Project Research - Have your say

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flapdoddle, Sep 11, 2014.

1. NLZ

NLZ Void-Bound Voyager

For the Youtube list I would recommend MrBtongue. He really focuses on what makes games interesting and enjoyable.

• bdo7

bdo7 Space Hobo

Movie: Cast a Deadly Spell

A surly, fedora-wearing gumshoe actually named H.P. Lovecraft (Fred Ward!) struggles against dark forces beyond his ability to comprehend. Set in the 40s, not the 20s, but it's a good dose of:

Noir
      Dark humor
      Occult creeping into everyday life
      Lovecraft mythos
      a young Julianne Moore at the beginning of her career (I'm just sayin'...)

Game: Grim Fandango

... I honestly shouldn't have to explain what Grim Fandango is, but just in case... it's Tim Schaefer's masterpiece, set in a film-noir version of the Mexican Underworld (!) and bristling with clever puzzles and dialog. I feel it would be an invaluable resource for anyone wanting to develop a supernatural, noir-themed video game, because it was the first and best of the genre.

Thanks for the hard work!

P.S. I had links for both titles, but the forum wouldn't let me post them, since this is my first post. Oh well, Google is your friend!

• redwarp

redwarp Space Spelunker

Games :
        - Prisoner of Ice - A point & click set in the Cthulhuian mythology
        - Fallen london - A weird early access Game

Comics :
        - Les sentinelles - A Franco-Belgian comic set during the first world war, with some kind of weird and dark super heroes

Books :
        - The magicians - A book (series of book actually) from Lev Grossman that is a modern, more adult and relevant book about magic. Well written and appealing, might give some good ideas for a solid magical background.

• Zalbag

Zalbag Intergalactic Tourist

I was really hoping someone would mention this.

• Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

Thanks for the great tips everyone, what awesome taste you have. 8)

- Carnivàle - Meant to give it a watch in relation to Witchmarsh's circus area, which we've almost finished writing.
            - The King in Yellow - Will check it out. :)
            - Dark Corners of the Earth - I remember really enjoying this despite it being overloaded with bugs. The story definitely saved it.

I thought you were going to say Wanderlust! Not played that one, Arkham Horror is intense though. :O

Will continue checking your suggestions out!

Leth likes this.
            • Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Congrats on the forum :metroid:

• Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Only one recommendation from me. A Russian, or better -Soviet book: "The Master and Margarita". I'm pretty sure that you will find one thing or another in there that will catch your eye. The characters and the atmosphere are simply uncontested.

• Glasny44

Glasny44 Space Spelunker

Heya,
                  a few classic movies that might interest you :
                  + The untouchables (about Al Capone and Eliot Ness) -

+ The cotton club (Coppola movie with very awesome atmosphere) -

Others, imo less related to witchmarsh:
                  + Miller's crossing - Joel Coen
                  + Of mice and men - Gary Sinise (from Steinbeck's novel - imo the book is MUCH better than the movie but the movie is still pretty good)
                  + Road to perdition - Sam Mendes

Can't think of anything else right now, will post again when i do :)

EDIT: Bioshock takes place around the same period. Completely different kind of game, but very cool

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
                  • Riobux

Riobux Void-Bound Voyager

Not really literature, but if you plan to put some mysteries into the game for the player to play "who-dun-it" along with the quest (perhaps a quest or two only achievable by the player working the mystery out themselves), I'd recommend checking out Knox's Ten Commandments (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FairPlayWhodunnit) as it can help people work out the mystery themselves without feeling the mystery is unfair. Although it may be a long shot, I'll admit, as I don't know if you're planning to focus entirely on combat/exploration or if you're planning to include other methods to deal with confrontations (e.g. puzzles, working out a mystery, talking your way out of there, etc).

• liero120

liero120 Space Spelunker

I think the book series "Hard Magic the Grimnoire Chronicles" by Larry Corriea might be up your guys alley. Its a mix of old school 1920's investigation feel with some magic/mutant powers mixed into it. Lovecraft reader recommendations led me to read this series. I'd recommend you folks take a look into it.

For the games category I would add the following board games if you find them relevant: "Mansions of Madness" and "Arkham Horror". Story line is pure Lovecraft, game mechanics are solid and it has the feel/style your looking for.

