1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Sign and Pump Sign Wiring Setup Guide

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sir741, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Sir741

Sir741 Void-Bound Voyager

Here is a guide for wiring the Power Sign and Pump Sign to a console or switch so it doesn't act like a button.

SHORT VERSION AT THE VERY BOTTOM
    These items are not obtainable in normal game, and are only found during the main quest storyline, in which the player only needs to activate them. Thus, these signs are triggered by a change of power output, but will not revert to the "Off" display when the power output is severed.

To set it up, you'll need
    • A toggle output, such as a lever, switch, or console
    • A XOR Switch
    • A NOT Switch
    • A DELAY Gate
    What are these?
    A toggle output gives off a current until it has been deactivated. A XOR switch will only emit an output when it has one input on, and the other input off. A NOT switch reversed/inverts the current - an 'on' input will output as 'off' and vice versa. A DELAY Gate accepts an input, waits 0.5 seconds, and emits an output.

Logic
    These signs require a new input to change their display, meaning turning a console on will change it's input but when the console is toggled off it requires another input to swap the display back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. Hook up your console to the DELAY Gate and to the NOT Switch inputs
    2. Wire the DELAY Gate output to the top XOR Input, and the NOT Switch output to the bottom XOR Input
    a. Suppose the console is set to off. The NOT Switch reverses the input, setting the top XOR input to on
    b. The Delay Gate isn't getting a signal, and thus leaving the bottom XOR to off
    c. With the top input on, and the bottom input off, the XOR outputs a signal
    d. Activating the console; the NOT Switch again reverses and set the top input to off. This turns the XOR Input off. The Delay Gate is, however, activated and sets off a signal 0.5 seconds later, powering the XOR bottom input to on. With the top off, and the bottom on, the XOR reactivates to on
    3. Link the XOR Outputs to the Power/Pump Sign
    4. Tada! An indescribable horror. If by some stroke of misfortune and you have the sign reversed (EG Console on, sign off,) attach the sign to a button. Activate the console, and hit the button before 0.5 seconds has elapsed to reset the sign.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tl;dr
    Attach console to NOT and DELAY inputs. Attach NOT and DELAY outputs to separate XOR Inputs. Attach XOR output to Sign Input

Daikon Ocelot and Bndktk like this.
  2. Bndktk

Bndktk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great guide, very clear and simple to understand, thanks for that! I'm not very good at wiring and was ever frustrated that I couldn't figure out how to use the pump sign, but no more!

3. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I am not really good at this kind of thing, but this tutorial really helps me a lot. I believe it took you so much time to make this tutorial, therefore it deserves to be appreciated. Thumbs up!