Pets!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by ShayKing, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ShayKing

ShayKing Orbital Explorer

I'm really hoping there will be pets in the game. It would be cool if they fought alongside you and had different abilities according to which one you "tamed". Maybe you could ride them. And they get experience points like the player. I would want to have a fox. Ideas below?

2. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

They have confirmed that you will be able to capture monsters and train them

3. ShayKing

ShayKing Orbital Explorer

Well, that's great! I guess I'm a little late then. but I'm very excited about the penguins.

4. Brigan Filgroinas

Brigan Filgroinas Void-Bound Voyager

The best drone companion idea I have ever seen was the golemancy in Legend of Mana (PSX / Squaresoft)
    It was like this:

-You created a golem mounting 1 weapon and various armor pieces.

-The quality of the weapon defined the size of logic grid (i will explain later).

-The quality of the armor defined golem stats like attack, defense, or magic.

-A golem's AI actions would be determined by the logic grid contents. that was a N x N grid in which you put some tetris-like pieces called logic blocks.

-Tou could only change the logic blocks in the golem workshop, not in battle.

-Each logic block was an attack type.

-The vertical axis was the preference hierarchy. the golem will use the topmost attack when possible, when not possible, try the second attack, and so on. (just like in the Final Fantasy 12's Gambit System).

-The horizontal axis defined how much the golem would expose itself to enemies before performing an attack (valiant vs coward).

-The tetris-like shape of logic blocks makes difficult to place them in an optimal arrangement.

-The unused logic grid cells caused situations when the golem would take no action (fortunately there were 1x1 low-rate logic blocks to fill gaps).

All of this generated funny situations were you yelled at the golem's stupidity when it performing a strong and slow attack against a single weak enemy or launched short range attacks from long range, missing the target.

So my idea is:

-You create mechanical non-playable pets (from now on reffered as mechapet).

-You recicle useless items like outdated armors to create mechapets.

-You use valuable game blocks to create valuable behavior. Beeing greedy can be lethal.

-You do not know the effects of a logic block unless you expose yourself to a mechapet equiped with the unidentified logic block.

-You cannot manipulate the mechapet's behavior once you are in a battle or any other dangerous situation so you must take responsability for the mechapet stupidity.

-The more risks you take creating the mechapet's AI, the highter chance to take great benefits.

-Your pet's stupidity can result in weird random situations which can be very profitable.

-The mechapet's stupidity is your own stupidity.

-Your mechapet's stupid-generated positive achievements are not your achievements.

-You shall feel terror when you see your mechapet behaving unexpectedly (like adopting an energy-charging stance that could be preceeding a nuclear blast from which you can't be sure to be able to escape on time).

------------------UPDATE------------------
    -Behavior blocks are destroyed when removed.

-Firstly placed behavior blocks can obstruct future block placing, So if you regret placing a valuable behavior block on an inconvenient arrangement, you must decide if you destroy the valuable behavior block or if you take the risks of creating a stupid AI arrangement placing new behavior blocks on the remaining space.

-Behavior blocks can be attacks, or can be abilities.

-Behavior blocks can be incompatible. A mechapet equiped with a high-tier attack logic block can only equip low tier non-attack logic block. So this mechapet would be a batte-oriented one.

-There are certain critical actions that can only be performed by your mechapet. (like hacking an electronically locked door). So you must expose yourself to your mechapet's Artificial Stupidity if you want to overcome certain game obstacles or situations.

-You shall feel stupid when you see your mechapet has started to open a security door that says DO NOT OPEN and leads to a room filled with extremely dangerous monsters.

-You shall facepalm when you see your mechapet hacking an explosive mimic cyberchest.