Mob Ragdolls!!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Slendamon, Jan 9, 2013.

?

Ragdoll, Collapse Animation, or InstaGib?

1. Ragdoll! I love physics

81.7%
  2. Collapsing animations, im a simpleton

5.6%
  3. Gibs... I just love blood

12.7%
  1. Slendamon

Slendamon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In the msot recent livestream by Tiy, he stated that upon death, the mobs would not gib (unless hit by a bazooka) and instead could have a simple collapsing animation or become a ragdoll. I just want to say, that would be amazing....

2. TheMarineKing

TheMarineKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hrmmm, Interesting, but it's kinda hard to implement ragdolls in a sprite based game.

Redheat likes this.
  3. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

As stated above me, considering there isn't really an actual model, it's rather hard to impose real physics on it, other than simple concepts such as gravity.

4. Hugt

Hugt Phantasmal Quasar

Ragdolls should be able to work. If you can have exploding gibs and such that rely on physics, you should be able to have a body flopping around... all dead and such :badpokerface: But then there's the collisions and the engine...

Who knows? Looks like we'll find out soon!

creca and GunmanRex like this.
  5. Pazius

Pazius Pangalactic Porcupine

Ragdolls and pixel art don't mix well at all. It's possible but they won't look good.

I'd rather have collapsing animations and decomposing/persisting corpses.

6. Karamunin

Karamunin Big Damn Hero

For anyone in doubt of ragdoll physics working well in a 2D game, check out Cortex Command. :iswydt: It's a pretty awesome game and I had alot of fun moments thanks to its physics engine.

Rekalty, Squiddy, Slendamon and 2 others like this.
  7. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hi, I made this thread a long time ago. Here is the link.

I do want this as well.

It's a great game, ladders are jerks, but otherwise it's an excellent game.

8. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

Although it might be kinda cool to see our characters rag-doll upon death (a-la Happy Wheels or something) I agree that in a 2D sprite based game, it would look out of place. The only way to implement it would be for the arms (which already get modeled so they can rotate at any angle to aim), legs (which seem to be part of the main sprite) and maybe the head to become separated from the body of the character upon death, but remain connected by a virtual hinge point. Then the whole assembly of parts would have to be given rotational factors, separate collision checks, limits of motion etc to "rag doll" as the character falls. Imagining this in the game, it doesn't seem like it would fit well since the characters are animated manually by the artists and the bodies rotating would probably look odd.
    I would prefer a series of hand-made animations depicting our demise in as much loving detail as the cloning animations we've seen.
    There should be multiple animations (at least 3) for each type of death (ie shot, stabbed, drown, burnt, impact from fall etc) so the same animation doesn't happen every time we die from a certain cause.
    And we should definitely have persistent corpses (for players, NPCs and mobs) that can be looted, decay over time, and become skeletal perhaps disappearing eventually after a long period of time.

9. Squiddy

Squiddy Void-Bound Voyager

It is also a Sci-Fi, Sidecrolling, Shooter in which you can build. I don't see why it can't work. Honestly I don't care if it takes them longer to edit there engine to compensate for physics & Ragdolls.

Karamunin and Ricky150 like this.
  10. Artem

Artem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Random game should have random deaths in random adventures, desu.

11. Carcyn

Carcyn Void-Bound Voyager

I think ragdoll physics would be a good idea. And for people who don't like it they can change in the settings.

12. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

So the poll at the top .... can we have both rag dolling AND gibs?

13. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

Well I doubt they would let something just ragdoll after getting blown up by any explosive you may have.

14. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

As long as the rag dolls freak out over physics, yes please.

GunmanRex likes this.
  15. John5428

John5428 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anyone know the Crusitoise?
    Yes?
    Well, the ragdoll would have simmiliar physics as the shell that would pop out when you kill the Crusitoise.
    Here is a picture[​IMG]

16. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

That's an awesome idea, instead of a body fading in seconds, let some hang around and fade to a partial skeleton (removable of course) and a large pile of remains for the bosses, and even set up grave yard like areas on very hostile planets and in NPC villages, let an little area be able to be set up as an actual graveyard in case of "accidents".

17. John5428

John5428 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Idea! When a corpse decomposing is imminient, it would use the "poof" animation that is currently used in Starbound - Beta