Pufferfish too difficult

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FunsizedKilljoy, May 27, 2018.

1. FunsizedKilljoy

FunsizedKilljoy Space Hobo

Does anyone else think pufferfish is way too difficult for no reward? It's nearly impossible to find, and then one of the most difficult catches. The difficulty is even more absurd considering you require two for community center and a scripted quest. I just can't see any reason why this fish is so nearly impossible to catch.

• squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

It is definitely hard to catch. On the plus side, it is a really frequent item of stock at the travelling cart, so checking that every Fri / Sun is likely to get you what you need.

WilliamZ, ladymurasaki and The | Suit like this.
      • parabolic paradise

parabolic paradise Subatomic Cosmonaut

Are you using a Trap Bobber? I find most fish aren't that tricky to catch with a Trap Bobber.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

You can always use the easier fishing mod too...

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I've also developed a Content Patcher version called Lazy Fish so you don't have to go editing XNB files. The net effect is going to be similar, however the methodology is a bit cleaner, especially if you are already using SMAPI.

Dakmordian and margotbean like this.
            • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I don't use SMAPI, all the mods I use are what would be *XNB mods*, how would Content Patcher work when all the mods are XNB mods?

I will say that even WITH the easier fishing mod the pufferfish is a pain to reel in!

blind3rdeye likes this.
              • Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

Funny you should specifically mention the pufferfish as I chose it for the thumbnail of my Stardew Valley fishing tutorial.

Here's a few bullet points.

• You want to level up your fishing skill and upgrade your rod. Every upgrade increases the fishing bar size and reduces the evasiveness of the fish.
                • You want to use a trap bobber when going for hard fish.
                • You want to train against difficult fish to get used to catching difficult fish. The puffer is tough but not the hardest. Train against even harder fish and the puffer will still be difficult but manageable.
                • Towards the end of the video I select a few fish of increasing difficulty to train against. Winter is a good time for getting good at fishing as the difficult Lingcod and Sturgeon are both available.
                I must also say that I think this guide is possibly the best fishing tutorial on YouTube as most other guides mainly talk about where to catch fish, where are the good fishing spots, where are the legendary fish. They don't really talk about how to master the fishing minigame.

parabolic paradise likes this.
                • Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found the easy fishing mod broke other things. I went through an entire game never being able to find a large mouthed Bass and it was required for a Sam heart level quest. Eventually in like year 3 I found one in a garbage can

Without the mod, however I agree some fish are ridiculously difficult, Puffer, Ice Pip, Lava Eel, winter legend and that includes level ten skill iridium rod, bobbers, bait and eating items that give a bonus to fishing

• Fuzzyman

Another thing I found that helps is to not have things like email running in the background. That causes issues too, particularly with the difficult fish. Sometimes in the middle of catching a difficult fish it will switch to email for no apparent reason and then the fish escapes in the time I can pull up the SDV window. That's particularly an issue with multiplayer vs single player.

Granted that's me and my health problems, but it's an insurmountable issue since my nerve damage is not going to heal. That's part of the reason I'd like if there was a way to put a normal food bonus onto an article of clothing, maybe some combined quest involving the hat mouse, or is it a cat? I don't remember I never go down there, and the wizard. That way those of us who have issues with this or that skill can have a work around without resorting to mods. I generally don't trust mods for 2 reasons. 1: Usually they are so overpowered that they simply skip something effectively IMO making it a cheat which if a game is so bad that you need a cheat then it wasn't worth buying. Or 2: Malware.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
                      Faeryheart likes this.
                    • Git Gud Fox

I also tend to avoid using mods because I like to play the game in its organic state.

One of my favorite PC games is MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries, and you get it legitimately free as the publisher is permitting it, but it is a revised version with like 30 mechs added and a whole bunch of weapons that didn't exist in the base game. I'm the guy who will try to find all the files and delete them to revert the game back to its vanilla state.

Same with World of Warcraft, I've played it for like 14 years, and I have used 2 or 3 mods throughout its lifetime.

