1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Race Base Racebase V2.1

A handy tool to help you create races

1. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

C0bra5 submitted a new mod:

Base Race V1.0 - A handy tool to help you create races

Read more about this mod...

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

How complete of a race example mod is this? Does it cover the basics only, or does it get into the frills like NPCs, custom weapons and armors, etc.?

3. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

This is really the basics, it adds all there is needed for a race to start.
    This includes:
    Ai files,
    Suits
    Window Config
    Bases for the humanoid, though i plan on adding some template psds to help with the development.
    .species file
    humanoidconfig file
    spaceship assignment
    player.config assignment,
    instructions in most of the pages for the more complicated stuff
    custom starting quest templates,
    and many other thing i can't remember off the top of my head because it's 11pm

Items are left out since the design of the armor should either be created by the mod author or by reusing the vanilla ones, there isn't much of a point to actually put some templates in there since these will be made by the author.

It might be a good idea to add the tenant, but again there isn't much point since there will be no chance to force them to spawn all the time since the base doesn't come with objects.

4. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Um so I'm creating a race that I'm planning on giving different options for noses like Avian's beaks or preferably Apex's beards, but I'm unsure quite how to add that with the base. There's no 'options' folder, that I'm seeing, that expands it to those other races. I was wondering if maybe I could get some help in that area?

5. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

The name of your facial hair or facial mask group in your .species will be the equivalent folder name in your humanoid folder, I have a working example in my pony modpack, link in my signature, the name of the group is eye, and in the corresponding humanoid folders you will find the eye folder that contains all the eye options

Kelthazan likes this.
  6. Kelthazan

Thanks! :D also, you wouldn't happen to know how I could find the Apex default beards? I'm thinking nose + beard combo!

7. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Since I prefer training to giving, go look in the apex.species and find the beard group, if you have any idea how to add a group you'll know what to do

8. Kelthazan

I don't, but I'm sure I'll figure it out : D thanks again! There should be a step-by-step guide somewhere that points me in the right direction - a first race guide o 3o. Thought someone made one awhile back.

9. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Your unpacked assets directory/humanoid/apex/beard

10. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Also don't forget to unpack your game's assets otherwise you will never find them

11. Kelthazan

Triple thanks! Figured out how to unpack everything and found them. : D aaand now for some editing and I'll have some scrappy space-goblins soon enough. Thanks again for the help!

12. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

C0bra5 updated Race Base with a new update entry:

A bit more help

Read the rest of this update entry...

Kelthazan likes this.
  13. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Excellent :D I wanna work on my Poididae ideas once Starbound hits 1.0, so having a new version of a race startup would be good!

14. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

The thing isn't 1.0 ready I plan on starting to port all of my mods starting on Saturday

15. XMeteor

XMeteor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wait so how do I make a codex or a quest?
    I tried doing it and every custom character I made deleted itself.

16. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

You copy and edit minor values in a vanilla codex file, or quest file. Make sure to unpack your game assets, and follow proper JSON formatting (don't delete " or ,s). Also use the starbound.log file found in your giraffe_storage folder (the storage folder in Nightly) to be alerted to errors in your mod, and make sure you have file extensions enabled on Windows before you start complaining about not being able to find it. Do not use any of the numbered starbound.log files.

17. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Sometimes when a character has an existential requirement such as a starting codex, they will actually not show up until you fix the codex and never will if you rename it to something new, I have some in my pony modpack if you need an example

18. Insanity's Requiem

Insanity's Requiem Void-Bound Voyager

I plan to make Ken Ashcorps little adorable panda as a Sprite, but since she is Female I don't know how I would go about making only a female sprite or the Heart that she has. Would I only make a Female Sprite and one hair sprite or multiple hair sprites and a male sprite? I have a lot of questions.

19. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

here are my answers to these questions

Q: What about the body sprite?
    A: Just have both gender just use the same sprites. and just make the male sex have the same gender image in the character creation and suits files, for the character creation interface don't just delete the male options as you could one day want to make a male variant and not having a male variant will just make the job more tedious.

here are the locations of the suits and character creation interface images

Suits:
    interface/ai/suits/
    tech/skins/breathprotection/suits
    tech/skins/coldprotection/suits
    tech/skins/heatprotection/suits
    tech/skins/radiationprotection/suits

Character Creation Interface
    interface/title

Q: Is is ok to only have a single hair option?
    A: Having only a single hair option is fine, you can make more down the line if you want but as long as it isn't in your head.png sprite it's ok because otherwise it won't be masked by the mask.png of most of the armors or any thing that is supposed to mask the hair for that matter.

Q: What about the heart on the face?
    A: use the facial mask group to allow the customization of the heart on the face, facial hair group will also be affected by the hair color so facial hair group is what you are looking for.
    1. Instructions:
      1. Create a folder in your humanoid folder called hearts or whatever it's called
      2. The .frame is the same thing as the head .frame or the hair .frame, so you can just copy it over to your new folder. keep the name to default as it will allow you to have 1 single .frame for all of your options.
      3. Now just copy the head.png from your humanoid folder.
      4. you should now have something like this
        upload_2016-5-8_12-53-6.png
      5. Now just copy the the head.png so that you will always have a backup of the original thing close.
      6. open the copied file into a graphical editor, that supports layering such as gimp, paint.net or Photoshop(i personally recommend Photoshop since it is the most versatile, and also finding a cracked cs6 version isn't really hard at all).
      7. create a new layer over the head.png layer.
      8. draw some sort of heart desing over the head.
      9. delete the head.png layer or make it invisible depending on your editor.
      10. export or save as a .png and call it something that is easy to remember.
      11. now go to the .species file, replace these lines
        upload_2016-5-8_13-3-37.png
        by these lines
        upload_2016-5-8_13-5-8.png
        now you interface will behave a bit like this
        Skin Color | Facial Mask Option
        Hair Color | Hair Option
        Shirt | Shirt Color
        Pants | Pants Color
        Personality
      12. in the gender array for both sexes, set the name of the facialmaskgroup to the name of the folder you created on step 1.
      13. in the facial mask array add the name of the file you made that has the heart desing you created but don't leave the extention or path, let's say your called heart1.png, you would end up having something a bit like that:
        upload_2016-5-8_13-10-2.png
      14. rince and repeat step 5 to 10 then 13 until you have all the options you want
      15. please not that if you aren't going to have a visible state for your climb animation it is perfectly correct to cut the image at 43 pixel high. If you need more reference you can look how the devs made the avian beak of the eyes in my pony modpack.
    Welp i hope this helps.

20. krab421

krab421 Void-Bound Voyager

sorry to interupt but theres absolutely NO race bace mod that coveres armor and other things ant clueless peaple like me have no idea on how to make armor and the rest and if you do this you will achieve IMMORTAL GLORY, thanks beforehead