Personal Wiki Help (In game)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by petethepug, Dec 25, 2015.

1. petethepug

petethepug Space Penguin Leader

Ever thought someone may need help, and has never heard of the wiki? Or doing a recording, and doesn't want to exit out of the application to look at the wiki, no need to fear!

So basically I had an idea that S.A.I.L has a 'Hero Help Manual', option, for crafting guides, how things spawn, etc.
    While there may not be direct quotes from the actual Wiki, there will be certain things that SAIL will go over.

From a random original quote;
    "S.A.I.L likes bananas, this may be referenced from Planet of The Apes"
    Compared to in game saying
    "Yes I do like bananas, seems similar to something, doesn't it?"

There will be chapters to the guides, as a result, S.A.I.L pretty much goes over the things you have discovered that are new, VIA Discovering S.A.I.L unlocks all information about SAIL, and so fourth. Or collecting wood will go over wood in depth without direct Wiki Quotes.

I honestly think its not much, but it adds a little addition for those who do not like personally using the wiki, and rather use it in game while recording, to get the viewers interested in the game/video as well.

(You can select 'G', to use your Portable S.A.I.L Guide)
    What do you guys think?

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Also, given how bad FPS drops in-game can be, I simply cannot be running SB with Borderless Window, because FPS drops irritate me, and BLW mode takes more resources to run, thus more lag.

This means I can't check wiki while playing and if I need to know something, I gotta Save&Exit, then quit the game entirely, look it up, and then boot the game back up which is a huge hassle. Having some sort of in-game resource would be awesome.

Is Starbounder.org official Chucklefish resources? If so, I don't get why there couldn't be an in-game browser that loads directly from that (and only that) website or some-such.

3. petethepug

petethepug Space Penguin Leader

Thank you for making your opinion <3.
    One thing you might want to do about the Lag is have your window minimized. If your Computer Screen (Monitor) is huge, going in full screen with certain applications may cause lag on Windows. This is because of all the resolution needed to load, which sometimes causes the game to stretch out, or lag to much.

Having it minimized can effectively make the game look a lot better, and can cause less lag on windows due to rendering less resolution.

Either that or your computer needs more Memory, or RAM to operate Starbound.

By resources I believe you mean the wiki,
    This is the 'official', Chuckle Fish Wiki for Starbound :).
    http://starbounder.org/Main_Page

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, I run in 1360x768 (which I STILL have to manually edit into the config file, after three updates of me making suggestions to add it to the in-game config) because it's the only resolution my monitor (which is actually a 27? 29? inch TV) accepts.

And yes, I was talking about wiki on Starbounder. If that's official Chucklefish-run material, then I don't get what would stop them from making an in-game browser that could load data from that wiki (but ONLY that wiki).