Platform woes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Feb 1, 2019.

1. ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

So, I got a coupon in my steam account for this game, which was pretty nice. Just one problem... this game is only available on Windows for Steam. I run Linux.

Kind of a shame, really. This is just the kind of game that I think I'd really like. TBS strategy games are totally my jam, going all the way back to Warlords and Heroes of Might and Magic games. But sadly, gonna have to miss out on this one for now. At least until Proton figures out how to do compatibility.

I'll be keeping up with the information, though. Seems really interesting so far.

• Shubeans

Shubeans QA Wizard Chucklefish

We are working on Linux, and we hope to have it supported soon.
      We will keep everyone updated with progress on it. There are a few people dedicated to getting it working; https://www.reddit.com/r/wargroove/comments/am1wps/psa_as_of_now_wargroove_does_work_on_linux/ and you can jump on our Discord, head over to the Support channel and maybe someone in there can help too.

I must stress that Linux is not officially supported, so bugs or issues that arise we may not be able to fix straight away

Captain Rage likes this.
      • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Oh, that much I understand entirely. After all, you have to build for your target audience, and there aren't enough of us old Grognards around to be worth marketing towards. So, from a design perspective, it absolutely makes sense.

I'm not surprised the Proton crew has gotten it working already, they've got plenty of experience in making things happen. And if nothing else, if it doesn't work quite right now, I'm sure y'all will get around to Linux support, and I'll already have it in my library.

I really approve of a lot of the design choices you folks have made in the game. Looks quite interesting so far! No interest in the multiplayer aspect, just want a campaign mode and I'll be a happy fan.

• Captain Rage

Captain Rage Phantasmal Quasar

Wonderful! I'm sure that many GNU/Linux users will gladly step in and test the version for their platform and help with the bug hunting!
          Yes, so far the game actually runs surprisingly well using Proton, even on a computer below the minimum system requirements.
          Looking forward to the unofficial port and the coming updates!