Ill post more references as I get them.

• Alimouse

Alimouse Space Hobo

There's an Australian tv series called "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" which is set in the late 1920s. It's about an amateur detective called Miss Phyrne Fisher who lives in Melbourne, Australia. She often finds herself involved in murder mysteries (think Poirot and Miss Marple), particularly ones being worked on by Inspector Jack Robinson. Miss Fisher is aided by her maid Dot and two gruff working-class men (Bert and Cec), and Inspector Robinson is accompanied by Constable Hugh Collins. The show is visually stunning. The costumes are to die for. It's not American but it's certainly worth watching for the aesthetics, and the episodes are generally fun and explore different sections of society. There's even some supernatural elements. The show is based on a series of books. I haven't read them but I have thoroughly enjoyed the TV series.

• smerlus

smerlus Space Hobo

Games:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: for characters, dialogue and horror elements.
                          Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth: Its been mentioned here before but a terrific Lovecraftian game.

Movies:

In the Mouth of Madness: A heavy lovecraft inspired movie with some investigation plot
                          Dagon: Lovecraft movie

Books:

Earthdawn: This is a pen and paper RPG with a heavy horror influence especially in regards to horrors from another dimension, creatures that would rather drive people insane/corrupt them rather than outright kill them and it had unique items that would level up if certain tasks were complete or research was done.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
                          • fishoak

fishoak Master Chief

I'll post a more expanded list later, but The Southern Reach Trilogy is a fantastic cosmic horror/adventure, one of the best works by Vandermeer. He's able to probe into worldbuilding and certain questions without having to answer himself. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is another good cosmic horror. I'd also check out Peaky Blinders if you haven't already, not just for the great 1919 set and atmosphere, but for the dialogue and pacing.

• The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Music, I dont see any music on this list!
                              Jazz from that time is oviously be a must and should not need to be mentioned, but there was a few other interesting trends to hear.
                              In classical music, Erik Satie (French) and Alexander Scriabin (Russian) are starting to take the scene from other german compositors. I dont know Alexeander much, but Erik's got those very eery, calm or odd scores that could be very inspiring for the game.
                              It is also the time where country music started to evolve (Jimmie Rodgers). Very close to blues in some cases, each one inspiring the other. Anything happening in a more rural environment should have that kind of sounds as background.

And last not least, while not completly related to music itself, the jewel that is the bizzare et étrange of the circus of that time cannot be ignored. I dont have any time related material to propose here, but to remain about the music, I can still throw the name "Circus Contraption", a modern american travelling circus.

• Tsuruda

Tsuruda Title Not Found

Like previously stated by redwarp, I suggest "Fallen London". It's a free to play browser game with really great writing, a myriad of storylines, mysterious and charismatic characters in every corner, eldritch horror mixed with a dark dubious humor and questionable morals. In the same setting there is "Sunless Sea" that got out of early access recently, but focusing on the life of seafarers in the horribly hostile sea around Fallen London and the terrors hiding just beneath the waves.
                                Both games have a victorian instead of a jazz era style, but the lovecraftian feel and atmosphere are really immersive and compelling. I really think you should play this.

• Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! Research time is now over, but we'll be continuing to work our way through your suggestions throughout the rest of development. :)

Captain Rage and Tsuruda like this.
                                  • ProfessorDetective

ProfessorDetective Space Hobo

If I may add two more to the pile, specifically some modern audio dramas:

'The Thrilling Adventure Hour: Beyond Belief': Take Nick and Nora from 'The Thin Man' make them amateur occultists and you get Frank (Paul F. Tompkins) & Sadie (Paget Brewster) Doyle: the Toast of the Upper Crust, Headliners on the Society Pages, and, oh yes, they see ghosts. One of the best takes on Horror Comedy out there. Hell, one episode (When Cthulu Cthalls) is about a pair of Cultists going door-to-door like Jehova's Witnesses looking for converts before the Stars Come Right Again.

Dark Adventure Radio Theater: Cthulhu played straight. Predominantly adaptations of the Lovecraft canon (with an original spinoff story starring Inspector Lagrasse from The Call of Cthulu, a Poe story, a Dickens pastiche, and two adaptations of campaigns from Chaosium's library as outliers) done with full casts and amazing production values.