Price on the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JBob, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

Wait, if you're jobless, why would you want the price to be higher?

• Sunako_Kirishiki

Sunako_Kirishiki Subatomic Cosmonaut

Because regardless of my condition the developers deserve money for there work and alot of it. they should make lots of money and be able to provide for us with much new content.

• Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

...Then why are you complaining about not getting anything for giving more?

LastDay likes this.
        • Sunako_Kirishiki

Because don't you believe those who give more should get more?

• T-Rex

T-Rex Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This is different on terraria don't compare the prize, Terraria is 2D game this is not so i'm guessing way more, and way more than Starbound (final prize) and we might wait 1 more year before this comes out

• Sunako_Kirishiki

what are you talking about? and yes this is a discussion about starbound which is a game jsut like terraria but with more content please inform yourself by reading previous messages

• Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

wha......? Are they giving badges left and right out now?
                Could you... please rephrase that? I'm trying to understand what you're saying but... it seems kind of... you know, controversial?

Sunako_Kirishiki likes this.
                • Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

This is a 2D game too, what are you smoking? The fact that it's not a sidescroller like terraria doesn't change the fact that it's 2D.

Also, Sunako_Kirishiki... so many oxymoron's... you keep contradicting yourself in practically every one of your posts. It makes my head hurt.

• T-Rex

T-Rex Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Oh yea my bad about that i meant this is not sidescroller

• Sunako_Kirishiki

how so?

• WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's likely that the amount will be between 9.99 - 19.99 in the US.

Games of this caliber will still be making money long after release. :)

• Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

This game looks to be worth around $15.00 USD or so; perhaps up to 20 if the content and depth are more than we have guessed from the revealed info thus far.

• deadmatters

deadmatters Void-Bound Voyager

well I don't really mind if it costs 10, 15 or even 25$
                            would buy it anyway, because todays games are kinda empty and this game would fill those chasms created by the gaming industry :D

• Battlemage

Battlemage Void-Bound Voyager

I wouldn't think twice about paying $20 for this game. Even $25 or $30 would not be out of the question. I would like to see more than we have, but I get the feeling with the success of the Starbound 'kickstarter preorder' we might see one for Stardew Valley on a smaller scale. Considering I have to go to handheld systems for new HM games these days (my wrists and neck hate handhelds; at least the 3DS XL isn't so bad) I cannot wait for this to hit for PC. Bonus that they had the courage to allow same-sex pairings, something we will likely never see in an HM game.

Other than that can't wait, edge of seat, etc etc.

• FrostyWolf

FrostyWolf Void-Bound Voyager

Sunako_Kirishiki, I agree with you. I would have gladly paid more for the game (in fact, I bought 8 copies just to help support Tiy, and decided to use them as gifts). The Tiers were crappy, and there wasn't a point in getting anything more then pixel. I "donated" more money by getting pixel tier over and over. I call that "donating" because the game is digitally distributed, it costs them nothing more to give me one copy or a hundred copies. Like you, I really don't see a point in getting a higher tier for a forum badge, there just wasn't enough rewards to warrant upgrading to a different tier. They could have easily put digital rewards on the tiers or priced them higher, and no cost to them, for those that seem to be arguing they aren't giving rewards because it cost more money.

• Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I'll be honest - I would prefer the price to be low while providing some profit for the dev. Sstandard pricing like - for example - 10$, should do it, though I don't know what kinds of expenses were involved. Starbound set basic pre-order at 15$ and while it's very possible they didn't get rich on it, I suspect it wasn't generous sale below the costs, especially with whole team of people working on it daily.

Yes, I know, both games deserve better etc - but unlike many of the posters here, proudly claiming how much more the game is worth, how it would be a steal to sell it for less and how bad they would think it would be for their sense of justice, I'd like to think about those who are in worse financial situation.

Paying great prices may be all fine for you, this or that random person, but no matter if you're cozy teen parents pay most of the bills of, you just got good employment, or you want to show off your determination and devotion despite crappy situation (which some could call immature, but that's not my call) - I personally know of helluva lot of people nowadays, in many countries, that would consider even such money as suggested by some here a difference between their children having nothing to eat and being able to go on for a week or two longer.

It's important to point out I am not right now talking about completely homeless and penny-less - just those who have families to support so every month they come exactly even, or are from countries with both prices and pay being lower, which means that the exchange rate for dollars would mean them spending small fortunes.

I'd say they should have a chance to afford the game too - and I don't know why those willing to pay much more should have an issue with it. Making pre-order/retail buy tiers, a'la - not to look far - Starbound with some token gifts of appreciation seems to work fine. So, as admirable it is to think of developer's profit - think also of others a bit. And hope for purchase tiers - that way you both will be able to pay what you believe the game deserves as well as allow others to do it more cheaply - which in the end should bring maximal profit to the developer while achieving maximal number of legally sold copies and happy customers.

• Cassie

Cassie Phantasmal Quasar

I'd like to see it sell at maybe 15-20.
                                    That's reasonable in my opinion~

• Saber Cherry

Saber Cherry Big Damn Hero

Those people should not be buying video games, and are unlikely to own computers. They should be playing with their kids. There are plenty of ways to have fun that don't require someone else to manufacture entertainment for you.

deadmatters likes this.
                                      • Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Wrong on the first claim. Often price of hardware is tailored to the economy of the country (of course, all in bounds of margin of attaining profit - but experience makes me suspect that said margin is not that small), as are prices of physical copies of games sold in shops. With online distribution, it's not always a case.

Other claims are obviously right and apply to every family everywhere. Which I still believe doesn't change even a single thing in what I wrote - there's no good reason for kicking the price up for several devotees or folks with decent amount of savings/living on account of someone else, while alternative of, for example, purchase tiers would allow both those who want to pay more and those who would like to acquire the game legally but some of the prices suggested here may be quite too high to get a game in a manageable fashion.

• iKensakuT

iKensakuT Void-Bound Voyager

On the livestream, one of the devs said 10-15 dollars.