Price on the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JBob, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Rafasmeers

Rafasmeers Subatomic Cosmonaut

No Problem ,
    if you feel bad , You would simply choose a higher value.( That would come with rewards )
    ( As in Starbound )

• DontheDon

DontheDon Void-Bound Voyager

I would love CA to at least do some time of preorder like starbound, Only because I personally wouldnt mind throwing more money towards this game. Dont get me wrong, I'm cheap and dont have much to spend, most of the time I try to buy used for my console/handheld games, but this game is going to be very special, and I feel like most of the crap at 50$-60$ won't even equal to half of the enjoyment I feel like I'll get from this game. Personally I would like to see this game at $20, because I think that is a very fair price for it on Steam, But with just CA making it, he could still do well at $10-15. Either way, Pre-Order. Thats all I'm getting at CA :)

• Sunako_Kirishiki

Sunako_Kirishiki Subatomic Cosmonaut

The starbound tiers where very stupid, i did not like any but the gun and hat one, but those are outrageously priced. 15$ tier was the only logical choice

• Sunako_Kirishiki

Ya im dirt poor as well, but still yet they deserve more. and Evangelion Rules

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Well, they did give you the option to pay whatever amount you wanted, as long as it's above $15.

And Eva does rule, great anime. For the record, what anime is your profile pic from?

• Sunako_Kirishiki

Shiki; one of my favorites =)

And who would pay more than the minimum? its not logical, they should have raised the minimum or made the tiers worth something.

• Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

People that want to support the developers, and help the game grow. Donating is something a lot of people do in order to help out the community, it's perfectly logical.

Wolfchops and LastDay like this.
                • Sunako_Kirishiki

i want to help the game; but i want to get more than someone who paid less than me its just dumb to pay more and get equal to what the person who paid less has

• Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

Why is that dumb? You don't need a reward for donating, you should be happy with knowing that you helped the devs make the game.

DapperPessimist likes this.
                    • Sunako_Kirishiki

We are not all goody 2-shoes kinda people lol. its natural to expect more if you pay more, why buy a Expensive German car when you can buy a cheap american or Chinese car ? you buy an expensive one because you want something better

• Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

First, you're getting a discount if you buy pixel tier. Tiy said before the pre-order started that the base tier would actually be lower than the retail price of the full game.
                        Second, the badges that people get for giving more money are donor badges. We get badges for giving more money than we have to. The rewards are just a marketing ploy to get people to pay more, it's the only way to make the system work.
                        You can get the game for less than it's going to sell for when it's released. Does that really put you in any position to complain?

• Sunako_Kirishiki

im saying i want to pay more; im not complaining that its expensive what are you talking about? im saying they should make worth the money tier bonuses , because the pixel tier is the best currently price:content ration

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Honestly, it just looks like you're complaining over nothing.

LastDay and Syris like this.
                            • Sunako_Kirishiki

There was just no real reason to go for anything but pixel tier, that is all i am saying

• Saber Cherry

Saber Cherry Big Damn Hero

I think you are misunderstanding the concept of donating. There's no real reason to donate blood to hospitals, or donate food to homeless shelters. And donating more does not get you more, it leaves you with less. You donate because it is a cause you believe in - it's fundamentally different than trade and commerce.

Starbound is slightly different. Most donations will never benefit you in any way. But with Starbound, the money will probably increase the quality of the final product and get it to you sooner, so there actually is a benefit in donating. The power of a single donation is weak, like the power of a single vote in an election, but in each case, there's still a benefit.

Back on topic, I would pay as much for Stardew Valley as I have for Harvest Moon games in the past. I don't really understand why people tend to demand that indy games be priced at such absurdly low levels, while accepting the pricing of big studio games (which often have 12 hours of gameplay) at $60+.

Syris likes this.
                                • Sunako_Kirishiki

i would prefer this game to be 60$ for pixel tier; and than up but i would expect the higher priced tiers to have a benefit which is what these "kick starter" style pre orders are made for. Like perhaps you get a t shirt, or a hand written thankyou. perhaps a special item. and i dislike thousands of dollars for a gun

• Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

There are reasons it's not a t-shirt or special item. First, t-shirts have to be paid for, which would come out of the money they got from the pre-order. Second, giving people exclusive in-game items is against their design philosophy.

• Sunako_Kirishiki

that being said do you not understand my point? compare this to every other kick starter project

• T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

Any video game in the $15 range is going to triple-to-quintuple my chance of buying just because it's $15 or less. $20 has that ominous tone, my Nissan D21 needs that much fuel a week for work and errands. Blood Dragon, the DLC/Expansion of Far Cry 3, is at $15 and it's gonna be an easy sale for me. Anything in that price range is an easy sale, but anything over I have to research it 10x as much and wait a few weeks minimum. Something about $15 makes a game (and I hate using this word) accessible.

Mind you I'm one of those guys who picks a game he wants and actually waits for it to go on Steam sale or other cheap disc sale on Amazon. Mirror's Edge, a game I find worth $40, I picked it up at $10. Wanted to try Red Faction Armageddon sometime, low priority really, and caught the THQ 'going out of business' sales on Humble Bundle and Steam. $15 for a brand new game feels to me like CA would net more money overall by making the game so much cheaper. Most of the time you see people angry at a game is because it's mediocre and $60. But a decent or good game at $15, no comment because they are busy playing their good purchase.

• Sunako_Kirishiki

well it is definitely a good purchase, and ya i understand money is tight; i currently am jobless