a direct reference to Homestuck?

2. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Starbound is full of references, some might say too many in fact as it kinda take away from the lore sometimes. So I wouldn't doubt it. If you think it is a direct reference then it most likely is.

I try to get into Homestuck a few times but simply couldn't. I heard some people recommend skipping a chunk of it but I'm not the type to do such. If I am going to read it then I'll do it as intended.

PWNn00bsdaily likes this.
  3. PWNn00bsdaily

Im only on act 4 and because i started a few days ago, but i genuinely love it. It may be a direct refrence, but we wouldnt know until... wait... *checks wiki* YUP. Under trivia is states it takes it from homestuck, which is good because then i can lour homestuck friends of mine to this beautiful game and actually have friends that play the same game.

4. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Yes, they are a reference. I actually learned of the PGOs from Starbound first too, and was pleasantly surprised when I encountered them in HS.
    (Also pretty sure it was Roxy who made the PGOs, unless they appeared much earlier than I recall. Void powers. Take the nothingness from nothing and you get the most boring something possible.)

I imagine they probably said to skip the first intermission.
    Pro Tip: SKIP NOTHING. The intermissions are important. Conversations are important. Flashes are important. The walkaround segments that can take hours are important.
    It is all important. If you want to read HS you must be prepared to spend a lot of time reading and watching.

Act 4? Oh you poor sweet innocent soul... You have not even touched the edge of the rabbit-hole. *incoherent cackling*

5. PWNn00bsdaily

I KNOW I told my friend that the trolls piss me off and she said "JUST YOU FUKIN WAIT"

6. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Pffffhahahaha! I remember when the trolls were annoying. Trust me, that is the least of your problems.
    In fact, I'd go so far as to say it isn't even a problem to begin with when you get into the scale of things...
    Let me put it in perspective:

Act 1 - 0247 pages
    Act 2 - 0511 pages
    Act 3 - 0395 pages
    Int 1 - 0204 pages
    Act 4 - 0631 pages
    1988 pages. 24.479743873907154% of Homestuck.

Act 5 - 2119 pages
    Int 2 - 0002 pages
    2121 pages. 26.117473217584042% of Homestuck.

Act 6 - 4010 pages
    Act 7 - 0002 pages
    4012 pages. 49.402782908508804% of Homestuck.

8121 pages total.
    You have 75.52025612609285% of Homestuck left to go if you've read all of Act 4.
    Have fun!

7. PWNn00bsdaily

Christ. I got nothing better to do anyway. BETTER GET TO READING!