Boss Planet sized bosses!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by dannyboy8899, Jun 26, 2013.

?

planet-sized bosses or the planet is the boss

1. planet-sized bosses

67 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. The planet is the boss

93 vote(s)
    58.1%
  1. Tana64

Tana64 Sandwich Man

I tend to think of raids as having 20+ 'party' members; I was thinking more like five. ;)

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  2. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

well everything seems scaled down since it is a sandbox, so like dungeons you may need 2 or 3 and these epic bosses would be like 5 or more, but when I say raids I mean the complexity level :p

3. Serix

Serix Void-Bound Voyager

That sounds really awesome reminds me a little bit of Dead Space 3 :metroid:

4. Change568

Change568 Space Penguin Leader

Dont really like the idea. Seems like asking for too much.........Just my opinion though.

5. Deathskull

Deathskull Phantasmal Quasar

Firstly, how would this allow trolls to grief? They would have to hope that you settled on a boss planet, which would already be an unlikely occurrence, and then they would have to put effort into triggering the planet to attack you by going into the dungeons and destroying things, much more effort than just throwing explosives everywhere.

Secondly, we don't know any extensive information about Starbound's engine so we have no idea weather this will cause lag or not.

Thirdly, if you were trying to kill the planet, why would you make it your home planet? Sounds like a very dumb idea to me.

6. Jayson

Jayson Big Damn Hero

I like the idea, but the exploring for weak points sounds like it'd be annoying after fighting a few. wouldn't it be more interesting to have to travel to the core and battle it there? possibly? but either way, very creative idea. I love it!

7. dannyboy8899

dannyboy8899 Aquatic Astronaut

:ninja:Well said!

8. thefirecrack3r

thefirecrack3r Subatomic Cosmonaut

Someone else made a living planet concept previously. I love the idea. My idea I offered to them was that the planet would appear normal, dirt, trees, animals up top. Dig down and eventually you come across fleshy dirt stuff. The more you mess with this colossus the more ticked it gets, eventually sending out immune system like attacks in the forms of specific mobs. However, you can sort of earn its trust. Not entirely though as your still a foreign body. But. Clearing out infected areas or killing parasite mobs can sway the creatures attention off of you. This happens with types of jellyfish that have tiny snails and crabs who burrow in their body. The snails and crabs eat off parasites or dying flesh which tells the bodies immune system to leave these little invaders alone. So perhaps, these giant bosses aren't necessarily bosses unless you wanted to go after things like organs or what not. Someone also recommended that instead of digging through flesh (thus provoking the creature) you could travel through bodily passages, like veins, arteries, intestines, and other internal tunnels if you wished to not be evasive. These planets should hold great rewards even to those who do not wish to harm it. Perhaps it can regrow or produce a valuable material, mineral, or ore while its alive something. My two cents I suppose. But I like the idea and I hope you like these ones too. Also, I think it'd be cool if big organs had to be destroyed to let you crack into its skull/core, where its brain would be. Killing the brain would kill the creature for good. It'd work similarly the piece you have to destroy in dungeons, when the brain goes down, loot is dropped and any thing the planet previously produces stops regrowing. The planet essentially turns into a normal planet. But it'd be cool if the flesh parts rotted.

ZobmieRules, dannyboy8899 and Foxling like this.
  9. Foxling

Foxling Void-Bound Voyager

oooo I like the spin you've put on this idea. +10 Paragon points for you.

On top of having a choice to make (which is the foundation of a great sandbox game), I also like the idea of traveling through the planet Fantastic Voyage style. The idea of living with the planet to serve each others interests forming a symbiosis is just plain awesome and is a great example of why Sci-Fi is so cool.

This has my full support! :up:

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  10. Meewosh

Meewosh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I imagine seeing a God Of War planet sized boss in starbound.... wait.... WAAAAIIITTT.... WWAAAAAAITTTT!!.... oh God nevermind

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  11. echiro-oda-fan

echiro-oda-fan Title Not Found

Am I the only person who yelled "OMG DEATHSTAR" when they first saw this thread? If I was I feel ashamed that that was the nerdiest thing to come to mind.

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  12. Frodew

Frodew Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not all weapons and items are randomly generated, in past updates Tiy and other developers have mentioned craftable items (which you probably know) but also something like 100's of unique weapons.

13. Infinium

Infinium Void-Bound Voyager

So you're asking for something like the Gohma Vlitra to show up?
    [​IMG]
    We're screwed, but at the same time, It'l be absolutely awsome.
    I hope that this is implemented.

14. warlava50

warlava50 Subatomic Cosmonaut

my way of destroying the brain would be I would drop a like,a monster that's made of lava in its ear and melt the brain

15. Liammman

Liammman Astral Cartographer

I love this idea soooo much but im just going to say, this should not be every planet it should be pretty rare to find a boss planet anyway great idea

Meewosh likes this.
  16. Splint Zero

Splint Zero Poptop Tamer

If you were to engage in combat with such a monstrous creature, I think while the fight is going on you shouldn't be able to beam back up so you can't cheese your way through it.

Tana64 likes this.
  17. Tana64

Tana64 Sandwich Man

And here I was thinking me/my friends where the only ones who cheesed it anywhere. BRO FIIIVE

Also yes; cheesing it mid-boss-battle is pretty poor sportsmanship. Dying? Okay; fine, but not running away to heal up then return.

18. Meewosh

I even have an idea of summoning these creatures. First you need to dig into the freakin' core of the planet and then, you'll need to like make the planet angry by putting the nature of it into the lava and it's gonna like craze it out and BOOM the planet just summons a giant monster that will try to kill you AND your ship (so you will have SOME little time to heal or attack) and if you manage to kill it then you get legendary items (like 3 of them or so) and alot of pixels.

That's a very good idea though, because it's just..... INSANE!.... aand... it would be very fun. :DD:DD:DD:DD:DD

19. warlava50

warlava50 Subatomic Cosmonaut

it would be great if in the core of the planet there was all these orbs(usally a cluster of the specific type of orb)and you can harvest them(thus removing some of that element from the planet)or add some more(thus adding some of that elment to the planet)maybe you can even put to of them together in some kind of,orb station and make a new type!

earth orb-harvested:makes mountains shorter
    added:makes mountains taller

water orb-harvested:makes oceans and lakes smaller
    added:makes them bigger

air orb-harvested:less windy
    added:windier

fire orb-don't really know.

now time for the c-c-c-combos!

desert orb-water orb+earth orb= desert orb
    harvested:more floods and lakes and less deserts and earthquakes
    added:less floods and lakes but more earthquakes and deserts

storm orb-water orb+air orb=storm orb
    harvested:less weather and drier
    added:more weather and wetter

volcano orb-fire orb+earth orb=volcano orb
    harvested:less volcanoes and more earthquakes
    added:more volcanoes and less earthquakes

also if you destroy all the orbs,a orb will appear called the death orb-when appears:no trees,alot less monster which are level 10(kangaroo rat-like monsters(I say that because kangaroo rats can survive without water),planet turns level ten,and no water.

I wonder if anyone else has more suggestions.*winks*

20. Meewosh

I've got an Apoca-Orb: Harvested - The Planet is regenerating itself (it's like if you destroy some dirt and cobblestone or anything that this planet naturally had, it's gonna just be there again in some time :p)
    added - The planet is gonna start colapsing and the magma is gonna like..... get out of the ground and the planet most likely turns red and all that stuff and it's just destroying itself and also these orbs are most common on volcano biomes.