1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Race Base Racebase V2.1

A handy tool to help you create races

1. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Actually, I left these out on purpose. While I do give out the race base files, I only do so because creating all the files takes a really long time and it's not exactly self descriptive. My goal is to give something to start with, not to give out the whole thing at once. In the way I see it, That would just be the equivalent of learning the answers to a test before taking it. I prefer leaving "learning" gaps that only require the mastery of a single main concept. armor and weapons are a good example since you only need to copy a folder containing their files in to your own mod, change their "itemName" key value in all the text files and you have a new item. It's really not that hard. you could have found that out by just looking how 2 different armor files are different from one an and an other and doing a bit of exploration on your own.

Modding Starbound is all about pattern recognition, and from past experiance, just giving someone a detailed chart about something will cause them to just focus on what's on the chart and not look further than that. I made race base in a way so that it would not be enough to create anything that would work as a standalone mod, but that would still require learning around the base and how the race mechanics works in the game to be used at it's full potential. A good example is how I didn't add NPCs and dialog files. Just by giving a single look into the dialog files one should be capable to know how to add these. Learning isn't about just about being told about how something specific works but also about learning how to recognize thing that works or looks in a similar way. A good example is how every single extensions in the game files must follow a certain template that requires a specific set of keywords. Once you understand that concept, I doubt one would have a problem making any set of armor.

2. SomeOtherGuy

SomeOtherGuy Title Not Found

Has this been updated for 1.0? If it isn't, do you have an estimate for when you expect it to be finished?

3. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

it hasen't been updated yet as i am still fixing my main mod...
    as for an eta, once i finish updating my modpack i'll start updating the base, but if you want a date well have this:
    [​IMG]

4. Xilosc

Xilosc Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having an issue where my new race isn't showing up in the character creation screen. I have an extended UI mod and my other custom races are showing. I can hover over the next blank space and select my race, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the face image won't work. I even tried substituting in the malehuman.png and femalehuman.png and renaming them. the "character image" : <path> is correctly pointing to the png, but still nothing. Ever run into this before or have any ideas?

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

6. Xilosc

Xilosc Void-Bound Voyager

That's actually the one i started with, i ended up here with a google search looking for other people that had this issue. I keep comparing the species files between my race, the default races, and custom races like Avali and Viera. The code looks the same [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I don't know if there's something else I'm missing but it's late and I've been scouring code for too long ( x.x) If you can think of anything that'd be awesome, if not I'll try to ask over on the other thread tomorrow. Thanks though!

7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

The only way I can satisfactorily debug your issue is by looking at the assets themselves. Feel free to zip them up and send them my way if you'd like me to understand the cause of your issue better.

8. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

C0bra5 updated Race Base with a new update entry:

1.x update

Read the rest of this update entry...

9. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

C0bra5 updated Race Base with a new update entry:

_metadata fix

Read the rest of this update entry...

10. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

11. OmnipotentDesolation

OmnipotentDesolation Void-Bound Voyager

i used this and its pretty easy but now when i try running my game with my race in it, my game crashes after the loading screen (the one before the title screen) help pls :,)

Attached Files: