1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved RAR File for 1.1.0 Won't Extract (Humble)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by cgtinker, Sep 11, 2016.

1. cgtinker

cgtinker Void-Bound Voyager

First off, thanks for Starbound, folks. It's a great game and I'm still enjoying it. :)

Second.. seriously, RAR? I thought that died years ago, with good reason. Unremarkable proprietary compression that's unreliable and poorly cross-platform is just..ow.

So, I tried to decompress the RAR file for 1.1.0 from Humble*, for Linux, and it failed because "packed files are not supported"; the problem file, it turns out, was the 'packed.pak' file. Probably, RAR used filename extensions to identify some stupid proprietary extension to the RAR format, and it's mistaking the ".pak" file as one such extension file...which is apparently not supported on the trustworthy Linux unrar clients.

Compression via .zip or .tar.gz are more commonplace and fully supported by every distribution. .zip would even be cross compatible on platforms that don't usually understand tars, like Windows. There's really no call for something like .rar. :'(

Anyways, what are my options to resolve this? I can extract everything but packed.pak, so if someone could send me a copy for 1.1.0, I'd be good to go.

Thanks in advance!

*(md5sums match.. btw, md5sum is *also* broken and outdated, sha256 or better would be preferable for security)

2. It should be .zip for 1.1.1 (which is out now). From a quick survey of my Humble library, it seems everything there is md5 so that might be on Humble's end, in which case you should contact them regarding that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  3. cgtinker

cgtinker Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you, great news! I eventually got my install working, but I'm glad to hear that distributions in future will be less difficult to work with.

Keep up the great work! :)