Modding Discussion Player's Own Birthday

Discussion in 'Mods' started by mrobake, Apr 13, 2016.

1. mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

Hi all.
    Quick question, why does our character have no birthday and why Mayor Lewis never ask when to put our birthday in the calendar? Does CA ever addressed this issue?

Any mod that can fix this issue? What do you expect from your birthday? I hope its different that just receiving gifts in your mail box, as it will be no more special than the festival of Feast of the Winterstar.

Maybe something like getting something special from your crush (the marriageable single with the highest heart relationship). Like from mere mail, special visits, a hug, and at highest point of relationship, getting a peck on cheek. That would be the sweetest birthday gift!

Or maybe get our parent shows up to visit us. That would be most fantastic gift!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    • KorvasTerindar

KorvasTerindar Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with this, I was a little confused that there was no birthday for the player in the game and I think it would be great if one were added. Also, visits from parents would be an awesome addition, maybe have a guest bedroom be an addition to the house that players can build.

• Sephrenea

Sephrenea Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I didn't even realize that the birthday didn't show up until now. This really should be a part of the game.

And I'd love to have a guest bedroom for "family" to visit. That would be so cute.

Cosmic Yogurt and mrobake like this.
        • KorvasTerindar

KorvasTerindar Void-Bound Voyager

I'd also love it if family had more reactions to what I am doing with my life. I get married and they don't show up at my wedding or even send me a post card? Um, hello? Your son just got married, where the hell are you guys?

Davrial, Androxilogin, Cemo and 8 others like this.
          • SKKN

SKKN Big Damn Hero

Maybe they disapprove of your life choices. Working as a farmer and marrying a small town girl that probably will never amount to anything in their life aside from being a stay at home wife. LOL

• Ribbonain

Ribbonain Pangalactic Porcupine

I would love to see letters from my parents saying congrats and happy birthday maybe even some thing about grand kids lol. :3

xbambix and mrobake like this.
              • 1wolffan

1wolffan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah... Even just a letter from your folks with a decent gift/cash amount could satisfy the event.

But not until your second year. Wouldn't want someone saying "Oh clearly my day is 1st of Spring!" and get said decent gift right away. Lore-wise? Maybe they'd still be in shock from the fact that you inherited your old grandpa's farm, and actually moved there so suddenly.

P.S. Honestly, a few other interactions based on events could be done this way too. New Pet, Married, Kids, Maxed out various skills, etc. This would imply that you are keeping in touch with them somehow, and that they are following your progression. :3

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Anniversary gifts and events would be nice too.

• ikr i want it too
                    it would be so cool

• DarkLight65

DarkLight65 Void-Bound Voyager

I see some issues with letting you choose the day of your birthday, for example choosing the same day that an event or someone else's birthday takes place, and telling the player they cannot chose specific days may defeat the purpose of being able to chose in the first place. This is only a problem if you want your birthday to be more than just getting stuff in the mail though.

• LuthienNightwolf

Maybe the player's birthday is the same date in everyone's game, rather than choosing it yourself? Could just be Spring 1, since that's the day you arrive in the valley. (Well, you arrive the day before but it's definitely not winter when Robin and Louis are welcoming you so...)

• Exhibitioner

Exhibitioner And Do the MONKEY!

This sounds like something that should really be in the vanilla game without mods, maybe create a suggestion thread for this idea?

It would be nice if you were able to select your own birthday however as mentioned earlier it may require greater implementation as it may mean two events could occur on the same day. Maybe your birthday event is hosted before the other takes place on the same day, then you get the chance to go to the other event as I can recall most events last for quite a few in-game hours so you'd still have time for both.

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

You know... I think someone tech savvy enough can at least just do something simple in the meantime --

Have a UI to set up your birthday and get letters/cards in the mail for your birthday! And maybe a package!

• LuthienNightwolf

I think it'd just be easiest if it wouldn't allow you to put your birthday on the same day as an event, just to avoid any issues with cut-scenes. Unless you're just getting things in the mail, then it shouldn't matter.

• DJ_Zapple

DJ_Zapple Pangalactic Porcupine

To be fair, adding in player birthdays would require additional all coding, like to swap out NPC birthdays to other open days if you pick the same day. But I'd definitely like to see such a mod or feature, myself.

• Ribbonain

Ribbonain Pangalactic Porcupine

Or only have select few days with your birthday plus is only mail from npc's not like there going asking for presents from them. :D

• 1wolffan

1wolffan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For example, the dialog could say something like:
                                    "When were you born again?"
                                    [dialog options]
                                    1. Spring?
                                      early / middle / late
                                    2. Summer?
                                      early / middle / late
                                    3. Autumn?
                                      early / middle / late
                                    4. Winter?
                                      early / middle / late
                                    Then have pre-selected dates that fit right in with those descriptions that don't interfere with other B-days in the game?

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Months end on the 28th and damnit, I had to be born on the 29th :nurumad:.
                                      This is an awesome idea and opens up more modding potential. Custom portraits and sprites for parents and another room to decorate! I'm thinking a door with a tile action would fit this best.
                                      I know the birthday mail works simply through text. Maybe a UI to simply add text to the mail.xnb(?) on a given date, is that the kinda of thing you're saying? I'm thinking this way wouldn't exactly interfere with other birthdays or events, etc. Being that it's simply another letter in the pile. Maybe a key press menu to choose your desired date. Although it'd be nice for spouses to take notice at least.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
                                      • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Maybe its me, but I wouldnt want to have a room and beds (made in tIDE) for parent npcs, when i hated the kids room originally.

Best to make a SDV inn in the town square a bunch of us is lagging on.

Androxilogin likes this.
                                        • TheRaven81

TheRaven81 Pangalactic Porcupine

I think in the last few Harvest Moon games I played, the game had a set date for the player's birthday, one that didn't interfere with anything in any of the seasons(I think it was the 14th in HM64), and it just asked you to pick which season you were born in. Then your birthday was on that day in the season you picked.

xbambix and LuthienNightwolf like this.