1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Perfectly good tenant house not allowing tenants

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by les8ean, Jun 27, 2018.

1. les8ean

les8ean Space Hobo

so i've been building up a colony planet, and wanted to build some rather big houses in one area. However, when i put up tenant deeds in the 3 houses i've built and decorated they keep saying the houses are unfit for tenants. i've triple checked every house for holes in the walls and roof and background, and can't find any. all houses are well lit and have doors (i made sure not to use doors from mods in case that was the problem), and yet i still can't get any tenants to move in (i just get the red X). is there a house size limit? or some other necessity for tenants to move in?

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Sounds like you tick all the boxes. Can you post a screenshot?

3. ProfMoebius

ProfMoebius Space Penguin Leader

Its probably window lattice doesnt count as having covered the window opening, if you have any.

4. les8ean

les8ean Space Hobo

here are screenshots of the houses (did my best to capture all of them)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

starboundATL and Ickura like this.
  5. Jonesy

If what ProfMoebius said is correct, several of those background blocks aren't suitable. I'd suggest temporarily sealing off the parts where you're using wooden lattices and blinds or the iron bars, and try moving a tenant into them as a test. If you can't, then those blocks are likely the culprit.

starboundATL likes this.
  6. les8ean

les8ean Space Hobo

i'll give it a shot.
    it's strange, lattice windows have always been fine in the past.... in fact almost all of these materials have been fine in the past. wonder which it is that is breaking it :p

edit: i replaced the lattice windows but it still isn't working (on the glitch tower, haven't tried the other houses yet)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. Jonesy

I thought it was. I'm using lattices in my earliest colony.

If that doesn't work, the fact that each 'room' is actually a large building may also be a contributing factor. Perhaps try and separate them into smaller rooms divided by doors.

8. les8ean

les8ean Space Hobo

that could be it, but i've had other hosues with seperate rooms.
    could it be because there's a terraformer nearby?

9. Jonesy

I don't think the terraformer would affect it.

10. les8ean

les8ean Space Hobo

i've replaced the background blocks that i dont usually use, but it still isn't working :(

11. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

The problem that I can see is a lack of doors. also if a room is too large it will not count as being suitable, but I am sure that the blocks you are using are fine. I actually haven't found a block that isn't usable as a background.

starboundATL likes this.
  12. les8ean

les8ean Space Hobo

it's odd because i've had really big houses before, but i guess i never actually passed the limit? guess i'll have to resize some of my houses...

update: i removed the top floor of the offending homes and it worked just fine! thanks for your help everyone <3

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2018
    starboundATL, ProfMoebius and Jonesy like this.