1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Rails and perpetual motion.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Littleman9Mew2, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

I never realized how fun building with rails can be. Well, at least for the rail hook. I discovered a neat little quirk with the bumpers. If placed like so in the screenshot, the player will keep bouncing back and forth in the case of diagonal rails. With the a vertical bumper setup, you can go bounce as high as the wooden platform in the picture of about 7 blocks (right under the hotbar). This mechanic only seems to work with the bumper and rail set up like this, if the rail connects to anything, it wont work.

upload_2017-1-3_1-40-59.png

The rail can be anything, it can be a detector, but anything else like the switch and stopper makes the design impractical. There also must be at least a 1 tile gap for the perpetual motion bumper to work, otherwise it wont.

If hooked up properly, it can even be used to make a vertical system to move the player upwards. The staircase like design would be perfect for this!

Interestingly, you need to have a fair bit of motion if doing the vertical design, as only a little motion will not work. You only need enough speed for the rail hook to go off the rail.

I feel as though player roller coasters can now be a thing in vanilla! (for those who don't want to use mods)

(If you're wondering, no, the Mewtwo is a costume, not a race.)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

...What is this text font...? :rofl:

But yeah, I've never really tried anything with the rail system, considering how much time I spent on minetracks in minecraft I bet I would waste alot of time on this aswell. :proper:

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Why... why change the font to some ungodly size?

4. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

Sorry, my monitor makes the text really small. (and even smaller with Times new roman)

Edited text size

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Why change the text at all? You can zoom in to make text larger, you know that? Windows also has a magnifier tool, or you can straight up increase the text size for your whole computer.

6. LadyRavenSkye

LadyRavenSkye Lucky Number 13

...I really want to build a roller coaster now.