Questions and theories about possible Stardew Lore.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Relenanator, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Dwarfus

Dwarfus Big Damn Hero

The characters that intrigue me the most by far are Krobus and the Dwarf, which is probably very obvious. There are so many things I want to know about them, and I'd love for there to perhaps be more heart events involving them in the future. Like, does the Dwarf have a real name? Are they male, female, or neither, seeing as no pronouns are used in reference to them in game? Are they wearing a hood or a helmet? Does Krobus have arms like the other shadows? And perhaps my biggest question of all:
    WHAT IS HALEY'S DAMAGE WITH THE PRISMATIC SHARD??? Literally everybody else in the game loves it but her, and she full-on hates it! Is there a story behind that, maybe?

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I find it interesting that Haley of all people hates the prismatic shard. She's a stereotypical girly bimbo and she hates the most shiniest of all the shiny rocks. I definitely do wonder what her reason is.

• Relenanator

Relenanator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I always wounder where the ShadowBrutes and the Dwarfs original came from.

They must have had a lot of Void chickens running around at one time.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
        • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

The dwarves are theorized in-game to come from space. And I love that theory, it makes a lot of sense despite the fact they live underground.

No idea where the shadows are from or any of the other monsters for that matter.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Shadow Brutes are a variety of Void Spirit. Where is the Void? Well, if you want to say that the Junimo come from a 'higher' plane of existence, then why not the Void as a 'lower' plane of existence? Our reality is in the 'middle', sandwiched between these alternate dimensions. The Junimo place is perhaps a place of air and light, very like the human concept of a benevolent afterlife. The Void? A place of darkness and fire, like the levels of the mines Void Spirits dwell on. Maybe that's just coincidence, or maybe some human religious works in the Stardew world based their ideas of an afterlife off of these other places...

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Possibly...

Wizard: Outside planes. Communicator among them.

Higher elemental plane (juminos; ruler: Linus?)
              Human plane.
              Lower elemental plane (Void; beasts; ruler: Jas.)

• Relenanator

Relenanator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the Juminos are just simple forest spirits. Not like Angles or anything. I would guess, most of the time, they in deep forest areas away from humans. If anyone is on the higher elemental plane it's their god Yoba.
                As for Shadow Brutes, It certainly seems rational that they would come from a lower elemental plain, but then that begs the question - why would the early Dwarfs chase them out of a place like that? What would they possibly want within a void?

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Minerals and gems. The Dwarves seem rapacious for all that glitters. If the Shadow Brutes live in a place with lots of gemstones (as there are deep within the mines), the Dwarves would just love to get their Jawa-hands on them.

• Dwarfus

Dwarfus Big Damn Hero

Kinda a necro here, but something just keeps nagging at me. Why exactly is Krobus all by himself in the sewers like that? I get the feeling that he's some sort of social outcast among the Shadows, but if that's true, why? He even makes a point to assure you that he's "not like the others." Could it have to do with his lack of arms? Now, one could argue that perhaps he has them and they're just laying at his side, but I'm not sure about that. His body shape is pretty much identical to that of a Void Spirit, and even when standing still like Krobus is most of the time, you can clearly see their arms. And when Void Spirits move, their arms sway. You don't see that when Krobus moves, as seen in the scene with him and the Dwarf.

Or maybe it could just be that they see him as "soft." The other Shadows attack you on sight in the mines, but he's friendly. And during the scene between him and the Dwarf, you can tell that he doesn't want to fight. The Dwarf was clearly the instigator, and Krobus even tried to apologize before it got out of hand. And even still, the best insult he could come up with was "shrimpy."

I'm still praying for more Dwarf and Krobus scenes in Patch 1.1 that might shine more light on the both of them.

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Well, Krobus states at one point that he has been observing the people in town, and knows that humans like to trade, so he opened up shop in the sewers, I am unsure why he is there in the first place (still working on that slow friendship meter) but he clearly dislikes conflict.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                      • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I still can't talk to Krobus - every time I click him the shop interface comes up instead. With the dwarf, he talks to me a couple times and then I get the shop window. Not sure what the issue is.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Tosh, thread's barely been cold a week. It's not a necro unless you dig the shriveled remains of a thread up after six months or a year. Anyhow. I think you've got it right, Krobus seems to be an oddball among his kind for his interest in human society and a willingness not to bite and scratch. I can picture him as the 'odd one out' for being the one Shadow Brute who sees a human and goes, 'Huh! I wonder how that thing works!' as opposed to 'Grrah, I wonder how that thing tastes.' Krobus seems to be the one Orc in Mordor who just wants to play the clarinet and fingerpaint.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I know Krobus doesn't talk on fridays. I forgot why, but I think it's something about paying his respect to Yoba or something along those lines.

And I don't visit him often on other days, so I'm not sure how frequently he talks when it's not friday. I really only ever go to him to get that friday sprinkler xD

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I have mixed results in getting dialogue from Krobus.
                              Hey guys one time I saw a Void Slime in the mines. ((Only 1one out of all the time in the mines.)) So that was something? I guess void things really do have some weird connection to the mines. ((Spirits/slimes/chickens))

• LuthienNightwolf

Are you talking about the black ones? I see those occasionally, they usually have some kind of special drop when you kill them. I think the Witch can also turn all the slimes in your hutch into black slimes too, that happened on my last save.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                                • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Yep.
                                  And void slimes were my first void oddly enough. It's just something that struck me as odd with the whole Krobus void egg thing.
                                  I wonder what connection the witch has to the void people. It's odd how they naturally occur and she does this.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

There was a complaint in an earlier thread about the witch doing just this to someone who had spent a great deal of time getting to the point of possessing a herd of purple slimes. He was pretty steamed, as I recall.

I have no idea where the witch or the fairy fit into the grander scheme of things. Likely enough, they're just more of the magic that surrounds the community, without any direct link to the rest.

• LuthienNightwolf

I've not had the fairy visit on either of my two saves so far, and I got the witch once on my old save, she flew over my slime hutch. I only had one slime at the time, so she didn't really damage much. I ended up killing the whole lot of them though because I got tired of being slimed every time I went in, and opted to just wait until I got the slime charmer ring and start over.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

We know from his own dialogue that the Witch is the Wizard's ex-wife, though there's no mention of what drove them apart. Perhaps his having a fling with a certain green-haired girl in town? Given his ex-wife has green skin, it seems likely the Wizard has a thing for girls with green.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, to me the SDV universe is like a universe you'd find in a fairytale. Magic and magical creatures/beings is just a thing in this world. Wizards, fairies, witches, junimos, it's just a thing in this universe.