Fuzzyman likes this.
                      • ShneekeyTheLost

You convert your XNB mods to Content Patcher mods, use SMAPI, and not cause severe instability and loss of any and all mods the moment the instance updates?

• ladymurasaki

ladymurasaki Star Wrangler

I've played for 14-1/2 and I use like 20 addons! lmao. Autobar is essential. So is Arkinventory and Dominos. None of that changes the game, just the ease of presentation of the info.

I would never use mods on SDV tho. Not that I even can since I'm on Switch.

• Git Gud Fox

Lol, I've never even heard of those mods. That's how much I know about mods.

I use the pet breed mods to see the breeds of pets.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

The mods I've got now are all I intend to use, so not sure how effective using SMAPI would be. Everything's just flavor (barring the easier fishing mod) and since the last official update was a year ago (and I'm not playing the beta)...

Regarding the pufferfish being too difficult, it's tough, but I have found that the super cucumber is tougher...

• ShneekeyTheLost

When the game finally launches an official 1.3 release, you're probably going to have to convert to Content Patcher, since everyone has been converting over from XNB to CP, and a good chunk of them won't be compatible anymore. But hey, it's real simple, and it'll be even more 'fire and forget' than your current method.

* Download and install SMAPI from the official website
                                * Download Content Patcher and unzip into the Mods folder that SMAPI should have created.
                                * Check the list of updates and conversions, download the appropriate conversions, and unzip to the Mods folder.
                                * If there is an XNB edit you use that hasn't been updated/converted yet, either drop a request in the migration thread or just drop me a note directly and I'll bang it out for you in no time flat. However, most of the xnb edits so far have been updated and converted, and since you don't use many, odds are pretty high they've already been converted, so once the official release comes out, you'll be ready.

As an additional advantage, you won't have to worry about verifying file integrity anymore because all the content is in the mods folder instead of directly modified in the Content folder. And since everything is going in the Mods folder, you'll know exactly what you have done to the game, and can undo it as easily as moving the folder out of the Mods folder. And you won't have to worry about auto-updating wrecking your setup either.

I would also put the Lava Eel as more difficult as well, and a few others too.

• parabolic paradise

parabolic paradise Subatomic Cosmonaut

Lava Eel, Octopus, Lingcod...there's a few non-legend fish that are more annoying to me than the Pufferfish, yeah. The Lava Eel is my personal least favorite in that regard due to all the trash you'll fish up between attempts. At least all the easy Refined Quartz later makes up for the short-term aggravation.

Fuzzyman likes this.
                                  • Dakmordian

Dakmordian Phantasmal Quasar

I was fortunate enough to catch all the fish but Legend with the basic rod but.. I wound up giving up and getting the Iridium Rod plus Trap Bobber. I eventually got it, but every time after I just say "nope" and use a fishing mod. Lazy Fish is a gods-send. Some of the fish are just absurdly hard to find or needlessly difficult to catch in vanilla.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I once got two Lava Eel in a row. Didn't realize at the time how rare that is.

Too bad we don't have any way to visit somebody who can convert a fish into a picture you can hang on the wall. That would be great for those of us who revel in the fishing aspects of SDV.

• Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

I feel like people are forgetting that you're not supposed to catch every single fish from the very beginning.
                                        I mean if you do, what's the point of buying better rods, using tackles and leveling up your fishing skill?
                                        You need to invest in farming by buying seeds, watering them and wait for them to grow, why shouldn't you invest in fishing too?
                                        And personally I enjoy the fishing game, it's only really annoying in the beginning when the green bar is small, but after that it's more fun.
                                        Also, sdv is an endless game, so there's no hurry to catch all fish either.

blind3rdeye and One More Day like this.
                                        • Fuzzyman

No, if you'd read the posts, people are saying that even with a skill of 10 And an iridium rod, And tackle and bait, And eating something for a food bonus, there's a significant number of the fish that are still too difficult