Realisitc Mode

Discussion in 'Other' started by Ethric, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

There's been countless of ideas I've read where a 'realistic' mode would be an easy solution. Like in Fallout, Hardcore mode locks the game into 'Hard' difficulty and introduces sleeping, hydration, etc. into the game.

In Starbound, some aspects should be introduced:
    • Lock the world/character onto the hardest difficulty.
    • Hunger/Thirst.
    • Mobs deal more damage.
    • Most Status Inflictions won't heal overtime and must be taken care of.
    • Possibly more.
    It'll let players choose whether or not they want a challenge.

Dukie and Jermex like this.
  2. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

Oh boy. I'd love this. And why not add permanent death to that list? Or would that be too much?
    This game will already have exploration, discovery, combat, and so much more. Why not add a need and drive for actually keeping alive? Games these days are like, oh boy I died, better reload my save from two minutes ago.
    But I like games where you must survive or you lose everything. It's the reason I love Dwarf Fortress. You died? Too bad. Be more careful next time.

3. Riku

Riku Void-Bound Voyager

I think this is a really good idea. Debate whether the character should be lost upon death would definitely be the biggest concern. I think that mode shouldn't be character specific, but world specific. Because you could use a regular character to get upgrades, and just move them over to the realistic mode character, thus eliminating some of if not all the challenge.

4. Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

Permanent death options are kind of pointless, they don't add any sort of challenge. I understand that it makes you work harder to stay alive, but sometimes there are deaths that are out of your control. Say your mouse or keyboard or something stops working (I have a wireless keyboard)... or your antivirus or w/e pops up letting you know your stuff is now up to date, causing you to die and now you need to start over. I dunno, I just never really understood the need for perma death. [​IMG]

5. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

I guess it's the same reason people do Nuzlocke runs of Pokemon. You can't control the critical hits that end up killing your pokemon, but it makes the gameplay experience more meaningful. I'm not really sure how to explain it. Some people enjoy it, some people don't. I guess it's all a matter of preference.

6. Pinkie Pie

Yeah, but critical hits are a game mechanic. I'm not talking about deaths caused by game mechanics. [​IMG]

Edit: But to each their own I suppose.

7. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

Oh god, don't remind me of the Nuzlocke challenge :eek:.

OT: I believe that perma-deaths shouldn't be included (but instead, possibly as a separate option?), as some times it could be out of the player's hands whether they want to live or not.

Pinkie Pie likes this.
  8. Pinkie Pie

Yeah, I wouldn't mind them adding it... but as a separate option. Because I like idea of a Hardmode with all the stuff you've listed above, I'm just not too pinkie keen on Perma-Death. [​IMG]

9. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

Yeah I was gonna add the idea of having perma death optional, but I decided not to for some reason.
    It'd be cool if you could customize the game mode and add what you'd like, while leaving out what you don't want.

10. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

It would require a small chunk of options when creating a world. Not sure if others would like it, but I wouldn't mind.

11. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

I like this too.
    I am usually all for including a challenging survival aspect.

12. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

All we (you) needed to add would be something that made you only see in the direction you're looking at.

That'd mean:
    No seeing behind walls
    No seeing behind your back
    You'd have to look around more

It would most certainly add to the co-op experience. Walking (running) back to back, covering each other. One person mines, digs a tunnel, whatever, and the other person(s) would be guarding him. Might seem a little boring but it would mean you have to rely on your partner more, could be toggled.

13. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

I like the idea that there are some sort of illnesses (that are planet/species-specific, maybe) that you can't just blow over, that you really need to see a doctor about. That's brilliant.

~ockpii

14. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

See a doctor about? How much would he charge? Something like a disease and an expensive doctor could easily incapacitate a new player.

15. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

It would be interesting to see Doctors charge more or less depending on your progress.

I can see "no seeing behind walls" happen, but not being able to see behind your back is kind of hard to do on a side-scroller.

16. Asombra

Asombra Void-Bound Voyager

Good idea. Realy good.

17. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

Another thing I would like to propose is "Fog of War". This means that the the world is blacked out and you must move around if you want to reveal the fog. The fog will eventually gray out (but will be still slightly visible) if you don't visit that specific area for awhile. Of course the Fog revealing effect should have a large radius around the character, otherwise it would be too annoying to work with.

18. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Also, making bases (which will be a certain size) should make the FoW near it dissipate.

19. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

The more I think about it, the following things should reveal the fog:
    • Man-made structures that consists over 50 blocks
    • Home Base
    • Spawn
    • Bosses