1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Pets

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by royal_fish, Aug 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. royal_fish

royal_fish Phantasmal Quasar

Actually, I have 2 questions about pets:

1. I have a pet which I applied a rare damage collar to. He dies in one or two hits pretty much every time. Are pets not very effective or is it just my pet that's not very effective?

2. I have a pet healing station. When I catch a "pre-built" pet (one with an entry), I can easily heal it up when it dies. However, any randomly generated pet I catch (one that has "some indescribable horror" as its description), I cannot heal it. Nothing happens when I put it in the box and press "heal." Furthermore, they (the randomly generated ones) all seem glitched out when I select a dead one, and the sound that plays when I click the capture pod plays rapidly in succession until I put it back in my inventory/bar.

I am playing the latest GOG version of Starbound.

2. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pets are just not very effective. They're also locked at the tier you found them, so if you catch something on a tier 3 planet it's going to get wiped out quickly on tier 6 worlds.

No idea about healing procedurally generated pets.

3. royal_fish

Hmm.. that brings to mind another question: If I terraform a tier 6 planet to a jungle or something, will jungle monsters start appearing as tier 6 versions?

4. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I believe that mini biomes spawn at the same tier as the planet, so yes, I think.

You can also use the /spawnmonster command to specify a tier (ie /spawnmonster poptop 6 spawns a tier 6 poptop).

5. royal_fish

Thanks for the replies. Is there a specific place I can report the bug of being unable to heal randomly generated monsters?

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Tangentially, this gives me an idea for something to add to the wiki... charting the Tiers unique monsters can be found in, so you can go hunting for the strongest of each type. Since nominally-low-Tier biomes can appear as sub-biomes on higher-Tier worlds.

Hm. I would assume there's no reason the Capture Pods wouldn't work on the monsters in a Challenge Dungeon... right?

7. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

Monsters once were locked at the planets tier, but that is no longer the case they now follow your armor rating. The better armor you have the better the pet.

Also pets aren't useless, but they are mostly situational, meaning that you need to use a pet in the right moment. Your problem with Randomly generated monsters is weird, and I have never had that happen.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  8. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

Pets were locked at a planet's tier? I remember pets being super OP because they could level up and you were able to have more than one pet out at once. I used to run around with the pets that moved fast, jumped high, and had the "slapped" or "punch" (they didn't have a special move) attack which I found to be the best in the game. Whenever I ran across a prison on the highest tier planet they would just wipe the mobs in the whole place and they never died.

9. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah what Palicence said, im pretty sure pets stats are based on your current armor. that said, even with end-game armor most pets are still pretty garbage. :wut:

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Personally, I use this mod to make pets half-decent.

11. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

I have found that Smoglins seem fairly decent in combat when applied with a healing collar. Just don't try to fight a boss with it unless you want to give the boss some target practice, but aside from that my Smoglin seems to destroy all who approach me.

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I personally prefer large flyers. They tend to stay out of the way of enemy attacks and have a decent amount of default health, and as a result, with a healing III end up surviving about as long as an adult poptop would. Plus, their ranged attacks look a lot cooler than any of the attacks the uniques use.