1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Pocket Dimensions 1.2.0

Follow in the footsteps of the Ancients ... make your own pocket dimension!

1. rl.starbound

rl.starbound Phantasmal Quasar

rl.starbound submitted a new mod:

Pocket Dimensions - Follow in the footsteps of the Ancients ... make your own pocket dimension!

Read more about this mod...

2. Ashrak

Ashrak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just came back to Starbound after a long while and one thing that i liked is the mod to build an entire new ship. But a Pocket Dimension is probably even better. I just have one question: if someone stumbles into my Pocket Dimension, can he modify/destroys it, or are i am safe?

3. rl.starbound

Pocket dimensions are shared within a universe, so for multiplayer, that means they're shared on the server. Anyone who finds a given pocket dimension can alter the things in it just like on a planet. I left this threat in because I liked the idea that there was a little risk in using pocket dimensions. That said, there are 1 quintillion possible pocket dimensions. Putting aside admin shenanigans (if you don't trust the admins on a server, then you're already screwed) the probability of someone randomly stumbling upon your dimension is infinitesimally small. The biggest danger of someone hostile finding your dimension is if they find your tesseract lens and use it and/or write down your dimensional number to use with their own tesseract lens. The best advice is to keep your tesseract lens someplace safe, like your ship, and only allow trusted people to have access to it.

If you're really worried about griefers tearing down your base, I recommend using one of the available shield mods, such as Field Generators by Pilchenstein, to shield your buildings. You can also combine that with another mod, like my Keypad Lock (or the new 1.4 vanilla keypad), to create a shielded locked room around the pocket dimension spawn point, to prevent hostiles from entering your pocket dimension.

Ashrak likes this.
  4. Ashrak

I start really liking this mod, but i think you can still improve it. How about if you could create your own sun in the pocket dimension and assign a biome type to it? Mostly because of the background, so that windows would also have a certain benefit. Or does it already exist and I just overlooked something?

5. rl.starbound

My intent with these pocket dimensions is that these spaces aren't worlds with biomes, but rather artificial constructs, so I don't intend to introduce biomes, suns, or times or day into these. That said, I do agree that some background would be nice. I had wanted to make a grid pattern background similar to the borders, but I wasn't having any luck creating something I liked. However, I'm pretty happy with one that i made last night, so I'll push out an update with it soon. Once installed, the update should automatically replace all of the plain black backgrounds in any dimensions you already created with the grid background.

6. rl.starbound

7. Ashrak

That was a helpful advice. I just picked up the Force Field Generator from Pilchenstein and placed it into a locked, visible chamber above the the Spawn Zone (it also looks nice). Then i combined it with Door Locks 2, a mod that also introduces Security Cards... very useful also for rp-stuff.